Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 31, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dejia143 View Post
    I have a chihuahua female myself, who is 7 months, has not came in to heat, and I dont plan on letting my male get her on her first heat.
    Please don't become another backyard breeder. You have already supported an irresponsible breeder, but buying puppies from her, now you are considering becoming one yourself? Please go spend some time at an animal shelter, go meet the dogs whose time is running out. The last thing this world needs is more dogs/puppies. The only time dogs should be bred is to advance the breed, read/reread Shaz's post.
    Your dogs deserve your love and respect, get them spayed and neutered and enjoy them as PETS, not as your income!
    dejia143 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0
    -

Jan 1, 2010, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I will touch it Sariss....

Dogs should NEVER be bred for money.

Dogs should not be bred on their first heat either, no it is not healthy no matter what you try and say.

Coming from a show family I am adamant about only breeding dogs of QUALITY and HEALTH.
    Not just meaning your dog looks cute and you took it to the vet and they said it's a healthy dog.

You need to read the breed standard and make sure your dog is good enough to breed.
    Now I know all you people who don't show will think the breed standard is silly but it is NOT.
    If people didn't follow the breed standard you would end up with Chihuahuas being 15 inches tall and Dachshunds being 10 miles long.
    There is a REASON the breed standard exists, and it isn't just for show dogs.

Next comes health. I can pretty well guarantee you your 'friend' has never health tested any of her dogs.
    Yeah sure she has probably taken them to the vet to see if they are healthy enough to get pregnant and carry the pups to term but that is NOT what health testing is about.

Health testing ensures the PUPPIES are all healthy by genetically testing both parents for problems.
    This involves taking blood to be sent away for testing.

You have to have some understanding of genetics to breed dogs properly and sadly most people don't.
    I even know some show breeders who still can't grasp it.

An example with my breed, the Poodle, is that this breed can get PRA which is blindness.
    There are 3 ratings that a dog can come back with after testing.
    A rating - The dog will never go blind and does not carry the gene.
    B rating - The dog will never go blind but they DO carry the gene.
    C rating - The dog WILL go blind and it WILL pass on the gene.

Now If you breed an A to an A the puppies will all be A
    If you breed an A to a B you will get half a litter of A's and half a litter of B's
    If you breed B to B the whole litter will be B's
    If you breed A to C you will get a whole litter of B's
    If you breed B to C you will get half a litter of B's and half C's

Now the thing with PRA is that the dog doesn't go blind until it is older, usually around the age of 5 or 6 and by this age the dog would have already had several litters.... meaning you could have potentially sold up to a dozen puppies to people who WILL go blind.

Not very fair on the dogs or the new owners is it?
    Lol, I do know this, it is not me that is breeding them, OR dogs that are in their first heat. I am not stupid, I do know all this. Yes, I do have a pup off this lady's dogs, but that doesn't mean I'm breeding him. That also doesn't mean I agree with her whole breeding for gambling money. (but at least she sells them locally, and this is a town of only 4000 or so and most her buyers have more than one from her. She doesn't advertise in papers) The other chi I have is a rescue, I work at a truck stop and a lady driver was giving her away because some a**hole literally threw her out of his truck in a parking lot at 6 months of age. That doesn't mean I'm breeding her. They are both scheduled to be fixed in a couple weeks. I have a scottie/westie mix, neutered, and my female pitbulls are fixed. I do not stud out my males. I do like that I got a good rise out of you, in case you didn't see, I happened upon this site and read posts on a lot of different topics, when I seen this one, I was bored, and like to see what people will say when I say certain things. I said all that to see who would take the bait, haha suckers, lol.
    dejia143 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0
    -

Jan 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teachnk View Post
    Please don't become another backyard breeder. You have already supported an irresponsible breeder, but buying puppies from her, now you are considering becoming one yourself? Please go spend some time at an animal shelter, go meet the dogs whose time is running out. The last thing this world needs is more dogs/puppies. The only time dogs should be bred is to advance the breed, read/reread Shaz's post.
    Your dogs deserve your love and respect, get them spayed and neutered and enjoy them as PETS, not as your income!
    I never said I was breeding them. I live on a farm, I have 10 cats, (all spayed or neutered) 4 pitbulls, 2 males 2 females, (my females are paid and I do not stud out my males) a mix Scottie/Westie (neutered) and if you must know, I had (and still have) an appointment to get the two Chi's fixed. I just really wanted to see everyone's responses. Its nice to see people do care. And yea I may have supported her by buying one from her, But he is very loved here. He is the center of attention everywhere we go. He is 8 months and only 2 lbs. and 9 oz. And, lol, hehehe, I have a jokester spirit, and love to see people get riled up.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dejia143 View Post
    I do like that I got a good rise out of you, in case you didnt see, I happened apon this site and read posts on alot of different topics, when I seen this one, I was bored, and like to see what people will say when I say certain things. I said all that to see who would take the bait, haha suckers, lol.
    So you're a troll?

Name:  dont%20feed%20troll.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  3.7 KB

No soup for you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 06:15 PM
    Admitted troll banned and thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

7 month old Chihuahua with swollen gums. [ 4 Answers ]

So this morning I noticed that my little Chihuahua, Pookie, looked like she had something in her mouth. As usual, I picked her up and looked to see what she had (you'd be surprised at the things she'll try to eat). But problem is she wasn't chewing on anything, and on each side of her gums it kind...

Sick 3 month old chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua barely 2 pounds. He is up to date on his shots and dewormings. However Last Tuesday he had his latest shot and on Thurday had a deworming treatment and has not been right since. He started Vomiting on Friday. Stopped on Saturday and was eating and drinking and acting...

Spaying a 9 month old chihuahua? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 pound chihuahua that was born on October 19th, 2007. She is about 9 months old. We didn't know if spaying her would be a good thing since she is so small. We think she is in heat for the first time. Her genitals are swollen and she is licking a lot. Is 9months normal age for a...

3 month old Teacup Chihuahua will not eat [ 2 Answers ]

My new Teacup Chihuahua won't eat. I've only had him a week and I've been trying to feed him the same combination that the breeder was giving him (Iams puppy food mixed with Mighty Dog Select). The only thing I can get him to take is Nutrical (via a syringe). The breeder told me that I'd need to...

Sick 3 month old teacup chihuahua [ 2 Answers ]

I brought my 3 month old (1.8 pound) chihuahua home 1 week ago from a local pet store. The second day I had him I realized that he was coughing and probably had kennel cough. I took him to the vet immediately and he put him on Zithromax, bene-bac gel, and some pain meds, gave him a shot and said...

View more questions Search