Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkamps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 05:59 AM
    10 week old Sleep habits
    I have seen the questions and answers but Ihave done everything they say and he still doesn't sleep through the night. He is in a crate with 2 of his blankets and nothing should wake him up at 2:30am but he still does he is a restless sleeper. I take water away at 7pm but if you exercise them they get thirsty he get a few slurps then. One thing he sleeps at about 7pm to 9pm and I can't break him of that staying awake. He is a golden retriever.

He is a puppy so does anybody have a suggestion for me?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 01:47 PM
    You're going to hate this answer but ignoring it is what worked best for my german shepherd and my labradors. And they LOVE to bark.
    It sounds like you're doing all the right things putting him in the crate with the blankets and taking the water away, he's just a baby and it will get some taking used to, especially since he's never really been alone before or in a crate. What I do when I leave my shepherd in the crate is put on the radio, it kind of helps distract him a little and keeps any other noises from being heard.
    If it's really annoying you, you might try putting the crate in your room so he can see that he's not alone, just secluded.
    Also because he's so little he might not be able to hold it all the way through the night. It's like a small baby, you have to get up to change their diaper, well with puppies you have to let them outside. Maybe if you put him out before you go to bed and set your alarm to wake you up to let him out again sometime in the middle of the night he won't wake you up. Don't worry you'll be so groggy when you go let him out you won't remember it in the morning (I did this for a few weeks and had to go down 7 stories, it was like sleep walking). Eventually he'll get the gist and sleep through the night!
    Worst case scenario if you think it's attachment anxiety they have anxiety collars that are puppy safe that are supposed to calm dogs down - it might help too.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dkamps View Post
    I have seen the questions and answers but Ihave done everything they say and he still doesn't sleep through the night. He is in a crate with 2 of his blankets and nothing should wake him up at 2:30am but he sitll does he is a restless sleeper. I take water away at 7pm but if you exercise them they get thirsty he get a few slurps then. One thing he sleeps at about 7pm to 9pm and I can't break him of that staying awake. He is a golden retriever.

He is a puppy so does anybody have a suggestion for me?

He's a BABY - I think you are expecting too much. My puppy is now 5 months old. I remember the first 3 months when he woke up every 3 hours and had to go out. I asked the Doctor how much urine a puppy can produce!

He continues to put himself to bed (no joke) about 8:30PM - and then at 12:30AM he needs to go out and at 5:30AM he needs to go out. I let him out (and he wakes up my older dog and she stumbled around, too).

Then we all go back to bed.

Ten week old puppies are babies. I also have never withheld water - I have never seen a connection between water (unless it's a clear case of overdrinking) and urinating. I wouldn't want to be thirsty. I assume my dogs feel the same way.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald View Post
    You're going to hate this answer but ignoring it is what worked best for my german shepherd and my labradors. And they LOVE to bark.
    It sounds like you're doing all the right things putting him in the crate with the blankets and taking the water away, he's just a baby and it will get some taking used to, especially since he's never really been alone before or in a crate. What I do when I leave my shepherd in the crate is put on the radio, it kind of helps distract him a little and keeps any other noises from being heard.
    If it's really annoying you, you might try putting the crate in your room so he can see that he's not alone, just secluded.
    Also because he's so little he might not be able to hold it all the way through the night. It's like a small baby, you have to get up to change their diaper, well with puppies you have to let them outside. Maybe if you put him out before you go to bed and set your alarm to wake you up to let him out again sometime in the middle of the night he won't wake you up. Don't worry you'll be so groggy when you go let him out you won't remember it in the morning (I did this for a few weeks and had to go down 7 stories, it was like sleep walking). Eventually he'll get the gist and sleep through the night!
    Worst case scenario if you think it's attachment anxiety they have anxiety collars that are puppy safe that are supposed to calm dogs down - it might help too.

You have big dogs and live on the seventh floor? How do they exercise?

