Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichaelG Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2007, 06:38 PM
    What to do about butt-ugly brick
    I'm currently remodeling a 1500 sq. ft. ranch house. I've already gutted the interior. The outside of the house has brick veneer that is very unattractive. Call me crazy, but I prefer the look of vinyl siding.

Here's my dilemma: This remodel will include several changes that could be accommodated much easier with the brick removed. Installing new vinyl would also be easier with the brick removed. However, removing the brick would be quite a task.

I'm doing all of this work myself and I'm prepared to do whatever is most beneficial. Just wondering whether I should remove the brick or vinyl over it and attempt to complete improvements with brick in place.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Michael
    South Carolina
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I apologize for responding and not having any actual advice...

I just found it very funny that at first glance I read 'What to do about butt-ugly CHICK' as the topic sentence... LOL.

So are you remodeling this house for resale or to live in?

I would say if you are just going to sell it, to leave the brick, maybe paint it.. but if its something your going to live in I would want to go all the way.

Is it brick all over or just the bottom half? I have a cousin that renovated their new house and it was pretty ugly before... they have the lower half with brick. But after replacing the vinyl siding above the brick, and giving the brick a pressure wash.. it looks fantastic!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 07:10 PM
    I would talk to a Realtor about dumping the brick house and picking up a non brick one. You may not be crazy, but in a substantial minority. Brick houses are worth more. And please don't paint it.

It is like me and all the #$%*&#$%& gadgets on my car. I despise the electric windows.

Jan 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
    I think it would be pretty hard for him to dump this house when he has already gutted the interior
    MichaelG Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply. My better half and I have been together for 31 years now. She's definitely not butt-ugly. Can't say the same for her husband, though.

As for the house, it has brick veneer from top to bottom. This house previously belonged to my inlaws. My wife and I are remodeling it and plan to live there when the project is completed.

My instinct is to just remove the bricks entirely and replace the siding as if it were new construction. It's not that I don't like bricks, I just don't like the bricks that are currently installed (looks like something from an old factory).

I like vinyl because it's very low maintenance and I can intall it myself. However, I'll still have to install a curtain wall of new bricks from the floor level down to achieve a good look with the siding.

Decisions, decisions.

Michael

Jan 5, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Aaaah OK, well... I guess it depends on how dedicated you are and how much time/money you want to spend.

For me, if it's a house I plan on moving into and living in for a long time... I would want to drive up and smile when I see it, not frown and wished I had done this or that when I had the chance...

I say go for it!. and uuugh Good Luck too:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ugly legs [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I'm 24 and I have 2 kids... and I have a real big problem... I have some really ugly veins on the back of my legs.. mainly right behind the knee where our legs bend... I've always had dark veins.. even as a kid I remember looking down at my legs and seeing my viens.. with my first daughter I...

Tight butt! [ 5 Answers ]

I want a nice firm sexy butt, mine's getting a little flat because I've been losing weight. Any ideas how I can be a little more rounded/tight? My butt has always been my best feature and now I fear that I'm losing it! I'd try squats and stuff but I like how thin my thighs are getting, I don't want...

Ugly Luck! [ 2 Answers ]

A deformed and ugly man walks into his local pub with a big grin on his face. "What are you so happy about?" asks the barman. "I'll tell you," replies the ugly man. "You know, I live by the railway. Well, on my way home last night, I noticed a young woman tied to the tracks, like in the...

Ugly leg scars [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm female with dark brown skin, when I was 12 I broke my leg and the doctors had put a steel pin through it, about 5cms down from my knee (in one side and out the other) so I have 2 little scars on my right leg, which are about 2cms each I have never worn a skirt or shorts I can't even go to...

Workin' my butt off... yet it's still there! [ 5 Answers ]

Here's a bit of background... I am 36 years old, have two children, 6 and 3. I had my thyroid checked about 2 years ago and unfortunately (or fortunatley, I guess) I can't blame my weight on that as I did not have any thyroid issues at the time. My mother does have an underactive thyroid, by the...

View more questions Search