Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nathanbg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 03:15 PM
    New Can lights Tripping the breaker
    I jumped the power for three 55w can/flush lights from an existing outlet. The outlet still works. The lights are wired in parallel and will work perfectly if wired without a switch. As soon as you put the switch in there and turn it on, it trips the breaker. I can't figure it out - I even tried a 20 amp switch and no luck. Any ideas what I've done wrong?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 16, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Maybe you can tell us how you wired it. :confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 04:09 PM
    If you are going from light to light and same colors kept together, then I would disconnect last 2 lights, if it still trips, problem may be first light, If it doesn't trip connect back up and disconnect last light. You may have a pinched wire under a can cover.
    If drywall is up and ceiling painted, you can still remove the 3 or 4 screws in bottom of can and pull down or push up into ceiling, remove cover and inspect. Good Luck.
    nathanbg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Yes, I wired it light to light and double-checked that the wire colors were kept consistent. I will try that suggestion about disconnecting the last two and so on and so forth. Chances are there is a short to ground due to a pinched wire - they are only 3" lights so there's not much room under the "cap" to fit all the wire nuts and excess wire. I'll go back and double-check that everything that's bare wire is taped up well, too!

Thanks!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 17, 2008, 03:50 AM
    You say "cap". PLEASE don't tell me these are "Emerald" brand fixtures! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treadmill Tripping Breaker [ 21 Answers ]

We just bought a new mid-range treadmill rated for 11 amps. Our house is relatively new (about 2 years) and the electrical was checked for code by a home inspector when we purchased the house. The treadmill manual stated it was required that it be plugged into a single outlet surge suppressor...

Breaker keeps tripping [ 24 Answers ]

I need to figure this out. I have two 15 amp space heaters in my garage and when I turn them both on it throws the breaker. The breaker at box for this is rated at 20amps. I have been told that I can run both on high and won't throw the breaker. I also replaced the old breaker with a new one (same...

Breaker for AC Tripping [ 3 Answers ]

I have a split system & Air Handler. Any idea why the breaker keeps tripping?

Treadmill keeps tripping breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a treadmill for a few months and it worked fine then last week while I was on it it blew a fuse and tripped the circuit breaker. I changed the fuse to the plug and reset breaker. The treadmill now switches on but as soon as I try to start the motor it just trips again. The fault occurred...

Why does my ac breaker keep tripping its only 3years old [ 2 Answers ]

Yes we just brought this house in 2007 was built in 2003 went to use the ac for the first time we have a weather king heat pump ac unit and noticed the breaker would trip when the thermoset was turned downed I even changed the breaker and is not that cause the breaker works with the dryer it's a...

View more questions Search