Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Crate urination
    My 4 yr old female spayed gordon setter urinates in her crate. It usually occurs overnight. She is let out frequently unsupervised, but always let out before I go to bed. Her overnight in the crate is never longer then 8 hrs. I have tried giving her Proin with little or no success. Any help would be appreciated
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 09:39 AM
    If it is a behavior issue, I doubt I can help you fix it now. I don't even have a good record on younger dogs. I could suggest the same confidence building techniques as for submissive wetting. Start with obedience training. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete As you praise the dog for following your commands, it will build its confidence.

Play tug of war with the dog and lose. However at the end of the game, take the rope or toy and put it up, less the dog becomes confused about who is top dog.
    Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

If Proin didn't help, an anti anxiety drug might.

Make sure she moves around on the last trip out for the night. It stimulates the body to relieve itself. Take up the water dish about 7 PM.

The last thing is a grid in the crate. This does not fix the problem, just makes it easier to live with. They are available with the crates, but expensive and hard to find. A piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. I am now using a plastic vegetable bin with plenty of holes drilled in the bottom. Here is a picture of my Holly last fall:

ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Seek a vet. When I was a yound man my dog had bladder issues. Something about it dropping.I rememeber we gave him some pills for a while and then he ran away, but that's not the point. Not to make fun, but my mom had the same problem.. lol... she had a surgery though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Urination and defication problems [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy has the idea its suppose to go outside. I take him out and he does his duty and then I bring him in and he is doing duty again after doing it twice outside. He can duty at least 10 times a day. He is only fed like I was told 4 times a day. The same thing with urination he is taken out...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

Puppy doesn't like new crate [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is 11 weeks old, and I've had him since he was 5 weeks old. I bought a carrier for him to sleep in when I first got him, it's made of fabric with padding and a soft bottom and mesh on the sides and ends. He was peeing in and tearing up the thing and it really stinks, so I finally got a...

Submissive urination [ 2 Answers ]

Our three year old dachsund (which we've had for about a year now) has a problem with submissive urination. We let her outside to pee, she readily askd to go outside when she needs to go, and yet whenever we pick her up, stoop to pet her, or scold her she dribbles. We don't want to make her an...

Urination [ 2 Answers ]

I am an old man and suffer from frequent nocturnal urination,can anybody suggest a solution ? ;D

View more questions Search