Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanyamiller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Dog ear infection
    My dog has had this before but it was more severe. It is not as bad as before. She tends to fight me when I try to clean her ear, weather it is infected or not. I was wondering if there is any oral meds I can give her bought over the counter. The vet also mentioned it may be due to allergies, and she does scratch a lot.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Dec 17, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Yes, Tanya - ear infections, specifically yeast ones, are often related to allergies.

I am not aware of any oral meds, and I know just how hard treating them can be. The rescue cairns that come to me from puppymills very frequently have severe long term infections.

You just have to be very very persistent, and I would recommend upgrading your food a notch. I am personally a food snob since I see the results I get in rescue dogs, but even one step up the ladder of quality may solve the problem for your kid.

Best wishes

-Beth
    heathervettechCa Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Dec 19, 2006, 01:37 AM
    No offense to badams but yeast and ear infections are caused by MANY THINGS! And you cannot be sure without having a swab of the ear placed under a microscope to see what type of infection it is. It could be bacterial it could be yeast, it could be both. There is no over the counter cure. My best advice is to see an animal dermatologist. They can nail down the problem quickly and efficiently and not drag you through several costly treasure hunts by your regular veterinarian. They have seen so much of this stuff they will be able to get you a more definative answer and cure to the problem.
    Good luck!
    Heather
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Dec 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
    No offense taken, Heather at all ! Of course, a swab should always be taken or you end up wasting time and money on medications that won't work anyway. I'm always surprised by the number of folks who don't know that not all infections are bacterial.

On the other hand, very few people have access to a canine dermotologist - the cloest one for me is 4 hrs away and I live in NY state !

-Beth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with a liver infection who won't eat [ 11 Answers ]

HELP- my dog has a liver infection- she is on antibiotics- the vet let her come home because she wouldn't eat. Now that she is home she just smells the food and turns away. I gave her ensure with baby rice cereal through a syringe because she wouldn't eat on her own. She now has eaten grass and...

Dog ear wax color [ 4 Answers ]

My lab has just gotten over an ear infection ( been over two weeks). I cleaned his ears with a Q tip just as labman mentioned in a previous post and noticed the wax color was reddish-brown Is this normal color or due to the infection? He had a lot of build up and I don't know if I got it all...

Dog liver infection [ 3 Answers ]

My dog has been diagnosed with an inflamed liver... might be an infection or some kind of toxin reactions... What can anyone tell me about this?

Ear infection [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops. I was wondering if what Labman suggested for cleaning the ears can be done easily or should I have someone show me first then do it on my own. I really would hate to screw up his hearing or balance in case I poke something in the...

Incision Infection in Spayed Dog [ 1 Answers ]

My doxie-terrier pups were spade on Monday and have for the most part been recovering normally. Abby pulled out a couple of stitches Tuesday night, but the vet didn't seem overly concerned about it and assured us that her incision would heal normally. He also gave us Elizabethan collars for both...

View more questions Search