Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chimaan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Housebroken dog pooping in house at night
    Hi, I have a 4 year old dog that has pooped/peed in the house occasionally at night when we are upstairs. Recently she has been going practically every other day in the house. We have a steam cleaner and clean the area. When I wake up in the morning she already knows she's been bad by the behavior she presents me. I don't know what to do. I know she is house broken because she only does it at night when we are not around. Oh, a note they have a doggie door so this shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chimaan
    hi, I have a 4 year old dog that has pooped/peed in the house occassionally at night when we are upstairs. Recently she has been going practically every other day in the house. We have a steam cleaner and clean the area. When I wake up in the morning she already knows shes been bad by the behavior she presents me. I dont know what to do. I know she is house broken because she only does it at night when we are not around. oh, a note they have a doggie door so this shouldnt be an issue. any ideas?
    She must really be upset with you for some reason. Did you just come back from vacation after leaving her somewhere?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 06:13 PM
    I am having trouble figuring out just what is happening. Start with a complete vet check explaining the problem. Is it urinating, bowel movement, or both? ''They''? Do you have more than one dog? How old and what sex is it? Are the dogs fixed? Even if I had the answer to all those questions, I still might not have much more than to suggest it is your pack structure.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position
    chimaan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 08:01 PM
    I didn't explain myself well, sorry. Nothing has changed. We are the alphas but she has always been a bit stubborn, think it's the breed. I have 3 other dogs and none of them have ever gone to the bathroom in the house past their first year. I just don't know what to do with this one. I am at my wits end.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Even though you think the doggy door isn't an issue, it may be. Dogs aren't loners. They need to be with their packs. She might not like the idea of going outside all by herself at night without having another one of her pack stand guard for her. If none of the other dogs make a late night potty run, then she might be holding it in past the point of no return. Some dogs, like humans, just can't hold it as long as others. Try going outside with her as late as possible and going out with her as early as possible in the morning. If this doesn't resolve the problem, I would do as labman suggests. Take her in for a check up with the vet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Dogs' behavior usually stabilizes after 3 years. Still RPB's idea is worth trying. Not just out, but some activity to stimulate the body.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Yes, labman, the activity is a vital part of it. Chimaan that is something that does need to be done.

The fact that this dog has a life history of doing this on an irregular basis and now is starting to do it every night is very difficult to evaluate on the surface here. Chimaan, my thoughts are that maybe at one point, some nights either she was able to go out later or some mornings she was able to go out earlier and/or she was able to hold it for the most part. Now, after 4 years, even though she is not that old, she might not be able to hold it anymore or the potty times may have changed? Who knows? Trying to adjust the potty schedule might help. It might be that she never really made the connection at night in the first place, when you thought she did. Or, there just might be a problem and she should be given a thorough check up by the vet. If it is only urinating, maybe she has a UTI. If it is defecating and nothing seems wrong with it, something else is going on, whether it is physical or psychology is hard to evaluate here. Maybe she is telling you that she needs more attention and exercise than she is getting.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 13, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Is the dog a daschund?
    Crate the dog at night or leave it outside

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebroken dog peeing in other people's houses [ 4 Answers ]

We are visiting our relatives for Thanksgiving, and brought Barkley (year old lab mix) along... He had an 8 hour car ride to get her and refused to go to the bathroom the whole day. (We let him out 4 times at rest stops in an 8 hour period, and gave him water) Is this normal? Additionally, he...

3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and...

Why is my dog pooping and peeing in the house all of a sudden? [ 9 Answers ]

After 6 years my male, fixed, brittany spaniel has never had an accident, even as a puppy. This past weekend we had went away, leaving him alone. He has free access to the house with a doggy door he knows how to use and has always used. He has been left alone many times before, but this time we...

Adult Dog Pooping in the middle of the night [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 year old-mix (brittany spaniel/lab) started to poop in the middle of the night. She's been potty trained for years and usually scratches the back door to go out. However, lately, she's pooped upstairs (where she's not allowed). More recently, we've kept her in our bedroom to keep her from...

9 week old puppy pooping at night (in crate) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have had our little mini-schnauzer for a week now. She is doing very well during the day, but night time is becoming a problem. She has started pooping 3 or 4 times at night... the problem is that she doesn't whine until she's already soiled her crate. Her last meal is at 5:00, and we...

View more questions Search