Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mumof4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 02:37 PM
    3 week old puppy
    Hey, I just received a 3 week old German Sheppard I bought from a lady a province away. I am not familiar with young pups, so I'm hoping you can help me... He sleeps all the time, has diarreah, and whines a lot as he eats... Is this due to his age or is he showing signs of sickness? I want to take him to the vet, but we don't have one here where I live, they only come to town once a month. I did make an appointment for Thursday when the vet dose get here, but until then, I would love to put my mind at ease! Can someone please help?:confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 02:53 PM
    I have moved your question to the Dogs section of the site where it will be seen by our wonderful expert Labman and his co-horts in the canine specialty.

The Other Health & Wellness category is a topic for us homosapiens
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Mar 30, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Puppies can get parvo, which is a bad BAD virus for puppies! I don't mean to scare you, but parvo has a slim survival rate. I have a dog that had parvo as a puppy and survived, after 2 weeks in the hospital, three blood transfusions, and constant vet attention. It was a pain staking process, but it ended well. Parvo causes vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargic. If it is parvo, it is the utmost importance to see the vet asap!

But on the brighter side, this puppy is only 3 weeks old! He could be home sick! He may not like the food or the food is not right for him.

Good Luck and God Bless You!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
    If it is really a 3 week old puppy, it may not survive even if it doesn't have parvo. 3 weeks is way too young to leave its mother and litter. If it is eating solid food, it may be older. A 3 week old puppy would just be starting solid food. It would sleep a lot, and have soft, but not runny stools. I am afraid however old it is, it is sick and won't make it until Thursday without vet care. Try to limit the area you have it in. Any area it may contaminate with parvo virus, won't be safe for another puppy for 6 months unless cleaned with bleach.

If you can't get it vet care, try to keep its fluids and electrolytes up by giving it Pedalyte or Gator Ade. For more on parvo, here is a reliable web site, Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

For general puppy care, see the sticky at the top of the dog forum, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 30, 2007, 06:40 PM
    3 weeks is young to take a pup away from it's mum, but I would recommend keeping it's fluids up, try buying a baby bottle and letting him drink from it while cuddling him so he can feel nurtured. Poor thing, due post what the vet says on Thursday.
    If you still can contact the woman you bought him from, let her know that he's not doing to well and that way she can warn the other pup owners to keep an eye out, you should let her know also that she really shouldn't be removing the pups from their mum for at least 10 weeks.

Another eating alternative is putting really water down food into the baby bottle or if he's really not eating try soy milk, DON'T GIVE DAIRY

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 week old puppy no mother I am bottle feeding. It is have a hard time having a bowel movement. He is on Esbilac, I ran out for a few days and mixed water and carnation canned milk he is now back on esbilac. What can I do?

5 week old puppy---what to drink? [ 2 Answers ]

I have found a litter of puppies, I have taken one in and I took it to the vets this morning, the vet told me that it was about 5 weeks old. I have bought puppy milk replacement, it is like a formula to mix with warm water to feed through a bottle, but he does not take it, but he does not drink it...

6 Week Old Puppy has Fleas! [ 8 Answers ]

Are 2 older dogs had fleas, so got 2 flea collars for them. Now are puppy is getting fleas and she is only 6 weeks old, what's the best treatment for a puppy so young? Also what's best for the older dogs?

My 5 week year old puppy! Help me out! [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a 5 week year old puppy. She is a dalmatian cross with some other breeds, she is way small. And I need to know if it is normal for puppies this small (runt) to walk weird, like she will start walking then fall over. And try again and fall. She also hasn't drank water but she eats like...

View more questions Search