Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Mini Doxie
    I have a 5 month old miniture doxie who is just wonderful. I know every mom says this, but I think he is an over achiever! Anyway, he recently started sleeping on the heat runs when the heat is on. This is something new, as he usually would go into his crate to sleep or find a blanket. Should I be worried that he is cold or uncomfortable and searching out the heat for comfort? He is not shaking, and is eating fine.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
    It is a basic principle of physics that smaller things have a greater surface to mass ratio. So many smaller dogs do have a problem keeping warm. Puppies often do not have the same warm coat adults do. I would try to make sure he has a cozy place to nap. You do need to balance warmth and chewing misadventures. Some dogs can't be trusted around electric cords and even bedding.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Thanks Labman... he had never done that before, but has done it a couple of times in the last 2 days. Poor thing might need more blankets.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Year ago, we were puppy sitting a Mini Dachshund. Perhaps we kept our thermostat lower than she was used to. Every time the furnace kicked on, she laid down on the one register. The one time her toe nail got caught in it. She frantically galloped across the room dragging the register.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Jan 4, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Labman - Great visual of a mini dox amongst your labs ! She could have cuddled up with one of them instead.

-Beth
    animal advocate Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Smooth coated Dachshunds seem to get cold easier than any other dog I have met. When I used to board dogs the dachsy owners would bring little flannel doggie sleeping bags for their dogs and the little guys would burrow right inside and stay warm. It always freaked me out when I went to walk them and couldn't find them because they had disappeared into their sleeping bags!

You might also think about a flannel coat/ bathrobe for night time. I think coats are better than sweaters because they can't get their nails caught in fabric like they can with knitting.

Hope this helps.

Molly
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Tuscany has his very own flannel PJ's that he sleeps in. Perhaps I need to get him a shirt or something to wear throughout the day. He does just what Labman describes... the minute the heat comes on he is on that register and there he stays until it is off.

You should see the camoflauged jacket that my sister got him for christmas... yep my dog is completely spoiled. But dang is he cute. I see now why the breeder says that minis are like Lays potato chips... you can never have just one.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by badams007
    Labman - Great visual of a mini dox amongst your labs ! She could have cuddled up with one of them instead.

-Beth
    No such luck, we were actually between dogs at that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Doxie [ 2 Answers ]

I have a mini Doxie who will be 11 months old shortly. She is just finishing up her first heat which has been 3 weeks. Her nipples are still swoolen and her bottom as well, but not nearly as much. The blood is gone. I've been told that when they go "clear" that is when they are fertile. How...

Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

To anyone who can answer this... I am a recent first time mini Doxie owner and was wondering why she has gained up to 9 pounds @ only 6 months of age. I take her for 2-3 mile walks everyday. She eats 2 sometimes 3 times a day (@ recommended servings) depending on activity level. I can't help but...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

How old is to old? Mini Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old mini dashound. We are looking at possibly breeding her. How old is to old? Also she is a pure bread dog and the stud we are looking at is a dapple(? ) are they OK to breed together? Thank you

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search