Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Beagles! Oi!
    So the pets expert needs pet advice.

As most of you know I have a 3 year old un-neutered (he's going for the surgery in October) male beagle, and a 6 month old border collie cross.

Chewy, the beagle, has grown up with other dogs, and we've never had a major issue. Well, we lost both of our older dogs within 5 months, and days after Jasper (the second to die) passed away, we brought Rascal (the border collie cross puppy) into our home.

Things are going pretty good. Chewy and Rascal play together, they nap together, the clean each other. All in all they get along very well. Here's the but.

Chewy has been toy aggressive. He's actually a little jerk about the whole thing. He'll be sleeping in his bed, and Rascal will be playing (by himself) with a toy, and as soon as Rascal drops the toy, Chewy swoops in, grabs it, and hides it in his bed. He doesn't even play with it, and if Rascal comes anywhere near him Chewy lunges for the toy and growls. Every toy Rascal picks up, Chewy steals away so he can hide it, and then guards it, growls if Rascal comes within 2 feet of him.

Today I was playing catch with Rascal in the yard, throwing his stuffy toy for him. Chewy was napping nearby. Rascal came to me, dropped his toy, Chewy swooped in, grabbed it, went to the garage and hit it under the couch. So I got Rascal another toy, we started playing with that, and Chewy did it again, grabbed the toy and hid it. So I grabbed yet another toy, and again, same thing.

At this point I got fed up, went to grab the toys Chewy had hidden, started playing with Rascal again, and again Chewy would wait for Rascal to drop the toy for me to through, swoop in, and run off.

I have to add that each time Chewy did this I told him No, and went after him, but I do admit, it was just easier to get another toy then to completely discipline Chewy. Also, I feel bad, I realize this is jealousy, even though he has no reason to be jealous, they both get equal attention.

I don't know how to stop this. Normally when this happens, and it's a daily thing, I scold Chewy, take the toy away from him, and give it back to Rascal. Today I just didn't want the drama, but today is the only day that I haven't scolded Chewy, so scolding isn't the issue. He's really just not getting that this isn't okay.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it because he's not neutered? Is it because he doesn't like having a new dog in the house? Is it because he misses Indy and Jasper? I don't know what to do, and it's getting to the point where I'm afraid that sooner or later Rascal won't accept it, and there will be a fight. Even if there isn't a fight, this behavior is not okay.

I have to add that each time Chewy does this, Rascal backs away and lets Chewy have the toy. When Rascal approaches Chewy and the toy, it's never to get the toy back. He's not once tried to re-steal the toy.

If you need more info, I'm happy to supply it. I just don't know how to put a stop to this and everything I've tried (including squirting Chewy with water) hasn't worked. Yes, I bought a spray bottle, and when Chewy growls about whatever he's guarding, I'll spray him.

I also should add, this isn't only with toys, it's with any object that's laying around. The other day there was an empty milk carton in the garage. Chewy was sleeping, Rascal came into the garage, walked up to Chewy wagging his tail, and Chewy lunged for the milk carton, grabbed it, and growled, then hid under the couch in the garage with the milk carton to guard it.

I hope my rambling is making sense. It's hard to describe exactly what's going on. I can try to get a video, but I'd have no idea how to post it here.

I just need some advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    So the pets expert needs pet advice.

I have the flip side of this. Seven (and a half) year old GSD; lost her companion since she was 5 weeks old four months ago; new puppy, GSD/rott mix. She's between 140 and 150 pounds. He's probably 30. He takes things away from her all the time, and she never once stood up to him. He can be sleeping when she strolls by with something and he grabs it.

He doesn't guard it and surrenders it willing (and happily) but two seconds later he's back.

In my case it's just her personality and his. The trainer (more for me than for them) told me to be very calm about the whole thing, not chase him, when I get it say, "This is not yours," and go on about my business. I don't know if that works when the older dog is the "bully" (for lack of another word).

I have also learned that when we play catch we all play catch - two dogs, two balls, one of me.

I'm interested in what other people say.
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Judy, Chewy has never really been one to play catch. I've tried, and he just looks at me like I'm crazy. In fact, he gives me the "You threw it, you go get it" look.

Rascal on the other hand loves playing catch. He'll do it for hours. But he's a more active breed, and fetching is his thing. Not so much for Chewy. It seems that Chewy's thing is to do anything to take away Rascal's fun.

Normally when this happens I'll take the toy, or random object away from Chewy, and I won't let either of them have it. Today I just lost interest in doing what hasn't been working anyway.

I just don't understand the need to guard things. Random things that Rascal isn't even interested in. It's almost like Chewy is saying "it's all mine, even if it's garbage it's mine, and I won't let you have it. I will fight to the death to protect it".

