Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KayleePooh Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
    Ahh my dog ate a pork side rib bone
    Hi! Should I be calling a vet. My 75lbs ridgeback ate a Cooked pork side rib bone,
    (4 of them) off the counter. They were about the size of a ladies ring finger.

My fiancé and I are pretty freaked out. She seems OK right now, but we are watching her closely.

Any advice??
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:30 AM

I am so sorry this question went unanswered until now, it seems all our pet experts are away for the weekend.

At this point there isn't much you can do, the bones are well on their way through her system.

Dogs can digest bones, the problem is when they chew the bones and they splinter, or if the bones themselves are sharp.
    Sometimes they can eat cooked bones with no problems, mine have stolen cooked chicken bones off our counter more times than I care to count and they are all fine.

Just keep a close eye on her for the next few days.
    Signs to watch out for are lethargy, vomiting, excessive drooling, rectal bleeding and constipation.

But really once she has had her next bowel movement you should be in the clear.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 12:26 PM

It's probably too late now, but if something like this ever happens again, try feeding a few slices of bread to help cushion the bones, there will be a less chance of any puncturing this way.

Cotton balls soaked in chicken broth are an excellent help, better then bread, but a lot of dog (understandably) wouldn't eat the cotton.

I am also sorry this question went un-answered, please come back and let us know how she made out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog ate Pork Bone [ 4 Answers ]

My Terrier ate Pork bone and is throwing up now. Haven't seen any diarrea just throwing up. What should I do?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 13 Answers ]

My fox terrier ate a pork bone last night and this morning at 6 am he went out to potty and was having trouble pooping. I let him in and out a few times finally when he did go it was in the house and when I cleaned it up I noticed it was hard and had bone fragments in it. Then he started to throw...

What to do if a dog swallows a pork rib bone whole [ 2 Answers ]

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone whole, it was about the size of a middle finger, she is a 65 lb golden retreiver yellow lab mix

What to do if a dog swallows a pork rib bone whole [ 1 Answers ]

My 65 lb yellowlab golden retreiver mix dog swallowed a pork rib bone whole it was the size of a middle finger

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

View more questions Search