Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ctoro99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Where to tap into and oulet circuit for lighting?
    I have been reading some old responses from tkrussell about wiring a new basement. Very good information and very useful. But can someone (or tk) tell me where or how do I tap into say, a circuit running a series of outlets across some rooms? I know I need a 20 Amp breaker and GFI for a bathroom and a AF tolerant breaker for the bedroom. Just had a subpanel installed since the existing one was filled to capacity. I now have space for six new breakers.

Do I have to go in at the very end of a circuit (last outlet) or do I need to keep the outlets and lights separate. This basement will have one bedroom, full bath, den with kitchenette and a storage room. If this question has been answered and some one can just point me to it that will be a great help too.

Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 01:13 PM

You need to have an electrician run new circuits from the subpanel to the bedroom and the bath.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 04:11 AM
    The den and kitchenette both need separate 20 Amp circuits also, in addition to the separate circuits required by the bath and bedroom.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 04:39 AM

Just a small clarification. An Arc Fault breaker is not Tolerant of arcs. Its purpose is is to detect what appears to be the electrical signature for an Arc.

If an arc is detected, the breaker will trip. This will kill the circuit and hopefully prevent a fire.
    ctoro99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Thanks for the information guys.

One thing, I thought I could use a 15 amp circuit for the den and need 20 amps for bedrooms, kitchen and unfinished areas.

Had an electrician installed the subpanel who told me how to run the circuit from it.
    I just got stuck on the adding a light circuit to a run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diodes for lighting circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for a diode that I can use in my ceiling fan, 120v circuit. Is there such a thing? What I'm trying to accomplish is pure laziness.. I want my fan to operate on a different circuit than my light that is on it, so I could hit the light switch on the wall and turn off the light, but...

Lighting Circuit Blowing Bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of repairing a DJ light system with a knackered transformer. It was causing the internal fuses to blow, so I've replaced the transformer, but it's now taken to blowing the bulbs within it. I'm guessing this is due to too high a voltage, or too much current flowing, but I...

Lighting circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Doing some minor work to lighting in a 1957 house. The circuit seems modern(ish) but has 3 wires plus earth (instead of 2 plus earth) coloured yellow, red and blue. Need assistance understanding circuit and adding lights.

How many lights on a 15A lighting circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! First post and thanks in advance, hopefully! I was wondering how many lights I can put on a 15A lighting circuit. I have a second floor that I want to put a (1) hall light, (3) closet lights, & (1) bedroom light. Would it be too much to put a bathroom vanity light and a vent...

View more questions Search