Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saanu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 06:49 PM
    In a relationship for 8 years!
    Hi, I am a 20-year-old girl in a relationship for the past 8 years. I know this sounds really crazy but yeah, it is going really good, and we both have been placed in two well-reputed MNCs. We are in our final year B.tech in different colleges.

I am a Brahmin and he a Marwari from the same place. I know Marwaris are very strict and convincing his parents is really difficult. I am scared if his parents do not agree--then what am I supposed to do? I am a single child so I am pretty sure my parents will have to agree down the line. :) But it's his family I am scared of, and he is very much attached to his family so that he will not run away etc with me.

In 2 years time, I know my parents will start considering matches for me. I have asked my boyfriend many times what should I do or learn to impress his mother. He says we have time, not now. And yeah his mom knows me well as a school friend and all. Still I am really tensed as to how to convince his parents. Help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
    When your boyfriend says "we have time," what does he mean?
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Oct 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Saanu,

Convincing his parents is the only way out. No doubt, it is difficult, but its not impossible. Talk with him, about the way outs. Still, even if he procrastinates, try hard to get back to topic, as he might be avoiding of thinking of this tough task, which if fails, can get you off him. Persuation, convincing, communication are the keys. Else, elope!
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Nov 1, 2011, 02:04 AM
    I for one, don't believe in changing the way you act to impress others. A good first impression, of course, is helpful, so elbows off the dinner table. But remember, his mother would be in your life for the rest of hers, so you should act naturally!

X Dani
    saanu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 05:37 AM
    Thank you guys!
    Wondergirl: When he says we have time he means I am 20 years old and he 21 still in college. We do have time in our hands say another 2 years. So he does not want to rush anything right now!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2011, 07:33 AM
    You've been dating him since you were 12 years old? If family is important to both of you I most definitely would not run away/elope.

You have (apparently) two years to convince both sets of parents that your relationship is solid and you are good for each other. Just be yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 years in relationship... time to go?! [ 13 Answers ]

I have been with my now husband for 10 years married little over 4. We have 7 kids between us, 1 who isn't either one of ours but his ex wife's who had the child during their marriage, anyway I have ALWAYS been a wonderful step mom even to the child that is not my husband’s! I & my husband have...

My relationship of 5 years isn't everything I want. [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for five years, we've had a house together for 2 years. Before I could imagine us getting married and feeling happier than ever, but there's been times in the past he's just upped and left me with no explanation, and I've never even got a phone call from him. It...

4 years of relationship without any hope. [ 1 Answers ]

Most of us were in love and relationships. Many of us claim that if we spend time together with our Girl Friend/ Boy friend, then we will get to know each other very well. Now, I doubt that. We are into this relationship for more that 4 years. Stayed together, had same opinions and everythg, but...

After 4 years she says doesn't want a relationship? What do I do? What would YOU do? [ 33 Answers ]

Ok, so where do I begin. I'm male 22 and my partner is about to turn 18 . We have been together for four years and they have been great. However it has been a long distance relationship and we have had our ups and downs. Recently last week when everything was going fine she suddenly dropped a...

2 years and still not sure if I want this relationship [ 3 Answers ]

Ive been dating this girl for to a little over 2 years, I think I love her but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the level of relationship that I should be in. I'm now a senior in high school and I've been having a real hard time the last few weeks because I don't know if I really want to be in this...

View more questions Search