Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Sep 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
    My Westie Just Swallowed a Chicken Bone...
    My 6 month old female westie just swallowed the end of a chicken leg bone. She gagged for just a few seconds but now seems fine.

Will she be able to digest the bone or is some specific treatment needed?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 12:52 PM

If the bone was raw, she should be okay. Was it the grizzel part or was it actual bone?

You can feed her a slice or two of bread to cushion the stomach lining. Cotton balls soaked in chicken broth work well too, but I have never been able to get my dog to eat the cotton. If she has no bowl movements in 24 hours, is not eating, seems to be drooling or in obvious discomfort take her to the vet asap.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 28, 2010, 02:49 PM

I agree in wanting to know, was the bone raw? What was the size? How did she act after swallowing it? I wouldn't use the cotton balls; but try to keep her comfortable.
    I would consult your vet.
    Has anything changed [since posted] with her eating, water intake, or bowel movements?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 03:03 PM

As mentioned, if you can convince your dog to eat some cotton balls soaked in broth or milk, that would help. Bread will work too, but it breaks down fast. The idea is that the cotton balls would attach to the sharp ends of the bones if it splinters, to prevent perforation.

Keep an eye on her. If anything happens like vomit, diarrhea, no bowel movement by tomorrow afternoon, lethargy etc etc then call your vet.
    Cooked or raw, it could still kill your dog if it gets lodged.

Sep 29, 2010, 04:37 AM
    The bone was cooked (from one of those roasted chickens they sell at the grocery stores) I think it was just the very end of the leg bone (knee joint).

Thanks for the quick responses; she seemed fine all last night and this morning she is her usual self. No vomiting or unusual bowel movements. Thanks again!
    Dogs Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 11:34 AM

Glad to hear that Studio!
    Dogs Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 07:33 PM

LJ, why wouldn't you suggest feeding the dog cotton balls if he had eaten a cooked bone.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2010, 08:45 PM

Is she still doing good?

Oct 5, 2010, 10:07 AM

Yes, she is fine. No indication that there was any problem at all.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 435Studio View Post
    Yes, she is fine. No indication that there was any problem at all.
    That's great. Thank you for the update. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! My dog just swallowed a pork bone, what should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

So my sheltie just swallowed a pork rib bone about as big as my middle finger and less than one inch long. He's around 25 pounds and is 3 years old. I'm not sure what to do since its very late at night and I'm about to go to sleep so I can't stay up to keep an eye on him. He seems to be acting fine...

Dog swallowed bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 12mth old blue pitbull Ziggy, swallowed a pork rib bone on 12/13. Since then he has lost weight from lack of eating. However, I have been hand feeding him baked fish fillets and bread. He has vomit at least once, he has not passed anything that I have seen. I touched his stomach and he screamed....

Dog swallowed pork bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 lab/beagle (who is probably part goat as he eats anything that he can get his paws on) swallowed a cooked pork bone. I am giving him a lot of water as well as the cotton ball treatment, but I am wondering if I should give him anything to soften his stool or accelerate the pooping?

Puppy swallowed beefhide bone [ 2 Answers ]

My ten week old puppy was given a thin but long piece of beefhide and swallowed it after about 20-30 minutes of chewing on it. I am pretty sure that it was still quite big when it went down. Two hours later he vomitted. Should I take him to a vet? Is there anything they can even do? Or will he...

View more questions Search