Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amzz Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Physics, The Work-Energy PRINCIPLE
    A 25-kg box slides, from rest, down a 9.0-m-long incline that makes an angle of
    15° with the horizontal. The speed of the box when it reaches the bottom of the
    Incline is 2.4 m/s.
    (a) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box
    And the surface of the incline?
    (b) How much work is done on the box by the
    Force of friction?
    (c) What is the change in the potential energy of the box? :confused:
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:29 AM

1. Have a sketch, on which you draw the forces acting on the box.

a) Find the force acting on the box, perpendicular to the slope. (use trigonometry)
    Find the acceleration of the box with friction using the motion formula (Initial speed u is zero)
    Find the force on the box, with friction.
    Subtract the actual force from the estimated force without friction, to get the force due to friction.

b) Work = Force due to friction x Displacement

c) Potential Energy = Mass x Acceleration due to gravity x Height

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Work, energy, power [ 1 Answers ]

Rowan and jean are tobogganing on an old pasture with rolling hills. At A the hill is 14m high; at B, 2.8m, at A, the toboggan is just beginning to slide. a)if there is no loss of mechanical energy, what is the velocity of the toboggan at B? b) if 25% of the mechanical energy at A is lost by B,...

Work and Energy [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to work on this Physics problem for hours now, and I'm not getting anywhere... a box has 500 J of work done on it by an applied force. How fast will it move after the work is done? That's not the exact question, but that's the idea. I know the general formula is W=(Fs) cos......

Physics (Conservation of Energy) [ 1 Answers ]

A 100g arrow is pulled back 75cm with an average force of 290N, aimed upwards, and released. Use the law of conservation of energy to solve these problems. a) Neglecting air resistance, how high should the arrow go? b) If the arrow went up 149m, how much work was done against air resistance?...

Momentum,energy physics [ 2 Answers ]

Please could you help me with these problems..Thanks in advance for your help. 14.) A person moves a large box across a level floor by applying a horizontal force of 300 N. If the person pushes the box a distance of 6 meters in 10 seconds, how much work does the person do on the box?a. 180...

View more questions Search