Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timothyla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 03:32 PM
    My cats got a swollen eye
    Good afternoon, everyday when I come home my cats greet us at the door. Well today our older cat who is my baby has a swollen eye. When we looked at it doesn't appear to be cloudy or anything to suggest an infection. I'm not quite sure what I should do. I've read that putting warm compress on it may help with the swelling. We think that our other cat and him got in a fight today and he got scratched. It isn't totally out of the realm of possibility because the other cat has been more aggressive as of late since we've been watching my mother in laws dog for the last two days.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO?? :confused :confused:

Thanks for any help!! :)
    animal advocate Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 10:20 PM
    Your cat needs to see a veterinarian immediately! If he has a scratch on his eye it will not heal by itself and your cat could lose his eye or become very ill from an infection. I have worked for vets and I ran an emergency veterinary hospital. I have owned two one eyed cats, both from owners that didn't realize the severity of an eye injury.

Please take him to the vet right away. It will save you money and stress and save your cat much suffering.

Good luck.

For all animals,
    Molly
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Dec 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Like people, cats can bonk their head...

If there appears to be no damage to the eye, I would just give it a couple of days. The swelling should go down on its' own - you don't need a compress or anything. As long as there's no sign of further problems, you probably don't have to worry.

As Molly said above though, the safest thing to do is have a vet look at it. It might be nothing more than just swelling from a bump, however eye problems can escalate quickly, so if the swelling doesn't go down after a couple of days, you should have your vet do a checkup.
    timothyla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Good evening to the those that replied, thank you so much for the advice. Last night when I got home from work I checked Dizzy again because my wife did the fist time and she tends to over react when it comes to her dizbucket. Any ways his eye was a bit swollen but I put a warm compress on it for ten minutes then put artificial tears in the eye. Today he looks good as new with no ill effects. However we are keeping a close eye on it "no pun intended" There is no goop or blood coming out and no cloudiness so I'd say in another day or so we'll know for sure.
    Thanks again and happy holidays
    ~tim
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 21, 2006, 03:46 AM
    This means trouble no matter what way you look at it. You need to get your cat into the vet ASAP. Most commonly what your describing can be a toothroot abcess not a huge deal but requires surgery and dental care to fix. Amongst many tohers is anouther unfortunate but common thing, oral neoplasia, i.e. cancer. It could be a lot of other things but you need a vet to look at it.
    Good luck,
    Please write back and tell me what happens
    Heather

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urgent cats eye turned white [ 3 Answers ]

One of my friends has a cat. The cats has always had mild runny eyes. His mother told him to put some Visine in the cat's eye. I am not sure what kind of Visine he used but I don't believe it was just the salene kind. A few hours or so later the cat's eye turned completely white. The next day...

4wk old kitten , with swollen eye [ 4 Answers ]

I have clue what happened! First off they were seen by the vet at 3 weeks for constipation and got an OK for everything! So last week they weren't sick! I have 2 kitten , 1boy, 1girl! This afternoon, I did everythign as usual got up fed them , put them in the litter box and waited , they went,...

Cats Eye [ 8 Answers ]

This morning my cat was lying in bed with me. I put her out while my husband was taking a shower because she has a fascination with water she actually loves it... After he was done with his shower he went into the living room to leave for work and my kitten came back in the bedroom with me. I...

Swollen vain [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wanted me to find out if this is normal he has a vain on his testical that is swollen and its very dark. Is this normal?

View more questions Search