So you ignore them when they bark? Yes, I can imagine that your neighbors complain. Did you use the shock collar to "teach" your dog not to bark - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/europe...ws-628495.html
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 02:40 PM
    A 10 week old puppy can't be expected to sleep through the night.
    He will need to go out to relieve himself, most dogs aren't fully house trained until about 9-10 months of age, some even a little longer.
    The sleeping is normal, puppies sleep a lot, he is just a baby, give him time.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    A 10 week old puppy can't be expected to sleep through the night.
    He will need to go out to relieve himself, most dogs aren't fully house trained until about 9-10 months of age, some even a little longer.
    The sleeping is normal, puppies sleep a lot, he is just a baby, give him time.
    - And I have always found that babies have internal clocks. He wants to go out and he has to go out - I let him out!

So it "robs" me of 15 minutes of sleep.

Of course, I haven't crated at night since he was 8 weeks old and so -
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 02:48 PM
    At 10 weeks your puppy can spend 2 hours in the crate before he needs to be relieved. It's an hour for every month of age.

This is a baby. Do you have children? If you do, do you remember when your children were newborns, babies? You had to get up a few times a night to feed the baby, change the diaper. It's the same with a puppy. This is a baby in every sense of the word. A baby needs potty breaks more frequently than an adult, and it's unrealistic to think that your puppy will sleep through the night at 10 weeks of age. The puppies bladder isn't mature enough to do what you expect it to do.

Ignoring it is not only cruel, but borders on animal abuse. Do not take that tact.

For now you'll have to get up, let puppy out for a potty, or give the puppy to someone that's willing to take care of its needs.

Sorry if that's harsh, but that's the case. Puppies aren't easy. It takes work, sleepless nights, and inconvenience. I'm shocked that you didn't know that before you got a puppy.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Gernald, you're right, I do hate your answer. This;

You're going to hate this answer but ignoring it is what worked best for my german shepherd and my labradors.
    Is the worst advice I've heard in a long time. Did you realize that the OP's puppy is only 10 weeks old? Are you really advising that she ignore a young puppies bursting bladder just so she can get some rest? Would you suggest that a parent ignore their 10 week old baby that's crying to be fed and changed in the middle of the night?

Not okay. I almost gave you a reddie for this advice.
    Cats Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 03:03 PM
    I did crate train ours when they were pups, mainly because I was the one training and cleaning up the messes if there were any, many nights I set alarms to take them out at regular intervals then went back to bed and waited for the next alarm.
    They simply can't hold it all night when they are that young.
    No crates in use now, thank goodness, there is only one and they use it as a place to go get some peace and quiet.
    Even now my dogs don't sleep completely through the night all the time, I hear them up moving around if they hear something outside or get thirsty.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Gernald, you're right, I do hate your answer. This;

Is the worst advice I've heard in a long time. Did you realize that the OP's puppy is only 10 weeks old? Are you really advising that she ignore a young puppies bursting bladder just so she can get some rest? Would you suggest that a parent ignore their 10 week old baby that's crying to be fed and changed in the middle of the night?

Sure, and don't give them water in the process.

This is a pre-med student. Yikes!
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Rascal is still in his crate. He's almost 6 months old now, and does hold it for most of the night. At this point he needs one potty break at night, but can hold it for up to 8 hours. No, I don't ignore him, nor do I set an alarm. When he needs to go out he whines, and we let him out. We've had a few nights were he slept 8 hours without whining. Truthfully, when that happened the first time, and to be honest, every time since, I wake up in a panic thinking something is wrong.

I don't really like the idea of setting an alarm for a potty break. There's one reason for this. It's training. If you wake up at certain times to let your dog out, even though the dog hasn't asked to go out, you can actually condition the dog to wake up at those times, asking to go out even though he/she doesn't need to.

It's the same with a baby. When I had my son my doctor told me to wake him up every 3 hours to nurse. Well, Jared woke up every 4 hours. I didn't see a reason to wake him up if he wasn't hungry enough to ask to be fed. Because of that, he slept through the night at 2 months. Syd, not so much. For Syd I listened to the doctor, woke her up to nurse every 3 hours. She didn't sleep through the night until she was almost 2 years old. :(
    Cats Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Rascal is still in his crate. He's almost 6 months old now, and does hold it for most of the night. At this point he needs one potty break at night, but can hold it for up to 8 hours. No, I don't ignore him, nor do I set an alarm. When he needs to go out he whines, and we let him out. We've had a few nights were he slept 8 hours without whining. Truthfully, when that happened the first time, and to be honest, every time since, I wake up in a panic thinking something is wrong.

