Why would a nice dog turn aggressive in seconds.

Asked Aug 9, 2007, 06:11 AM 18 Answers
    I found a super dog. She was friendly wagging tail, lay her head on your lap. You could wrap your arms around her neck and hug her. She would try to get in your lap. Not one thing seemed to bother her. You could hand feed her she took food gently from your hand even though she was very hungry, you could put your hand or an object around her food no growling, nothing! The only thing was she would jump,flinch if she had her head down eating and something was dropped or there was a loud bang. But she did not growl. This is the number of people that came into my yard to look at her. 2 men, 1 woman-> checked her to see if she was in heat, and checked her appearance by touching different parts of her body. 1 lady petted her from over the fence. 4 differrent teenagers were around her and myself and my husband. She was always on a leash as she was a fence jumper. She was taken to the park daily and walked and ran with before bedtime. She never barked or scratched at the basement door , she may have whimpered a couple of times at the door. She never showed any signs of aggression to my dogs( but did not get close to the.shot, disease?? ) My cats did get near her and she was fine with them. So I find this lady that was willing to take a stray I drive 115 miles to her. We meet in the parking lot. We talk a few minutes she does a visual assement of her , she goes to put her collar on her and the dog lungs at her face. Growing and barking. Thank fully I pulled her back and she did not eevn try to bite me. I got her calmed down and the lady and I continued to talk. So we decided it may have been her Big Dark sunglasses. So she takes them off and we talk awhile walk through the lot. The dog is fine . She tries to approach the dog again. She tried to attack the lady again, but with more intense theis time. This lady that rehomes 200 hundered dogs a year was shocked!! She was afraid for me to even get in the car with the dog and wanted me to call her every 10 minutes or so to make sure the dog did not attack me in the car. But I felt very safe with the dog and told her that I would call her when I got home. The dog and I made it safely to where I lived 2 1/2 hours later. Please tell me what you think of this? I have gotten help from another rescue group so I went to them they are not breed specific, and are a no kill shelter. We got there and she was fine wandering around smelling the doggy smells, we even talked to a worker walking a dog. She sends a man out to get the dog from me. The dog goes nuts, It was really scary, even worse than with the woman. So we take a walk and the man is instructing me on how to hand the dog to him. She had a loose collar on and a chain leash. He told me to wrap or fold over the chain until it was about four inches and to step to the other side of her and he would reach out and take it. As soon as she realised he had it, she tried to attack. (he was good not a scratch or bite from her). I turned as instructed and started toward my car, this dog dragged him up the small hill (he weighed about 120-130 pounds barking and clawing toward my car. I was crying and trying to talk to her to calm her down, He said go, she will like us to in a few days. Do you think she was really aggressive? Or was it just because she was afraid of going to a new place? Btw while I had her she did not bark 1 time, not even when my yappers would bark! I only had her about 2 1/2 days.

Last edited by bushg; Aug 9, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#11

Aug 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Well I can say for sure that she will be taken care of for the rest of her life. Even if she is never adopted out. The cruel ba$tards that had her will never see her again and even if they happen to, well their bad. I don't think even with the best lawyer they could afford to get her back from this group. Ok, so I will stop boo hooing. I will accept things as they are and leave the what ifs alone.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#12

Nov 28, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Well the boxer is up for adoption, I saw her listed on the rescue's site she has no warnings beside her name. That must mean that she has not shown any signs of aggression. Apparently they have worked through her problems that she showed that day.
    She has gained weight and she was smiling in the pic, one of her descriptions was that she wagged her hinney when she was around people, which was very true with my family. Hopefully I will read soon that she was adopted. The rescue named her Rally, I did Rally to save her and so have they, so it seems suitable.
    RubyPitbull's Avatar
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 647

#13

Nov 28, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Excellent news bushg! See, all the worrying was for nothing. You definitely picked the right rescue group to surrender her to. When you get a chance, can you PM me with the link? I would love to see what she looks like.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#14

Feb 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Feb, 15, 2008 I just checked the website of the rescue that had Rally. She has been adopted!! yah Ralley and to the foundation. Jan 2008 she went home with a family.
    This is one of the best feelings in the world to know that these wonderful, kind and loving strangers have worked so hard with her, to overcome her problems of being starved and nelgected. Btw they people at the foundation are all volunteers. Hats off to them.
    All those miles that I drove only to turn around and come back with her and all those tears I shed on that hot August day was not in vain. I helped her a little and the foundation helped her a lot but she helped herself the most, to go through hell and still let her wonderful spirit shine and trust again. Not all dogs are that lucky.
    katrina27's Avatar
    katrina27 Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

