Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yesy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Can a positive hpt result but having a period mean pregnancy?
    I have been spotting for 2 days and I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. And am 2 days behind my period. Could I be pregnant
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Yes you could be pregnant... read on.

"Can a woman be pregnant and still have a period?"

Pregnant women can have some light irregular bleeding during pregnancy, but it should not be like a “normal” period. Some women can confuse this for their period because often it can come right around the time she was expecting her normal period. The irregular bleeding or spotting that can occur during pregnancy is often a dark brown color or a light pinkish. It should not be enough bleeding to fill pads or tampons over a few days. If you are bleeding enough to fill pads and tampons, then this would be a good indication that you are not pregnant.

What if I have a positive pregnancy test and then start bleeding?

About 25-30% of pregnant women experience some type of spotting or bleeding in early pregnancy. This can be a result of many different factors including implantation bleeding, infection, cervical irritation, ectopic pregnancy or a threatened miscarriage. Many women who have this light bleeding go on to have normal pregnancies and healthy babies. About half of the women who experience some light bleeding will go on to have heavier bleeding that will ultimately result in miscarriage. Unfortunately there is no way to predict whether vaginal bleeding will progress to miscarriage. If you experience light bleeding that continues to get heavier, accompanied by painful cramping, back pain or stabbing pains, then you would want to seek medical attention right away.

If you experience some very slight spotting that then goes away, you would want to make sure to share this with your healthcare provider so that they are fully informed of everything you are experiencing in your pregnancy.

Pregnancy FAQ: Early Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No period for 11 weeks after D&C, HPT result (-). What to do to get my period back? [ 0 Answers ]

No period for 11 weeks after D&C, HPT result is negative. I took prometrium for 10 days but still no period. What should I do to get my period back?

Are there any signs of pregnancy that could show up BEFORE a positive HPT? [ 6 Answers ]

May be a stupid question, but I am curious. Are there any signs/symptoms of pregnancy that can be experienced before you have even gotten a positive pregnancy test? For the last few weeks I've been able to smell things from a mile away. I was working inside the service desk in the grocery store...

Well. Could an inconclusive pregnancy result mean positive? [ 13 Answers ]

I had an inconclusive result along with 3 negatives. No period for 2 months my belly has been getting bigger and my boobs so what do u think?

Can I get a positive pregnancy result 2 days after implantation [ 1 Answers ]

Had a period on 13th April which was a week early because I didn't take the pill for 4 days in a row, then after my period I took maybe 2 active tablets, then I forgot 3 more active tablets in a row and had bleeding (22nd) for a few days, is that with drawl bleeding due to not taking the pills...

Is is possiable that you NEVER get a positive result on a HPT but still be pregnant [ 15 Answers ]

Hi there: Me and my husband have been trying for 3 months now to become pregnant. I was just woundering if there is any way that I could be the type of person that will never get a positve result on a HPT. I am not late yet my period is due in 2 days and I took a test today and it said you can...

View more questions Search