Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannon112689 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
    My dog won't put weight on her leg, what could it be?
    I have a 2 year old Pitbull named Chloe. I put her in her cage for bed Sunday night and woke up to her whining. I got up to let her out to go potty and she had her leg up, not putting any weight down on it. I laid her down and squeezed all the parts of her leg and she cried when I squeezed her thigh, right above her knee.

All day, Monday, she didn't put any weight on her leg and just laid outside all day. Before bed, I had to go out, call her and weight for her to slowly limp to come inside. Usually, she'd want to come inside ASAP.

Now, Tuesday morning, she is still putting no weight on the leg.

In August 2011, she had her leg shattered, had surgery, and a external fixator (leg brace) in until January 2012. All that cost $3000 and I have no more money to put into her. Any advice helps.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Unfortunately we cannot diagnose her leg problem over the internet.
    It could be as simple as a muscle strain or more serious things like bone or tendon injures.
    What ever you do, please do not give her any medication meant for humans use, some pose very serious complications for dogs like liver/kidney damage, stomach ulcers etc.
    Call your vet and have her checked if it continues.
    An initial exam shouldn't break the bank, go from there and before any diagnostic testing is done (most likely x-rays) get the price before hand and see if they can work with you or can offer you other options.
    Good Luck, I hope you get her sorted out.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Mar 15, 2012, 01:37 AM
    Best advice as Lady Sam suggests. Make sure it is the vet who did the repair in the first place... no one knows more about what went on than the person that fixed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to give a dog to put on weight? [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted a shih-poo from a local rescue and he is SUPER thin. I read some other advice about giving puppy food to help. He is 1 year old. Do I give all puppy food or mix in with the adult food I give him now? I have him on Blue Buffalo Small breed adult. Thanks!

How do I put healthy weight on my young dog? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a silky terrier that is 1.5 years old. My little guy is healthy and active. My vet says he is border line thin but healthy and physcally fit. She told me to keep an eye on his wieght so he doesn't lose any more. I do not want to comprise my dogs health in anyway, but everyone who...

How can I get my dog to put on weight [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone can help me I have a 4 year old german shephard he is a great dog but is under weight we have had him for a couple of months now and nothing we do seems to help can anyone give me any advice. Thanks in advance

After delivery back and leg pain and weight losing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am 27 years old. Before marriage my weight was 70kgs and after marriage with in 2months I put-on 5kgs then I got pregnant and total 35kgs I put-on during my pregnancy after delivery I lost 10 kgs now my weight is 100kgs. Before I use to diet and do some heavy house work which use to...

Losing weight on the upper leg area only [ 1 Answers ]

I excerise regularly and am doing good but there is this one dam area that I have always had a problem with and that is I find I just can't slim down the upper leg area.I tried using weights but all this does is make it more muscular which is not what I want.Anyone gat any suggetions for this...

View more questions Search