Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tandemsforus Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2008, 06:24 AM
    What size motor will converter run
    Hi
    I have a rotary converter that turns single phase into three phase. The motor on the converter says it is 5 hp. How can I tell what size 3 phase motor it will run
    Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Best to consult the manufactuer of your specific unit.

Here is a link to one of the more popular ones, look for Rotary Converter Sizing Chart link at the bottom.

3 Phase Converter Info- Sales- rotary phase converter, static 3 phase rotary converters.

If this is not your manufacturer, Google "Rotary Phase Converter".
    tandemsforus Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Thanks tk
    I got the 5 hp converter used with a band saw I bought. It was used and has no manufacture named.
    I looked at the site you recommended. Very informative.
    Here is the rest of my question. Maybe I should have asked it from the start. I also have a planer that has a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor. Per the information I read, from the site, it says I need a 20 hp, 15kw converter for hard start applications. Does that sound right to you? It takes a 20 hp , 15 kw converter motor to run a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor? The cost of the converter is $1495, I can buy a single phase 7.5 hp motor for $5-600 dollars. As I read the info it would be 1/3-1/2 the price just to replace the 3 phase with a single phase.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
    See if there is a code letter on the nameplate. Motors can draw 300-600% of their rating upon starting. See: motorsanddrives.com - Locked Rotor Code Letters

Taking 7.5 HP * 746 W/HP =~ 5,6 KVA (some conversions thrown in)

15 KVA / 5.6 is about 2.7 X, so it's a reasonable assumption.

Don't forget to consider the wiring requirements which includes capacity and breaker space and disconnects, labor and inspections in your calculations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Benefit of bldc motor compare with pmsm motor or blac motor [ 1 Answers ]

in the name of god hi every body what is benefit of brush less dc motor and brush less ac motor. And when we use bldc and when blac? What is different of them? I know that bldcs have trapezial emf and blacs have sin emf.

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

Torque converter clutch solonoid valve circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new (used) transmission in my 02 civic. I am getting an error code... flashing d light. The code is p1753. The car drives but is sluggish in the low end. Any input as to shere and what I am going after. I still have the core so ican draw parts off the old transmission. What am I...

Capacitor size change for blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

general electric motor, direct drive, 5uf cap First check: when heat exchanger reached temp, the relay clicked but the blower fan just hummed. The bearings seem OK as a slight push causes a rotation that continues for some time. Also, such a slight push causes it to run fine for the cycle. ...

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

View more questions Search