Cost of converting fuse box to circuit breakers

Asked May 22, 2007, 08:44 PM 18 Answers
    I have a 100 amp electrical service using a fuse box to which a small circuit breaker panel was added (see photo). I would like to convert the whole service to a 150 amp circuit breaker panel. I live in Rochester, Minnesota. What is your estimate of the cost of this conversion?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stratmando's Avatar
    Stratmando Posts: 10,788, Reputation: 486

#2

May 23, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Aprox. $500.00=$800.00 should be able to get panel swapped out. Labor and Materials.
    Pulling new(Bigger wire may be necessary)1/0 is OK for 150 Amp. Smaller and you can't.
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 26,081, Reputation: 2201
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

#3

May 23, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Tell us a bit about the sub panel below your main. What is it controlling?
    macbb61's Avatar
    macbb61 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

#4

May 23, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Tell us a bit about the sub panel below your main. What is it controling?
    We remodeled our kitchen and added a 3 season porch and deck about 10 years ago. The subpanel has five 20 amp circuits for the porch and deck and recessed lights and microwave in the kitchen. I think that the electrician who added those circuits should have recommended replacing the old panel. I won't be hiring him again. I assume that whoever replaces the main panel will get rid of the subpanel as well. Thanks for asking.
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

#5

May 24, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Sub looks OK but you would likely do well to have it all in one panel. Can't quite see by the pics but you should consider GFI for the deck and porch areas.
    Stratmando's Avatar

#6

Jun 5, 2007, 02:38 PM
    All in one panel is better. Your Electrician was not bad. That little panel saved you money at the time. Didn't necessarily need to upgrade. I would have suggested converting to breakers, when adding those 4 circuits.
    Did he miss the board?
    macbb61's Avatar
    macbb61 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

#7

Jun 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
    You are right – the electrician did a good job overall and probably saved me money by using the little panel. But I think he should have given me the option of going to a single panel with circuit breakers. Home sellers in my area often have to convert to circuit breaker panels prior to selling. It is my understanding that it is the insurance companies that are forcing the issue and that it is one of the things that realtors always check on.
    Miss the board? He added a mounting board for the small panel directly below the fuse panel.
    Stratmando's Avatar

#8

Jun 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
    I see the board. Part of the panel is on and part is off. It is safe enough. Just not how I do.
    I'm kind of picky.
    If all phone wiring is from above, and if you're capable of relocating phone connections,
    Would consider moving box up, cleaning up wiring. Don't cut wires too short.
    Washington1's Avatar
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36
    Senior Member

#9

Jun 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
    If you would like an estimate for a service change--depending on your over head service conductors, or service laterals, then you should consult an electrical contractor.

Just to give you an idea--our area is no less than $2200 for a service change, and could run you close to $4000-$5000 (mainly union shops) with some contractors. If your service wire from your serving utility can accept the load, then you may just need a panel change. It depends!

$800 is not realistic in our area
    Stratmando's Avatar

#10

Jun 7, 2007, 05:56 AM
    I did miss "existing 100 Amp service", I was talking about panel, breakers, 3 Hours.
    Closer to $800-$1000.00
    The cost of Copper will greatly affect the cost.(Length of run). Meter and riser wires could be good. I see it is difficult to give estimate for job not seen.
    I live in an area where Money People moved in, Many of the older and good people down here have been dropped. Most Electricians going after The Developers, and "Big Money"Leaving Regular People screwed. I do Ok at $80.00@ Hr, No real Overhead.
    Bigger companies I have worked for would create unnecessay work, or drag jobs out to keep help working.
    In an 8 Hour day, I would toun in 10 hous of billable time. Boss wou say"How do you do that in 8 Hour day"?I would say"30 minute to trouble shoot and repair, I still charge an hour" He would say he can't get the others to put in 6.
    I was running him out of work. These BOYs I worked with were unqualified helpers,
    Who bragged about running off Masters and Journeymans. It was like a day care gone bad. I HAD to start own company.

Circuit breakers [ 16 Answers ]

I purchased and ready to install a new diahwasher. The instructions call for a 15 amp circuit breaker. The current breaker is a 10 amp breaker solely for the dishwasher. Can I use the 10 amp or should I change the breaker to 15 amp? How difficult would it be to change?

Price for converting fuses to breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if someone can give me a "rough" estimate on what I can expect to pay to have my fuse box converted to circuit breakers. I already did some price research at HomeDepot and found a decently sixe Box for about $63 which includes the "guts". Then I found matching breakers for about...

Adding Breakers to Existing Box [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement in a large 8 year old home. We've added about 1500 sq feet in the basement and 5-6 new circuits. The breaker box, and a sub panel are full, with several mini breakers. We've been told that as part of the final electrical inspection a "load analysis" will be done....

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

It seems so far that our kitchen is wired all on the same circuit. When we use the oven and microwave or the microwave and the toaster oven which is on the other side of the room the breaker trips. That breaker is currently 15amps. Would it be all right to change that breaker to a 25 or 30 amp for...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...