Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2004, 07:13 AM
    Repair Corrian Counter
    Hi, my wife put a hot pot on the corrian counter top and this caused it to crack about 7 inches. What can I do to repair it? Anything especiallymade for this. I thought to use tub sealer, but don't want to miss up an expensive top. (more than it already is!)
    Dom
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Call a Pro
    If I am not mistaken, Corrian countertops are put together with a certain cement or glue and then sanded down to make them look seamless.

A pro might be able to match the same color and then sand it down so you would never see the crack again.

Someone correct me if I am wrong..
    Ken Perry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Scratches
    My Corrian countertops have slight scratches and have become dull. Is there anyway to bring back the shine and get rid of the scratches.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Nov 29, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Corian Fixes
    Dom,
    To fix your problem, contact a Corian installer. You will be much happier with the results. HarleyDS is correct in that they run a special "glue" that essentially welds the pieces together.

I have Corian in my kitchen that is ~35 feet long (10 feet on one wall, 18 feet on the next and an 8 foot peninsula) and it came in 4 sections. The only way that I can tell where the pieces are joined is to look underneath.

Ken, as to how to rejuvenate your countertop, you can use Scothbrite pads and even sandpaper to remove the scratches. Here is a link to Corians website for the care and feeding of Corian:
    http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/h/Care/index.html
    heaphy Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2006, 06:05 PM
    A helpful Corian repair website
    Check out this website for lots of information about Corian repairs - www.TopRepair.com.

If the countertop is less than 10 years old, you may possibly be eligible for repair service under DuPont's 10 Year Warranty for Corian. Call 1-800-4-CORIAN to file a claim.

- Jim
    coriansucks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
    DO NOT BUY CORIAN

For you future Corian or Zodaic customers. If you are considering purchasing either product, think again. My Corian countertop was installed in such a manner that a seam was placed over the dishwasher. One night, I heard a something like a gunshot and went down to investigate. I found that a two foot seam had split over the countertop. Through no fault of our own (it was the fabricator's really) my countertop was split. I filed the claim with their warranty department and was ultimately told that it was damage due to heat and not covered.

Now, not all damage due to heat is excluded. Damage due to "excessive heat" is excluded and is defined as placing a hot pan directly on the surface. We never did that and the surface of our Corain is spotless except for the crack. They sent Creative Fabricators to inspect the damage and learned that they are a rubber stamp for Dupont to deny claims. DO NOT USE THEM IN ANY CAPACITY.

If the above is not bad enough, you cannot speak with a supervisor at Dupont Surfaces. They will not put you through. The send you to an "Escalation Team" which consists of the original claims person, in this case, the useless Lysa Reid.

Dupont is a billion dollar company which will not stand by its products. STAY AWAY or you will be sorry at some point.

Jul 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coriansucks
    DO NOT BUY CORIAN

For you future Corian or Zodaic customers. If you are considering purchasing either product, think again. My Corian countertop was installed in such a manner that a seam was placed over the dishwasher. One night, I heard a something like a gunshot and went down to investigate. I found that a two foot seam had split over the countertop. Through no fault of our own (it was the fabricator's really) my countertop was split. I filed the claim with their warranty department and was ultimately told that it was damage due to heat and not covered.

Now, not all damage due to heat is excluded. Damage due to "excessive heat" is excluded and is defined as placing a hot pan directly on the surface. We never did that and the surface of our Corain is spotless except for the crack. They sent Creative Fabricators to inspect the damage and learned that they are a rubber stamp for Dupont to deny claims. DO NOT USE THEM IN ANY CAPACITY.

If the above is not bad enough, you cannot speak with a supervisor at Dupont Surfaces. They will not put you through. The send you to an "Escalation Team" which consists of the original claims person, in this case, the useless Lysa Reid.