#15

Feb 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
    You did everything you could for that dog. She is in the best hands now, and will be hopefully reabilitated. You probably gave her the best bit of love she had ever known. You trusted her and it seems she trusted you. And she was right to, because however hard it is you put her in the right place. She will be fine. You are a very good person.
    tashamarie80's Avatar
    tashamarie80 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

#16

Feb 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
    This isn't an answer but we adopted a newfoundland from a shelter many years ago, great dog. My Grandma lived with us at the time as she had cancer and was doing Chemo, of course all of her hair fell out so we got her hats and things to cover. One day my mom and I came home and my little 90 lb Grandma says hey watch this, she stood up put her hat on and our mild mannered 100 lb puppy attacked and knocked her down (she knew it was coming, she thought it was hilarious but it was a pretty big concern for us) we never were able to break him of this, we figured he was abused by someone who wore a hat, who knows? He also did the samething to my mother when she got home from work wit a hard hat on, so we never wore hats.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#17

Feb 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Tash. I used to live next door to a German Shepard that would attack anyone in a long black leather coat regardless of what nationality was wearing it. I mean growling ,full speed run and grab the bottom of the coat She would also attack black people.. I saw her run across the street after a little black girl and the little girl took of running and screaming and fell. When the dog owner yelled the dog stopped and came back to the yard.
    The owners were not to good about keeping it on a leash. The worse thing was they allowed their 11 year old son to take it outside and sometimes as kids will do he would take his eyes off her and if her trigger came along she would take chase... now I don't know if she would have bitten or held you.
    The police that I called told me that as long as they could command the dog to stop then it was considered under the people's command and a leash was not required. They would not even make a visit to the neighbors.
    I was thrilled the day they moved out.
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596

#18

Sep 6, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Today I was in a town near the rescue that accepted this boxer. I was sitting at a redlight and who came around the corner but... this very same boxer! A man was walking her along with an Airedale Terrier lol they were both pulling on their leashes ( but not too bad)poor guy. She looked very healthy and happy. It made my day when I saw that she was adopted, but to get to actually see her looking so well... I swear that dog actually smiles, while she is wiggling that little cute tailess butt.
    RWuest's Avatar
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

#19

Sep 7, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Dogs react mostly to you and your body language, and their environment. My pitbull has terrible bathroom problems if we take a long drive, due to stress. He's never been aggressive towards a human, and he is perfect when it comes to other dogs mingling, but it's become apparent to me that the way I react causes him to react. When him and another dog meet, and I can tell that the other person is comfortable, I too am comfortable, the leash is loose and I'm calm; however if the other person is trying to hold the dog back and encouraging me to do the same then the hair on his neck raises. Another example is when we were walking today and passed a chain link fence with another dog behind it. My dog, Boss, was sniffing the fence and the dog ran up barking, they sniffed at one another for a second and then the other dog attacked the fence, Boss just stared for a second, and then once I was startled and tried to pull him away frantically he also attacked the fence. Pretty frightening. Your pup could have been stressed from the car ride, and also sensing tension on both ends, from being nervous to meet a new dog, the woman putting a collar on, where the dog couldn't see her hands, or you just being sad to see her go.

I've also seen leash aggression in my apartment complex. A very nice mastiff and lab mix is fine with humans and dogs, but once he's on his lease he turns into a maniac.

Why when I turn on my new AC freon only comes through the line for 5 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a brand new 3 ton goodman Heat Pump system... when the ac turns on , I can here the reverse valve open and the compressor kick on , and here is the question.. The 7/8" copper freon line gets ice cold as it should but only for about 10 seconds and then it goes back to a normal but...

Dog becoming aggressive? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok well, I started doing some of the alpha dog stuff that Labman suggested after my dog started scroiunging, and it was working for a little while, but now he has completely snapped or something. I have had this dog for a little over 2 years now, and he was always the biggest baby, but now he is...

Outside Blower kicks on for 5 seconds then goes off for 10 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I've looked all over this forum for something like this, but nothing I've see quite nails my problem so If I missed it, sorry. Here it goes... My outside blower comes on for about 5 seconds when my thermostat activates for the heat. With furnace still on the blower shuts off for 10 seconds and...

My dog is aggressive [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is aggressive towards children, how do I stop him?:confused:

Very Aggressive Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: :confused: On June 2, 2006, I and my wife purchased (Gizmo/He) a German Sheppard from a Dog obedience Training Facility. The dog was trained for protection for another family and after they had the dog for about 2 or 3 months the dog had bitten one of their kid’s friends. They return the...