I called a trainer. That trainer has absolutely no advice other than what I've already tried. :(

With the stuffy, an hour after all of this, when Chewy had re-stolen the stuffy, and Rascal no longer even wanted to play, Rascal asked to go out. Chewy was sleeping in the crate in the garage, he likes it there. So Rascal went into the garage (he has to go into the garage in order to get into the backyard to pee and poo), and as soon as Rascal came through the door, Chewy ran to the stuffy, which was across the room, grabbed it, went under the couch, and growled.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Judy, Chewy has never really been one to play catch. I've tried, and he just looks at me like I'm crazy. In fact, he gives me the "You threw it, you go get it" look.

Rascal on the other hand loves playing catch. He'll do it for hours. But he's a more active breed, and fetching is his thing. Not so much for Chewy. It seems that Chewy's thing is to do anything to take away Rascal's fun.

Normally when this happens I'll take the toy, or random object away from Chewy, and I won't let either of them have it. Today I just lost interest in doing what hasn't been working anyway.

I just don't understand the need to guard things. Random things that Rascal isn't even interested in. It's almost like Chewy is saying "it's all mine, even if it's garbage it's mine, and I won't let you have it. I will fight to the death to protect it".

I called a trainer. That trainer has absolutely no advice other than what I've already tried. :(

With the stuffy, an hour after all of this, when Chewy had re-stolen the stuffy, and Rascal no longer even wanted to play, Rascal asked to go out. Chewy was sleeping in the crate in the garage, he likes it there. So Rascal went into the garage (he has to go into the garage in order to get into the backyard to pee and poo), and as soon as Rascal came through the door, Chewy ran to the stuffy, which was across the room, grabbed it, went under the couch, and growled.

I wonder if you could separate them when you play -

Of course, that doesn't solve the bigger issue.

I make a point of using their names a lot so if I say, firmly (not loud, not aggressively), "No, that's Gretchen's. That's not yours," he'll drop it. I then hand him his toy, use his name and say, "Here, this is your toy."

Of course, nobody is growling at me and I don't have to crawl under the couch.
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
    LOL! Crawling under the couch is definitely not fun, especially since it's a crappy couch in the garage! :(

I have tried the "No, this isn't yours, but you can have this" thing. Chewy won't take the toy that I'm offering, unless Rascal shows interest in it.

This doesn't only happen outside though. It happens inside too. Chewy has actually picked up a pair of underwear that fell out of the laundry basket, so he has something to guard and growl at Rascal about.

The worst part is that most time Rascal isn't even interested in the object Chewy is guarding. All Rascal does most times is walk into the room Chewy is in. Instantly Chewy needs to find something to guard, hide and growl about. :(

They play together, when Chewy is in the mood. They nap together, they drink out of the same water dish with no issues at all. I just find it weird that Chewy is showing aggression to toys, or objects that Rascal doesn't even want to play with, and shows no interest in even when Chewy is guarding and growling.

Every time Chewy steals a toy, Rascal backs off, doesn't do a thing about it, yet Chewy will still sit there growling and guarding the toy.

I've never seen anything like it. He's a little bully. :(
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 03:59 PM
    I talked to Cats. He seems to think it is Chewy asserting his dominance especially with Rascal getting so much bigger.

I don't know if it is a purely male thing (staking his 'territory') or if it is making sure the pup knows his place in the pack.

Cats had two more words, "squirt gun".
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I talked to Cats. He seems to think it is Chewy asserting his dominance especially with Rascal getting so much bigger.

I don't know if it is a purely male thing (staking his 'territory') or if it is making sure the pup knows his place in the pack.

Cats had two more words, "squirt gun".
    I tried the squirt gun. Well, not quit a gun, more of a bottle, but I did try that. Chewy hates it, looks at me like I'm pure evil, but continues the behavior that is getting him squirted.

Do you think this is because he's not neutered?

That's my thought. It's also my shame. If that's the case, this is our fault because we couldn't afford to do it. :(
    Magpie95 Posts: 97, Reputation: 14

Aug 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
    My beagle was like that when he was a puppy. I read up on them a lot and they are known to be stubborn. Eventually he grew out of it. I did get him neutered and it didn't seem to change him that much. Once he turned two, it was like someone flipped a switch. He became the sweetest boy ever. Everyone always talks about how great a dog he is. I know that doesn't help now. But maybe its his breed and his age?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
    I tried the squirt gun. Well, not quit a gun, more of a bottle, but I did try that. Chewy hates it, looks at me like I'm pure evil, but continues the behavior that is getting him squirted.

Do you think this is because he's not neutered?

That's my thought. It's also my shame. If that's the case, this is our fault because we couldn't afford to do it. :(
    This one might sound strange, diluted chicken broth in the bottle. Total distraction time.

