Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelic_Angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 07:48 PM
    How do I train a puppy in genearl for anything.
    I've recently got a pom cross shihz tzu puppy who is 11 weeks old or so. He very obedient and calm. The people who I've got it from said it was potty trained. Put some paper down and it will go there. It does it sometimes and other times it doesn't.

In the house it will follow me everywhere and run aways sometimes. But when I try to bring it out for a walk on a leash and it just sits there or lays there. I try bring trests and using that to prise it and it doesn't really do anything. It thinks everything is just play and fun. I don't know what do. Should I be waiting till it's older first? What do I do? Help please!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Others may have a different opinion, but I firmly believe the sooner you start training a puppy, the easier it is. I typically get my puppies at 7 weeks. I put the collar and leash on as soon as the kennel staff brings the puppy out. When the paper work is finished, I set the puppy down on the floor, call its name followed by heel and start for the door. If the puppy comes, I praise it. If it doesn't, I try to coax it. If it still doesn't come, I drop back behind it and run by it in baby steps calling ''Go, go, go!'' in an excited voice. Once out the door, we stop at the relief area, and I give it the command to relieve itself. Then on to the car. When they are that young, puppies are very quick to accept new things and learn.

I can't put everything you need into this answer. Much of what you need is in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html The sticky doesn't have everything either, but does have a list of books. Your puppy is much too young to go to an obedience class. You can work from a book and have a well trained dog before others even start. Keep sessions vrery short, only a few repetitions of a command at a time. Failing to take their little dog seriously is one of the biggest mistakes small dogs owners make.
    Angelic_Angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Others may have a different opinion, but I firmly believe the sooner you start training a puppy, the easier it is. I typically get my puppies at 7 weeks. I put the collar and leash on as soon as the kennel staff brings the puppy out. When the paper work is finished, I set the puppy down on the floor, call its name followed by heel and start for the door. If the puppy comes, I praise it. If it doesn't, I try to coax it. If it still doesn't come, I drop back behind it and run by it in baby steps calling ''Go, go, go!'' in an excited voice. Once out the door, we stop at the relief area, and I give it the command to relieve itself. Then on to the car. When they are that young, puppies are very quick to accept new things and learn.

I can't put everything you need into this answer. Much of what you need is in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html The sticky doesn't have everything either, but does have a list of books. Your puppy is much too young to go to an obedience class. You can work from a book and have a well trained dog before others even start. Keep sessions vrery short, only a few repetitions of a command at a time. Failing to take their little dog seriously is one of the biggest mistakes small dogs owners make.
    It doeasn't even know it's name yet either yet. :( It's just like a baby where it doesn't seem to know anything at all. Except for to cry and play.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Angelic, your puppy is a baby. It is dependent upon you for everything in it's life. Just keep in mind that a puppy takes a long time to train and to housebreak. They don't learn their names or how to walk properly on a leash overnight. You need to be patient and keep using positive reinforcement training methods. Labman has a wonderful list of books that are quite useful in understanding the differences between dogs and people. They comprehend things differently from humans and you need to approach it from their standpoint for training to be effective.

If you are having trouble following labman's advice and suggestions, or having trouble applying what you read to be able to properly train your puppy, you will benefit greatly by finding someone who can physically show you what you need to do. Have you taken your puppy in for a vet check up yet? That would be a good place to start. It is important that your puppy is health checked and kept up to date on shots. When you are in the office for your appointment ask the vet and/or the staff if they can give you the names and phone numbers of reliable trainers in your area. The earlier you start on training, the better off both you and your pup will be.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 09:43 AM
    In my sticky, I list the number of a vet as one of puppies' needs. The number alone is not enough. Perhaps I need to change it to vet visits.

As you work on house training and obedience, you need to use the puppy's name constantly including before every command. They learn very quickly if you use plenty of patience and praise. Treat are good too, but don't over use them.
    Trainer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
    You've gotten all good advice on training. I'd add two things that may serve you well throughout your dog's life.

1. A dog will only continue to do things that benefit him. Make sure that bad behavior is never beneficial and good behavior is always rewarding.

2. If you treat your dog like a human he will treat you like a dog.

Keep these two rules in mind and you can train your dog any behavior.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I train a 2 yr old [ 3 Answers ]

I need help with my two 1/2 year old boy. He's a tease and likes to get into everything imaginable. What do I do? I tell him no and he keeps going, he looks at you knowing he shouldn't do it and laughs and does it anyway. He teases me so I tell him no again and again. I've tried spanking, yelling,...

Trying to potty train [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a miniature dachsund for my son. The lady who had him said that she had started potty training him until she got hurt and could not tend to him anymore. He is 9 weeks old and I have bought the potty pads for him. I have put the potty pad out and noticed that he will pee on the pad...

I got hit by a train [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys I really need to find out anything about this song and all I know is a few lines which are: ' I got hit by a train but falling in love is not quite the same but some guy at sea crashed my car in a lake and it felt so good I want to do it again'. Please help! It's my fav song eva. ....

Train travel [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a train that I can use from australia going to new zealand.

Train services [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get information on train services between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

View more questions Search