Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vterrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2013, 10:10 PM
    Dog bite wound won't heal.
    My 13 year.old beagle was attacked by a dog on the beach while we were out of the country last June 2012. Long story short, the wound (on her neck) wasn't.properly cleaned and being that we were in a third world country, vets weren't incredibly helpful. An abscess formed about a week after,was drained by the vet only to reform a couple weeks later. This continued periodically, the abscess moving around her neck and showing up in different places, at one point on the complete opposite side. Now we are finally back home a month.ago and I've been taking her to her vet here. At this point of return, the abscess was pretty close to the original wound and was the size of a pretty good hand full. The vet drained it. It came back. Drained again. Finally they performed surgery and cleaned it up and resealed it. A.week later, I removed her bandage to change it and it was dripping pus. Took her back in and they inserted a drain. She had the drain removed 2 days ago and things seeemed to finally be looking up until.I changed the bandage today and it seems like the pus is back. Not nearly as bad as before, but enough to drip from.the incision. I changed the bandage and sterilized the area with betadine. I hope we are in the clear.soon but after almost a year.of this, I need some clarity. What in the world is going on that no vet can fix? Any insight would be very helpful.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2013, 01:04 AM
    For one thing, the poor dog is old. Age really does make it more difficult for all animals including humans to heal. For another, being 'out of the country' (you don't say which one) could mean any kind of infections or parasites unknown to vets where you are. Even a regular old bacterial infection could have gone deep enough to be difficult to wipe out.

I'm a little puzzled by the bandages being on for so long - the vet doesn't have you change them daily and clean the wound with antiseptic? Was the vet clear on instructions?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2013, 05:54 AM
    You should probably send off a culture of the pus to see what type of bacteria is growing and use the antibiotic that will kill it... bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics And re-occurance such as this will happen
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 2, 2013, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    You should probably send off a culture of the pus to see what type of bacteria is growing and use the antibiotic that will kill it... bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics And re-occurance such as this will happen
    Also, at 13, dog has a pretty compromised immune system which makes this difficult to cope with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog has a wound that won t heal? [ 12 Answers ]

My dog has a wound that won't heal. I took her to the vet in January 2011 to have a cyst that has ruptured removed. After the stitches were taken out it healed and two weeks later it the scar swelled up (not the cyst returning) and it split open again. I took her back to the vet, they opened it up...

Cut in dog that won't heal [ 9 Answers ]

I adopted an older female dog (little poodle mis) that probably was a puppy mill dog and her feet have always seemed very sensitive. About 18 months ago she began limping on her back foot. The vet did find a small bump between hertoes and did all kinds of tests. After $700 and two weeks later...

Wound in dog that won't heal. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a spitz pomerian whose 16 years old since the last 2 months he's having a deep wound and I think that is maggot! I took him to the vet little late :( over there he was given 4 injections and prescribed turpentine oil now after applying turpentine oil the dog is screaming and crying it raises...

My puppy's wound has refused to heal. [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy is an African breed; it is four months old. I brought it when it had a wound on its head and also some minor wounds on its legs but the ones on the legs are long gone yet the one on the head has persisted. It becomes red and then oozes with pus occasionally. I called my vet and he gave it...

How can I heal my wound? [ 28 Answers ]

Hi all of you Before posting this I read some of the older posts here in this forum and I really found myself.I'm just going over the same situation.ill just summarize my story. I am 24.I left my country 7 months ago. And there I left the person I loved more in my life and to be honest I...

View more questions Search