Recall recall recall please read

Asked Jan 7, 2009, 02:49 PM 15 Answers
    This book has some nasty errors on wiring. Many home owners use this kind of book to do wiring in there home and this is why I posted the warning.
    Asso see Gov web site for more info

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09078.html

NEWS from CPSC

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs

Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    December 30, 2008Release #09-078
    Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 477-8727
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Faulty Instructions Prompt Recall of Electrical Wiring How-to-Books by The Taunton Press; Shock Hazard to Consumers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
    Name of Product: Wiring a House, 3rd Edition and Wiring Complete, Expert Advice from Start to Finish Instructional Books
    Units: About 64,000
    Publisher: The Taunton Press, of Newtown, Conn.
    Hazard: The books contain several errors in the technical diagrams that could lead consumers to incorrectly install or repair electrical wiring, posing an electrical shock hazard to consumers.
    Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
    Description: The recall involves the 3rd Edition of Wiring a House. The paperback book’s cover is white and yellow and has a photograph of a man wiring a panel. ISBN #978-1-56158-942-5 is printed on the back cover. Wiring Complete, Expert Advice from Start to Finish is paperback and has a green, black and white cover that shows hands wiring an electrical wall receptacle.
    Sold at: Home improvement stores, book stores, and various other retailers nationwide from February 2008 through November 2008 for about $25.
    Manufactured in: United States
    Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the books and return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
    Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Taunton at (800) 477-8727 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site www.taunton.com

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by hvac1000; Jan 7, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
    To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must
    observe.
    donf's Avatar
    donf Posts: 5,197, Reputation: 544
    Printers & Electronics Expert

#2

Jan 7, 2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the information!
    Stratmando's Avatar
    Stratmando Posts: 10,788, Reputation: 486

#3

Jan 20, 2009, 05:32 PM

I scratch my head when I look at the bottom picture.
    1) I like to twist wires tight with Kleins, not hold with needlenose.
    2) I would use Decora style switches, and use a 3 gang decora plate, not a mix and match.
    3) wondering what the 3 blacks are for? If romex, 1 would be white as a traveller, not 2 black travellers.

It would have been a better picture for Drywalling, Very nice cutting around the box, and didn't tear up the wires.
    justincaseme's Avatar
    justincaseme Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

#4

Jan 23, 2009, 05:40 PM

Say it ain't so Rex!

How's the Black Cover 2002 edition? Is that one good?
    hvac1000's Avatar
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 434
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

#5

Jan 24, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Check the back of the cover the for the ISBN or call them. Electric work can be difficult especially if you have a bad guide book. The guys on the Electric question board here do a fantastic job of answering questions corrrectly so whenever in doubt post the question and I am sure they will figure it out.

ISBN #978-1-56158-942-5

For additional information, contact Taunton at (800) 477-8727 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site www.taunton.com
    justincaseme's Avatar
    justincaseme Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

#6

Mar 18, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    3) wondering what the 3 blacks are for? if romex, 1 would be white as a traveller, not 2 black travellers.?

It would of been a better picture for Drywalling, Very nice cutting around the box, and didn't tear up the wires.
    Okay Stratmando, I need you to fill me in on the Kleins comment. I read an edition of Rex's book that hasn't been recalled. I've been using the pig-tail method it describes for my outlets, as opposed to daisy-chaining. I've gotten decent at twisting all the wires together in a nice braid with my right hand, while holding the wires steady with my left. Rex's book never got into the technique of twisting though, just the result you should end with. So I use needle nose pliers in my left hand to secure the bundle and to keep the insulated portions from twisting. I turn the stripped portions with my right-hand, and the process is very awkward. Inevitably some of the wires in the bundle aren't tightly secured in the pliers due to imperfections in the tool and minor gauge variances.

So tell me more about this marvelous Klein device for my left hand. A Google search brings up quite a few Klein tools and I'm not sure which you mean.

Klein, Wire Cutters
    Stratmando's Avatar

#7

Mar 18, 2009, 05:33 PM

justincaseme,
    "So tell me more about this marvelous Klein device for my left hand. A google search brings up quite a few Klein tools and I'm not sure which you mean".

I appologize, some local Electricians have Kleins, I have Mostly Klein Tools for Electrical, But when anyone says a pair of Kleins, they usually mean these:
    http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/...ne_w001450.php

If connecting several wires, I will strip back about 3/4-1", twist with my Kleins in my Right Hand(I'm right handed)South Paw woud use left to hold their Kleins, and wires in their right hand. I twist all tight with Kleins, cut square off, then wirenut.
    Like I was saying about the photo, The wirenut appears like he is about to turn counterclockwise, and not twisting wires tight, relying on wirenut for strength?
    Another stupid thing I feel is he is just now making up the grounds, a switch and receptacle is already in place.
    Personally I make up grounds in a switch box, tuck them away, then the neutrals, you are left with hot and switchlegs, connect to switches.
    Stratmando's Avatar

#8

Mar 19, 2009, 06:44 AM

I just noticed the Neutral in the middle lug, Many panels the 3rd(far right lug)is neutral?
    Dpfiling's Avatar
    Dpfiling Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

#9

Apr 22, 2009, 01:49 AM

Proof positive that you can't believe everything you see.
    14u2c's Avatar
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

#10

Jan 17, 2010, 09:36 PM

To top al that off if you examine closely the switch is single pole no need for travelers at all.. also the ground wire comment I would agree... you grab the entire wad of grounds and twist the whole thing together tightly cut of then wire nut.. how he is doing it would be very easy for a ground to come undone!

Recall aim e-mail via AOL? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I recall an AIM e-mail via AOL if I sign onto an AOL account with the same screen name and request a recall?

Pet food recall [ 1 Answers ]

Mars petcare maker of Pedigree and other products have recalled some dog foods. Go to mars petcare us for press release and brands affected.

Lucida-ds recall! [ 1 Answers ]

It's a shame, what a shame!! People Beware! Next time you think of buying Glutathione supplement, do not rely on exaggerated advertisement and Promotion, see what happened to Lucida-DS, the supposed #1 Brand that turned out to be a BIG CHEAT! Once a product's credibility's gone, it's gone. ...

Warranty or recall [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if there is a recall or any kind of warranty on a Ducane Model MPGA075B3 Ser# 636608003B. I am having problems with the Flame rollout switch I have to reset it almost every time my heat kicks on and off. I was told it could have a crack in the heat exchanger. I just moved into...

Password Recall [ 5 Answers ]

On some occasions, when I type in a user name then go to enter a password, I get a message asking if I want to have Windows remember the password. If I do, then the next time I enter my user name and click on the password block, the password is automatically loaded. Question--is there a way to...