Since he isn't marking everywhere, I am wondering if it may be less 'intact' male and more 'remember your place, pup.' However, it is probably both.
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    This one might sound strange, diluted chicken broth in the bottle. Total distraction time.

Since he isn't marking everywhere, I am wondering if it may be less 'intact' male and more 'remember your place, pup.' However, it is probably both.
    Good point. He isn't marking, he hasn't started pottying in the house. Actually, this is really the only issue we're having, well, besides pulling on walks. But in every other aspect he's become better. In fact, he doesn't dig in the yard anymore. The other day he got out (faulty fence board), ended up in our neighbors yard (neighbor has the corner lot and we live in a cul-de-sac) and instead of running away, exploring, he came to our front door and waited for someone to notice he wasn't in the yard.

He has no food aggression with Rascal. He shares the water bowl with Rascal. It's just toys, or things that he finds around that he thinks Rascal may want to play with.

It's almost like an ex boyfriend saying "I don't want you, but no one else can want you either", but in doggy speak it's "I don't want to play, but you can't play either". :(
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie95 View Post
    My beagle was like that when he was a puppy. I read up on them a lot and they are known to be stubborn. Eventually he grew out of it. I did get him neutered and it didn't seem to change him that much. Once he turned two, it was like someone flipped a switch. He became the sweetest boy ever. Everyone always talks about how great a dog he is. I know that doesn't help now. But maybe its his breed and his age?
    Thanks for the advice Magpie, but Chewy is not a puppy anymore. He's 3 years old, closer to 4 years. The puppy in the house is the one that Chewy (the beagle) is stealing the toys from, and being a bully to.

Chewy went from being the youngest dog in the house, to being the oldest. He's being a brat. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Thanks for the advice Magpie, but Chewy is not a puppy anymore. He's 3 years old, closer to 4 years. The puppy in the house is the one that Chewy (the beagle) is stealing the toys from, and being a bully to.

Chewy went from being the youngest dog in the house, to being the oldest. He's being a brat. ;)

No question he'd be banned from taking the schoolbus.

I asked my trainer (who stopped for coffee, nothing more) and she asked if stamping on the floor, saying, "no," taking back the toy would work? It does get their attention.

Off topic but I must share this - it's like kids. I don't realize how big my "puppy" has gotten. He loves to hide under the comforter on the bed, which makes making the bed impossible. He has little puppy stairs so he can get onto the bed and he walks up and down as he needs to.

Last night I took away the puppy stairs to keep him off the bed while I "made it" - so he jumped on. From the floor. No running start.

Sigh -
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
    LOL! They are furry kids. In fact, if I was writing about my kids, I could tell the same story. Syd has a toy, isn't playing with it, Jared asks to play with it, and suddenly she has to play with it when it's been sitting in her closet for months, collecting dust, or worse, won't let Jared play with it even though she has no desire to play with it either.

Thankfully kids are a bit more easy to reason with, most of the time. Hmmmmm, I wonder, can I squirt the kids with the water bottle, or is that a bad thing? ;)

I have to say, I really have tried everything I can think of, and then some, with Chewy and this issue. I could write an entire page of things I've tried, all the things I would recommend to someone else, and even a few things I just came up with because nothing else worked.

Nothing is working!

He will be neutered in October. Maybe cutting off his attitudeicles (as Rod calls them) will help. But like Cat said, it doesn't seem to be that sort of issue. He doesn't show jealousy towards Rascal in any other way. He hasn't shown his displeasure with the puppy by marking, or reverting back to peeing in the house. He doesn't try to hump Rascal, or even put his paws on Rascals back. If anything, all of his behavior issues seems to have become better since the puppy, but now we have this new behavior issue which he never had with Indy and Jasper.

I'm just at a loss. I've tried it all and then some, and it isn't working. I'm waiting for the day when Rascal realizes he's twice as big as Chewy, and still growing, and finally says "Oh really, you think you can bully me? Well I'll show you".

Stubborn beagles. That dog makes my MIL look easygoing! :(
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
    LOL! They are furry kids. In fact, if I was writing about my kids, I could tell the same story. Syd has a toy, isn't playing with it, Jared asks to play with it, and suddenly she has to play with it when it's been sitting in her closet for months, collecting dust, or worse, won't let Jared play with it even though she has no desire to play with it either.

Thankfully kids are a bit more easy to reason with, most of the time. Hmmmmm, I wonder, can I squirt the kids with the water bottle, or is that a bad thing? ;)

I have to say, I really have tried everything I can think of, and then some, with Chewy and this issue. I could write an entire page of things I've tried, all the things I would recommend to someone else, and even a few things I just came up with because nothing else worked.

Nothing is working!

