Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pammi b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Thin Dog
    My Springer spaniel will be 2 this month. He is fairly active and eats well, however he is quite thin. You can see the outline of his ribs although they do not blatantly stick out. Both his parents were sleek dogs, is this normal or should I be worried? He was wormed approximately 4 weeks ago
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Pammi, labman likes to use this link for owners to evaluate their dogs.

http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

In general dogs ribs should be outlined and they should have a "waist".

That being said, healthy springer spaniels have a tendency to be sleek with a rather protruding rib section. My brother has one. I always felt his ribs stuck out a bit too much, but I truly think it is the breed. As he has aged (he is now about 8 years), he has finally started to fill out a bit more and is very healthy looking. He still acts like a silly puppy. If you are at all concerned, please bring your dog in to see your vet for an evaluation. Discuss the type and amount of food you are giving him, and his activity level. Your vet should be able to advise you as to whether adjustments need to be made. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Not a lot more for me to say. Most Labs are terrible gluttons that eat themselves to an early death. Other breeds insist on showing a little rib. Shepherds are notorious for that. If your vet isn't urging you to fatten him up, don't.

It wouldn't hurt to read the sticky on ''My dog won't eat.'', https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jun 20, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Also with springers there is a difference in weight in comparison to working breeds and pet breeds, if your dog came from working lines he will tend to be sleeker than a pet or show type and this will show...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my dog is too thin [ 8 Answers ]

My doberman is only 2 and she has a healthy appetite but she has always been so thin. You can see her bones. Our other doberman is 1 and she is not skinny at all, they eat the same food at the same times. Why is my 2 yr old so skinny. She doesn't have worms or any other other health issues...

My dog is too thin and eats very little [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too...

Thin skin [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have thin skin.. and my veins are showing and my face. Can I use aha/glycolic products for a long period??

Thin Ends [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Trying To Get My Hair Growing But My Ends Are So Thin What Can I Do?

Eyebrows too thin [ 1 Answers ]

Dear madam... iam 21 yrs old ,my eyebrow hair is too thin... one of my friend suggested me to shave it off so that it will grow thicker... is that true.plz do help me out

View more questions Search