Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beckyswolf7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 02:56 AM
    My dog sucks on blankets how can I stop him he also humps them
    My dog sucks on all types of blankets he also humps them what can I do to make him stop!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2010, 04:13 AM

Has he been neutered?
    Also how old is he and how long has this behaviour been happening?

My mom had a poodle who was a serial sucker, he would mostly suck on toys but he did the occasional blanket.
    To get him to stop the sucking I would suggest getting some bitter sprays from a pet store.
    They smell pleasant to us (apple, citris flavours) but taste horible to a dog.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 07:42 AM

Yes I had a cat that would suck on blankets. The Bitter Ex worked great. You can get this stuff called phooey from Wal mart, I think it's like $3 a bottle and it works great. He does it for a comfort thing (well the sucking anyway). It's not a big deal, kind of like a kid sucking their thumb, it makes them feel secure also helps with boredom, so becareful if you take the sucking away he doesn't resort to chewing! If it's not a big deal in your home, then you could try buying a specific blanket or toy, for your sucky baby :) By chance do you have a doberman, or a sheep dog?
    Anyway here is a good article on how to correct the behaviour if it really bothers you.

Correcting Dogs that Suck and Chew on Fabrics: How to Deal with Fabric Chewing Canines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Washing wool army blankets [ 1 Answers ]

Can you wash wool army blankets in the washing machine? Are there any precautions?

Loading Quilts/Blankets in Washer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone newbie:) here. I just bought an used Whirlpool heavy duty /super capacity 2 speed 7 cycle top load washer. My question is, can I safely wash 1 Quilt (full size) or will it over load washer the manual says nothing about washing blankets & quilts, also would like to know if there is a...

My dog humps people when he's excited. [ 6 Answers ]

My nine month old male yorkie puppy gets so excited that he starts humping peoples legs arms and any other limb he can get ahold of! As well as humping the air when he smell's curtain scents, it's getting to become a big problem, not to mention embarrassing! How do I go about teaching him it's not...

View more questions Search