I don't really like the idea of setting an alarm for a potty break. There's one reason for this. It's training. If you wake up at certain times to let your dog out, even though the dog hasn't asked to go out, you can actually condition the dog to wake up at those times, asking to go out even though he/she doesn't need to.

It's the same with a baby. When I had my son my doctor told me to wake him up every 3 hours to nurse. Well, Jared woke up every 4 hours. I didn't see a reason to wake him up if he wasn't hungry enough to ask to be fed. Because of that, he slept through the night at 2 months. Syd, not so much. For Syd I listened to the doctor, woke her up to nurse every 3 hours. She didn't sleep through the night until she was almost 2 years old. :(
    You're right an alarm isn't for revery one as they aged I stretched out the times, the main reason for the alarm was because the dogs and kids were on on end of the house, I on the other and I couldn't always hear them whining, and those kids woke up for nothing.
    I probably should have specified that as the reason, if I were able to have kept them in my room an alarm wouldn't have been necessary.
    But you are right I would find that they expected to go out at certain times when they were younger. Eventually we outgrew the alarm and the need for middle of the night breaks.
    Thanks for pointing it out.:)
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 03:35 PM
    Ahh, that's the difference. Rascal's crate is in our room. I'm a light sleeper. I really don't need an alarm because I can hear every move he makes at night. By the way, he snores. :(

If Rascal wasn't in our room I would likely set an alarm just to check on him. Not necessarily take him out, but check to see if he needs to go out. :)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm not sure how this is very relevant? I live in a very small apartment with a high-energy Wheaton X and a 5 month old Great Dane. I'm unsure what living quarters (or floor for that matter) has to do with exercise?
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Anyway, having gone through the puppy stage a few months ago, this is what I did.

We had Apollo's crate in the bedroom with us. The last thing we did before we went to bed was took him out to pee. The first three days we were up every 2 hours or so to take him out. By the time he was about 10 weeks old we only had to get up around 3:00am to let him out - so he went out around 10:00pm, 3:00am, and again at 6:00am when we got up to start the day.
    While during regular (during the day) crate training we obviously wouldn't let him out if he was crying or making a fuss, at night we sort of waived that because he seemed to only cry when he needed out and I didn't want him to mess in his crate.

We may have gotten lucky. At 12 weeks Apollo started sleeping through the night. He is good from 10:00pm to 8:00am or so (though on weekdays we are up at 6). Like everything with a puppy it just takes time and patience. And different methods may work for some people, but not others.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Sariss, you were lucky. At 12 weeks most puppies can't hold it for the entire night. Most puppies don't have good bladder control until at least 4 months, but that's just for potty training, not overnight.

I do agree that different methods work for different people, but nobody should ignore a 10 week old puppy that whines to be let out during the night. That's my point. It's not okay, not acceptable, and it's abuse, pure and simple.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Sariss, you were lucky. At 12 weeks most puppies can't hold it for the entire night. Most puppies don't have good bladder control until at least 4 months, but that's just for potty training, not overnight.

I do agree that different methods work for different people, but nobody should ignore a 10 week old puppy that whines to be let out during the night. That's my point. It's not okay, not acceptable, and it's abuse, pure and simple.
    Ohh yes I was expecting to be getting up in the night for several months (though I'm so glad it only lasted a few weeks). Maybe it's his size that allows him to last through the night. :P
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Golden retreviers need lots of exercise even as 3-6 month old puppies. The more you exercise him, the more he is going to sleep through the night.

I would also ignore his crying in the middle of the night. If he is in the room with you, tap him on the top of the crate and tell him quiet. A majority of puppies can hold it through the night. I have a 4 month old Doxie pup that has held it through the night since he was 13 weeks.. his bladder is much smaller... if he can do it, so can yours. You just need to stand your ground.

