Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sylvester30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
    9 week old shih tzu pottying EVERYWHERE!
    Please help ! I got a shih tzu about a week ago. He is 9 weeks old now. For the first few days he did WONDERFUL at going potty outside. Now, the past 4 days it seems like every half hour he is peeing or pooping in the house. He even pooped on my leather couch this morning! I take him outside and for a walk- within minutes of being back into the house he goes on the floor! How is it possible for him to be "mostly" outdoor trained and now goes wherever he wants! I bring him out in the middle of the night to go potty; but still nothing. He does well in the crate when I am not home; and at night he sleeps with me( I know. Big mistake, but I like it.. and he doesn't potty on my bed.. yet) What can I do to make him potty outside and not all over the house/furniture! Im getting very frustrated!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 04:52 AM
    Have you got him checked out for anything medical? That’s always best to rule out, behavior can easily be fixed once we know that's what it is.

So is he pooping when you are home or only when you are away? Is he up to date with worm meds?

If it is a behavior issue, you are going to want to nix this asap while he is still a pup. I would steer clear of puppy training pads, as they only lead to further confusion. Make sure to crate while you are away, this is a great house breaking tool. Don't use the crate as punishment, you want your pup to see this as a safe happy place. Crates act like dens in the wild. It only needs to be big enough for them to stand, turn and lay down, anything bigger and they will designate a potty area. You need to show him that you are in charge and he doesn't get to mess in YOUR home.

You're probably going to have to go back to basics with him, this means, every time he eats, drinks or plays he goes outside and you wait out there with him until he does his business. When he does make a mess, make sure you are using a good enzyme cleaner such as vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil. I have just started using the tea tree oil and one of my dogs who was always messing it the crate has totally stopped.

Don't forget your pup is ONLY 9 weeks. He doesn't know what is expected yet. He is just a baby. Some dogs take days, weeks or months to fully house break. You need to be patient and consistent. 9 weeks, he has just left his pack and is going to test his new waters to see what he can get away with. I don’t usually recommend letting a dog sleep in the bed with you, as they see this as being equal to you. Then you end up with dominance issues. You need to let your little guy know you are the boss and he is living in your home. This doesn’t mean you have to growel or act aggressively or pin him or anything like that, it just simply means gently and consistently reminding him that he is the dog and you are on the top of the totem pole.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lethargic 2 and a half week shih tzu puppy [ 1 Answers ]

This puppy is half the size of her sister and was previously very active and loud, but now has stopped feeding and is breathing funny. She is just laying on her side and is not even trying to feed. What could be wrong?

How do I train my 11 week old male shih tzu? [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I have never had a small size puppy and I thought it would be easy to potty train him but not at all... I take him out every hour or half and he has no problem peeing as soon as we get outside but even after he pees I stay out side with him for 10 minutes or so hoping he will poop but it...

Grooming question about our 8 week old Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu [ 1 Answers ]

I have a grooming questions about our 8 week old Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu? He is pretty fuzzy. How often in general should he be groomed? Also, I heard from several people about how his rear end should be groomed. Some people said to make sure that he doesn't have a lot of hair around his butt,...

View more questions Search