Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canadadry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 10:33 AM
    Opportunity cost
    I have been wondering about opportunity cost and can't mind asking:rolleyes:,
    What exsacly its an opportunity cost and how does this relate to economic?:confused:
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 12:09 PM

In a nutshell, Its what you have lost had you invested in the opportunity that would have earned more than it cost.

Lets say for argument. You have $100,000.

You saw the stock market go down horrible fast but you would rather put the money in a box under your bed than jump in and buy while the market is down.

6 months later the market doubles. You still have the $100,000 under your bed... but had you invested it you would have had $200,000. Your choice to put it in a box had an opportunity cost of $100,000.

Look at opportunity cost as a "well if I did that I could or will have made X more than I would if I did nothing or something else that wasn't in the interest of making a profit".

Or... if you take X out of the economy... you lose the opportunity for that to have added to the economy.

Sort of Like a liability... on your balance sheet... but a fantom liability.
    canadadry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 02:46 PM

Awsome, this was music to me ears, very clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opportunity cost [ 1 Answers ]

1. Which of the following is an opportunity cost of the activity in question and which is not? – Explain. a. A person decides spend all her time as a full time student. To do this, she has to quit her job, in which she earned £20,000 a year. – opportunity cost = £ 20,000 a year b. Bill...

PPF - Graphing and Opportunity Cost [ 0 Answers ]

My answers and the question is in the following picture. In the first graph, my answer is a shift to the left. In the second graph, my answer is the red dot near the x-axis. My question to you is, "Can you please check my answers if they are correct?"

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search