Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    campos418 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2010, 12:54 AM
    Do parakeets or cackatiels have fleas or other bugs that can get on us?
    My wife thinks that our parakeets and cockatiels have some sort of bug on them which is causing her to itch.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 19, 2010, 05:12 AM
    Yes, various kinds of mites. Check out birdmite.com. People don't always succeed using the suggestions, however (I see that the site is for sale!). It can be a real problem if something is biting you. Eradication of any tiny bug that gets into mattresses and cupboards and food and rugs - anything - can be very difficult.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 06:48 PM

If your wife thinks that your birds have mites than it's time to talk to your vet. There are powders and drops available for this. Mites aren't hard to get rid of. Once the proper medication is applied just keep the bird cages clean and you shouldn't have any further problems.

Your wife's itching could also be because of allergies. Birds create a fine dust on their skin, it comes off when they groom. Many people are allergic to this dust. There's not anything that can be done about that though, other than allergy meds for your wife or re-homing the birds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Parakeets [ 5 Answers ]

Wow alty I didn't know that you knew so much about birds! (even though you're a pets experts.. duh!) maybe you can give me some tips because I have found it impossible to train my parrakets. I have a female one who is scared of me but not as much as she used to be. I can't touch her at all and she...

How do I sex my parakeets? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have two indian ringneck parakeets and me and my mum can't tell if they are both male's both females or a breeding pair. Although I have looked up about them on the internet and search engines and it portrays them being male and female we don't know how old they are so we can't be sure anyone...

My parakeets [ 3 Answers ]

I have two indian ringneck parakeets 1 male blue and 1 female grey the female is about two years old and the male is about 6 - 7 months but the female has always been very aggressive I think maybe she was just plucked out of the wild but its not that its she is being very aggressive to the other...

Lice from Parakeets [ 1 Answers ]

My baby's moma is in at me about my son having head lice. I don't have lice. My other kids don't have lice. My fiancé don't have lice. I do however have parakeets. Can they have the same lice that is tranmittable to humans? Also is it true that black people don't get lice?

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

View more questions Search