During his 7pm-9pm nap.. I would say that is when its time for a walk, play with him, take him on a car ride... Don't let him sleep! When you take a 2-3 hour nap during the day, you're not tired at strange hours of the night either.. bottom line.. Don't LET HIM SLEEP! Figure out how to get him moving during that time.

There is no magical training technique to house train a puppy. You need lots of time, patience and willing to go stand outside in the rain, snow and blistering heat until he goes potty. If you're not willing to do that, than a puppy is not the choice for you.

Making sure this pup is exercised and TIRED by the end of the day is just as big of a responisiblity as the house trianing itself.

99% of all house training mistakes are due to the owner. You need to find a schedule that works for you and stick to it. Even when the puppy is relapsing and going potty in the house... just stick to your schedule and your routine. Consistancy is the biggest part of house training.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    So you ignore them when they bark? Yes, I can imagine that your neighbors complain. Did you use the shock collar to "teach" your dog not to bark - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/europe...ws-628495.html

The german shepherd was a bit of a different case as the labs lived in the US and in our house... seeing as I live in an apartment now obviously there were times when the barking couldn't be ignored- particularly when I wasn't home (Copper is one of the most anxious dogs I've ever had). But after filming him while I was gone it turns out he was only barking for about 5-10 minutes after I left which was not what the neighbors were claiming (they said it was going on for hours, but no one else ever said anything)... after getting into a very heated conversation with them about it, it turns out that they just didn't like me as an American. And no, I did NOT use a bark collar he was way to young for that, though I can't say it didn't cross my mind after the first time the neighbors attacked me.
    As for exercise, living on the seventh floor and living in the city provides more opportunities than you'd think for exercise (up the stairs, down the stairs... repeat). I'm also an avid runner so I take him on my short slower paced jogs. Also, because I live in Poland, they're a bit more dog friendly and I can take him practically everywhere. And I'm usually home studying, so we play fetch in between pages.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

As someone else said ignoring him is animal abuse... this I do not think is necessarily true. Yes it's kind of mean to ignore anything that's pleading to be let out of a cage. But, if you go to the cage and let him out every time he yaps he'll associate barking with being let out. You're not harming him by laying down rules. I do think though that he should be let out more often through the night, expecting a small puppy to cross his legs that long is kind of rough. And you'll note that letting him out through the night more often was also part of my suggestion.

Thanks for the attack guys. Sorry I'm not a life long PETA member.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2012, 04:16 AM
    Gernald, you're right, I do hate your answer

I normally stay out of the pet area, this is why, it is one of the worst ansiwers I have seen in a bit, I had to give a reddie, sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a 8 week old rottweiler to sleep? [ 8 Answers ]

And tips to help a puppy sleep through the night or at least stop crying?

How do I encourage my boyfriend to sleep more during the week? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend hardly sleeps at all. He seems to think that getting by on 5 or 6 hours a night is fine for him. The thing is, he has started falling asleep at extremely inconvenient times. We're in a long distance relationship, so we only get to see each other for a day or two at a time every...

40 week old havanese pees in his sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old male havanese that pees while he sleeps most of the time. Is there a underlaying problem or is it just part of growing up just like humans. He doesn't pee or poop in the house so I'm not sure why this is... please advice.

Our 10 week old puppy will NOT sleep at night [ 9 Answers ]

We have an Old English Sheepdog who is 10 weeks old-Benji. He has been with us for 5 days and he has settled in with us well. However, as soon as we put him to bed, he cries,barks,yelps etc... We have another dog- a 4 year old bichon frise, who he gets along with.Benji sleeps in the utility room...

10 Week Lab won't sleep or eat [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband just recently got married and bought a yellow lab to keep me company while he is at work. We bought a cedar bed for him at costco to sleep on, however he won't sleep on it. He will only chew on it. The only thing he will fall asleep on is our leather sofa or sometimes our bed. No...

View more questions Search