Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhuppertz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Flame throwing
    I have a LP gas, upflow furnace with a standing pilot. I can turn it on, the pilot lights the main burners as normal, the flame is blue like it should be, and the blower comes on like normal after the unit heats a bit. The problem is every 5 minutes it pops a fireball out the front (I now have no hair on my left arm!) but keeps running as normal after that's. This is only during a burn cycle. I cleaned it out just to make sure it wasn't clogged, but the problem didn't go away. I sprayed the gas valve with soapy water as it was on and burning but didn't see any bubbles. It has not tripped the "flame rollout switch" either, which is disconcerting. Needless to say it's off now!
    Thanks,
    Mark
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Dec 27, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Mark are all of the burners firing. One may not be firing and raw gas is pouring out and igniting. When the blower fan comes on do the flames lift off the burners and move or "dance".. A cracked heat exchanger would cause this. This could also cause a burner to go out then dump gas and then ignite it. If you check this be careful so you don't loose more hair or worse. Use safety glasses etc..
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2006, 06:49 PM
    As Pelle said, bad or partly plugged heat exchanger. A dirty or rust burner. A gas leak around the manifold or gas valve. Gas pressure (output).
    mhuppertz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2007, 03:40 PM
    A partially clogged pilot turned out to be the problem, so the furnace would turn on the main burners and it would take a second to light them, all the while a significant amount of gas had built up, causing an explosion when it would light.
    Go figure!
    Thanks,
    Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shih-Tzu Throwing Up Often [ 2 Answers ]

My Three Year old Shih-Tzu seems to be throwing up a yellow saliva like substance every other day. We keep him on a good lean diet, with limited treats. Anyone have an idea what may be the cause of this?

My pup is throwing up [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy started throwing up early this morning and has been consistent all day. She doesn't want to eat or drink much water, what could be wrong with her she is going to the vet tomarrow but I am just trying to figure out what to ask her to look for any help would be greatly appreciated thanks...

Throwing a rubber ball [ 1 Answers ]

A hard rubber ball, released at chest height, falls to the pavement and bounces back to nearly the same height. When it is in contact with the pavement, the lower side of the ball is temporarily flattened. Before this dent in the ball pops out, suppose that its maximum depth is on the order of...

Throwing out Boyfriend in Virginia [ 1 Answers ]

My friend who lives in Virginia wants to throw her boyfriend out of her house. The house is in her and her estranged husbands name. They've been separated for 5 years. The boyfriend doesn't work. The last time she tried to toss him out the sherrifs deputies showed up and told her he was legally a...

Dog throwing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 7 year old female sheltie, she has been throwing up evreything that she eats and Drinks. If she eats something she will throw it up. And samething with water sometimes and it scares me. And when she does it she gags right before. It's a orange yellow looking color! She has been doing...

View more questions Search