He will be neutered in October. Maybe cutting off his attitudeicles (as Rod calls them) will help. But like Cat said, it doesn't seem to be that sort of issue. He doesn't show jealousy towards Rascal in any other way. He hasn't shown his displeasure with the puppy by marking, or reverting back to peeing in the house. He doesn't try to hump Rascal, or even put his paws on Rascals back. If anything, all of his behavior issues seems to have become better since the puppy, but now we have this new behavior issue which he never had with Indy and Jasper.

I'm just at a loss. I've tried it all and then some, and it isn't working. I'm waiting for the day when Rascal realizes he's twice as big as Chewy, and still growing, and finally says "Oh really, you think you can bully me? Well I'll show you".

Stubborn beagles. That dog makes my MIL look easygoing! :(
    Yes, beagles are stubborn! We had the same problem when we got a puppy when our beagle was 4. The beagle was neutered, and they were fine except for food aggression. We had the puppy neutered, but it never got better. They are 8 and 4 now and we still separate them for feedings. Maybe it is a beagle thing, but it drives me crazy!
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2012, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Yes, beagles are stubborn! We had the same problem when we got a puppy when our beagle was 4. The beagle was neutered, and they were fine except for food aggression. We had the puppy neutered, but it never got better. They are 8 and 4 now and we still separate them for feedings. Maybe it is a beagle thing, but it drives me crazy!
    It's driving me crazy too.

He never acted this way with our other dogs, but they were older, and very patient when Chewy was a puppy. Now that Chewy is the older dog, he's being a little jerk. ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 08:00 AM
    I'm thinking this is just Chewy.

Since he was the youngest dog in your pack when you had your other oldies, you never saw it. Now that he is the big man on campus, he is going to strut his stuff.

My pittie does the same thing to my GSP pup. She'll steal all his toys and sit on them like a dragon sitting on a pile of gold... and he dare not try and take them! Its kind of funny.

At first I just dealt with it and ignored Miley's behavior. She's gotten better, won't steal ALL of the toys, but she'll typically just slink off and guard another toy. If she is being really obsessive, I make her sit and stay next to me while I play with Opus.

I don't think it has anything to do with him being neutered or not. Its not an aggression thing.. it's a possessive thing.. and like I said, since he was the youngster for so many years, you probably never saw it until now. Its more than likely just who Chewy is and there really isn't anything you can do to change him. You can only control the situation.

If he gets too bad, you can put him away. I also do that with Miley.. She may not get to play with Opus and I and vise versa.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Concerning neutering - I had my last GSD neutered at 4 months of age, the age the Vet advised.

In theory it was going to calm him down, because he was a horrendous puppy. You name it, he did it. We spent a fortune at the Vet and a lot of time staunching the blood flow.

Anyway, about 4 months after the neutering I asked if the Vet could refund my money and put his testicles back on because neutering changed him not at all.

He lived to be 12 and was a great dog - but that first year... shudder.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
    Lucky, just noticed your signature. Certified Vet Tech? Where have I been that I missed that.

Congrats!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
    I agree with Lucky. Cats do this too if the hierarchy has changed somehow, usually with the death of one of the gang. When top cat Thomas Jefferson died, our household was in an uproar. It took months for the remaining cats (four of them) to form a new hierarchy and find their new place in the order. The youngest cat took over as top cat. The oldest cat (formerly respected because of Thomas's protection) became a pariah and was the last to eat at mealtime.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Lucky, just noticed your signature. Certified Vet Tech? Where have I been that I missed that.

Congrats!
    Thank you Judy!

I graduated from school in May for Vet tech and about 3 weeks ago I passed my state boards test.

I've been working at a mixed animal practice for about 8 months now.. Its been lots of fun and I've learned so much :) Best choice I've ever made for myself :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beagles and parks [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a beagle have to be before it can go to a park? :confused:

Do beagles smell? [ 12 Answers ]

I have recently decided to get a beagle puppy... there is just so much negative things I heard about them... Is is true that there is a certain smell on a beagle even is you are planning on housetraining it and not letting it go outside only to do his business? I also heard that they can be...

Beagles and Apartments [ 2 Answers ]

I am a college student and my roommates and I want to get a dog. We are considering a beagle. The concern I have is that we will only be able to go back to our apartment every 3 or 4 hours to take it out and play with it. Will this be enough time? I know that beagles hate being alone, I...

Foxtail in our Beagles nose! [ 2 Answers ]

Our 8 month old beagle puppy got a foxtail (or something) up her nose this morning! She was sneezing terribly, and there was even a small amount of blood in the mucus! She let us look for it, some, but beagles have that flap over their nostrils, and we were not able to retrieve it! Then she gave...

Vaccines for newborn beagles [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering what age to vaccinate newborn beagle pups? Some say at 2 weeks and some say at 6 weeks. Also, what age to worm pups and which worms do we need to worm for? Thank you

View more questions Search