Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amber_renae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
    My 2 year old terrier still poops in her crate
    My 2 year old Manchester Terrier still poops in her kennel and it not just a little bit. We've tried everything we can think of. We don't keep any bedding in it because if we do she ruins it. It's really gross and we have to bathe her every day which is causing a skin condition.

My biggest concern is that we just got another puppy (Bassett) and I'm afraid that she will do the same thing. Both my husband and I work but the kids are home in the afternoon and let them out so its about 6-7 hours a day that they are in their crates. Do you think the oldest one should be let out? She still poops in the house on occasion.

I need help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
    I think a 2 year old should be able to go 6-7 hours, so wouldn't hurt to have a vet check. That is a little long. If nobody can make it home at lunch time, you might see if a neighbor or a professional dog walker could give her a mid day break. If you are feeding a grain based chow, switching to a more concentrated, meat based one such as Iams or Pro Plan would produce smaller stools perhaps helping. They are also firmer, perhaps smearing less. Blocking off part of the crate leaving her just enough room to stretch out might help too. Make sure she walks around a bit outside just before going into the crate.

I have found a grid in the crate is highly effective on urine, but less so with bowel movements. Another member here has raised the issue of the dog injuring a leg in the grid. I am reconsidering them. Just because I haven't had problems with a dozen or more puppies doesn't mean they are safe.

They are available with the crates, but expensive and hard to find. A piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper. I am now using a plastic vegetable bin with plenty of holes drilled in the bottom. It helps block off part of the crate for the smaller puppy.

I do not think leaving her loose in the house is the answer. The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.
    lnl232699 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_renae
    My 2 year old Manchester Terrier still poops in her kennel and it not just a little bit. We've tried everything we can think of. We don't keep any bedding in it because if we do she ruins it. It's really gross and we have to bathe her every day which is causing a skin condition.

My biggest concern is that we just got another puppy (Bassett) and I'm afraid that she will do the same thing. Both my husband and I work but the kids are home in the afternoon and let them out so its about 6-7 hours a day that they are in their crates. Do you think the oldest one should be let out? She still poops in the house on occasion.

I need help!
    I bet you've already tried professinal help, but it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe she's sick, get her checked just in case.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 16, 2007, 08:03 PM
    My first try would be to make sure the crate is not too big. They just need enough room to turn around and lay down. Many dogs who mess their crate have a crate bigger than they need.

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Being a dog expert is a lot more fun with good help such as Beth.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
    I bet you talk this sweet to all the ladies ! :-)
    animal advocate Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_renae

I need help!
    First I would ask how long you have had the dog. Second I would say confining her to a smaller and smaller environment won't help her. I doubt she is doing this to irritate you. She probably has a digestion problem or a behavioral problem that needs attention.

Again I would say a cage/crate is not the answer but perhaps giving her more attention could help.

I must ask why you would obtain another dog when your first dog is such a problem. Keeping a dog in a crate for 6-7 hrs is inhumane and having a second dog is going to be twice the problem.

My suggestion is to give your dogs more attention. Either by having someone come in to walk them or take them to a doggie day care. Please don't keep your dog locked up in a crate for more than three hours at a time. This is your problem. Not the dogs.

Molly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

My yorkie pees and poops in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My yourkie pees and poos in the crate.. she know how to go out, and use the pee pad, but she rather use the crate or the house to relieve her self.. did I mention I also have a 18month old GSD.. he is great... but this 3 moths old has me cleaning 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.. help... :mad: ...

Boston Terrier Poops in house [ 2 Answers ]

7 month, male, Boston goes outdoors and poops heavily three times a day but will still find a way to poop in the house. Different sites on the NET talk about a special training method for Boston Terriers that is guarunteed to stop your dog from craping in the house for $49.95. I'm at my witts end...

My 2 year old stofordshire bull terrier has stopped eating. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my Staffordshire bull terrier has stopped eating anything. I have tried tempting him with his favorite treat (mature cheder cheese) but he won't touch it, he is quite large for his age (nearly fully grown) and is naturally active and playful all of the time even now when he hasn't been...

Pitt mix poops in crate everyday [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for...

View more questions Search