Dupont is a billion dollar company which will not stand by its products. STAY AWAY or you will be sorry at some point.
    I dealt with the Corian warranty program on a regular basis for many years. I saw them help thousands of consumers solve problems with their countertops. I recommend that you appeal this decision denying your claim. Do so in writing, be polite, and emphasize that you did not place hot pots on the countertop and that you followed the care & maintenance procedures for the product. Written communication is always superior to phone calls. Your original fabricator should have reinforced the seam with a second layer of Corian bonded to the underside of the seam. Was this done? If not, you should file a written complaint with the fabricator, and ask them to help you solve your problem.

The sort of failure that you describe is rare but not unknown. Corian is a wonderful product but it is not indestructible. I have installed it in my own home. A competent repair technician can fix the problem and take steps to reduce the chance of a future failure. My website, Top Repair - Your Countertops Like New Again. DuPont Corian and Other Brands, has lots of information about countertop repair.

- Jim Heaphy
    coriansucks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I am sure that you have had a good relationship with Corian as I always see you site advertised first when I look for contractors to fix the damage. To address your statements, I have filed a written appeal with the "Escalation Team." I advised them of the fact that I did not place anything hot on top of the countertop, that the area above the dishwasher does get hot after the rinse and that the seam was placed in an area where it would be compromised due to the use of the machine.

I spoke and dealt extensively with a Lysa Reid who did not listen but rather kept repeating the statement "heat damage is not covered." I got a disclaimer letter from her when I initially filed the claim and then was told that my only recourse was to file an appeal. I did and was told that they hadn't received the letter. I faxed the letter and was told that Lysa Reid, there is that name again, will review it (obviuosly a slip up on that person's part) and then I would get a response. I got another response which stated that the warranty covered manufacturer's defects and installation defects but that our damage wasn't covered.

I did what I had to but they are all about the bottom dollar.

Just so you know, the only entity that does repairs such as these in my area, according to Dupont, is Creative Fabricators. They are the same company sent out to assess the damage and Dupont continually refers us to them in their rejection letters.

So Jim, while I may appear to be rude in my posting it is because of the treatment I have received at the hands of Dupont's claims people. What makes all of this worse is that I cannot speak to anyone but the robots who answer the phone because they will not put the customer through to supervisors or Officers in the claims department.

Should this company do the right thing, I am more than willing to retract these statements, but as of this moment, Dupont had failed me and from what I've read, they have failed countless others.

Jul 16, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Just so you know, my company has not had any formal businesss relationship with DuPont for over 2-1/2 years, so I am free to criticize them if I want. I am now completely independent and get the vast majority of my business direct from homeowners, contractors and commercial building owners. What I will say is that in the past, their interpretation of the terms of their warranty tended to be more lenient than it now is. You didn't mention whether their was a second layer of Corian installed as a reinforcement under the seam. If that is missing then that would be an installation defect or what is often called "fabricator error". Failure to reinforce the seam is fabricator arror, while positioning the seam above a dishwasher is not. If you contact me through my website, I may be able to refer you to someone close by who can help you. I am located in Northern California.
    Dee Beekman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Comment on heaphy's post
    Talked to other people and they gave me same advice but you were first

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Counter Offer [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to cancel a counter offer that has been accepted? If so how should I go about doing it?:confused:

How to remove cambria counter top [ 3 Answers ]

we need to remove a cambria kitchen bar top so we can lower the knee wall and reinstall, the installer won't come back. The knee wall is 2x4 with sheetrock and the Cambria was glued on top with liquid nails Any help would be greatly appreciated

Corian Counter [ 2 Answers ]

What tool would you use to cut Corian? I have a piece from an old kitchen counter that I want to cut into a 20"x20" cutting board. It is about 3/4" thick and the longest cut I have to make is about 24". Thanks

Hampton Bay under counter lighting [ 3 Answers ]

I've purchased Hampton Bay under cabinet lighting set, 3 hockey puck type lights. The kit comes plugs and switch to work in conjunction with a hot outlet. I would like to have these lights work on a tradition in wall switch. I have already increased my light switch box from 1 to 2 and the...

Counter-Strike [ 3 Answers ]

Ok does anyone know how to change your spray logo on Halflife: CounterStrike? If you know how please tell me..

View more questions Search