Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SnB Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
    My Dachshund may be pregnant
    If she is, she is around 30 days. She's not gaining weight, but her nipples protrude a little more than usual. They are not however full. What signs should I be looking for. Despite what most people think on this site, I love my dog, and YES I would take every pup that I could not find a good home for. I don't care if there were 20. (Exaggeration of course).

Please provide KIND adivce if you have any. If your advise if to lecture me, don't bother responding please. I don't need to be lectured. You don't know the details.

Anyone who loves a dog, and is concerned, please provide advice. I would GREATLY appreciate it :0):)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Did you have her mated ? Cause if you did you should know the gestation date, if not, and I am absolutely not lecturing, take her to the vet to have an exam to make sure. That is the only thing I can advise and it I what I would do.
    Topperthedog Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Jun 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Go. Read.

Dog Play: Dog Breeding and Placement Index
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
    At this early stage your vet can still abort the pregnancy. I am not sure why you have not had the female spayed. Did you plan on breeding her? If not, then perhaps an abortion and spaying is the correct choice.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
    No I didn't plan on breeding her. I have a male already neutered. I took in an unwanted dachshund puppy from a nasty house. My vet recommend that I have him neutered at 6 months. I didn't think they were "able" at 3 months, which is when my female went into heat. :0( I'm just sad about the whole thing. I rescue kittens for goodness sake and get them spayed. I am not a person who believes in creating unwanted animals.

I discussed spaying my female but because the male I had at that time was neutered my vet said basically it's up to me.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Is an abortion in a dog anymore humane than euthanizing them? I don't think I can do that.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
    I have heard that it is safer for the female to bear the litter. DocWill may have more up to date info. Humane? Discussions of the born and unborn belong in the members' discussion forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant Dachshund maybe [ 20 Answers ]

You know, I looked on this site for advice about my baby, a mini dachshund. Then I realized that this site is just like many others I have seen. You ask a question about IF your dog could be pregnant and what to expect, and the fact that you'd like advice from non-judging individuals. I am a...

Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Last week my dog got sick with this rare hemalitic anemia sorry not sure how to spell it .the problem is that we tried to save him with blood transfusions and medicine he never made it out of the hospital 4 days of work on him the only thing they said that something triggered it off . Not sure what...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter, But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter Why Would He Start...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

My dachshund is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Scooby is our dachshund's name. He is wonderful to have around. Yesterday he started coughing and trying to get something out of his throat. When he does get something up it is just white mucus. He isn't eating much and isn't his usually playful self. What can I do for him?

View more questions Search