Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matt2dance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2004, 01:48 PM
    German Shepherd
    I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend of mine whom the dog met before and didn't like was there. Lucky had met her once before and during the initial five minute meeting she had tried to play with him roughly. Like pushing him around-at that time he barked at her, letting her know that he wasn't comfortable.
    Yesterday, she came up to him again and jumped around-he barked once again. Note: This isn't his normal behavior. She stopped and I didn't think anything of it. While we were in a group, Lucky was laying down beside me-perfectly content and calm. The girl then proceeded to swoop down behind me and say in a weird voice Hiya Puppy! Well, this scared me, because I didn't see her coming and it did the same to Lucky. Lucky jumped up and was barking loudly and since she was bent down, when he started to bark she jumped up. At this time, either when she moved from him or as he was jumping up he put a small hole in her pants.
    I was upset, because this is not normal behavior for my dog. When she came from behind me-it did scare me, so I can see how it scared him. He has been through all the tests to see how he responds to outside factors i.e. noises and people and passes them with flying colors. Do you think I should be worried about this event or is it accredited to her initial visit of my friend and how she treated him?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2004, 05:46 PM
    Re: German Shepherd
    Yes you have a problem. Society expects a lot of dogs. They must put up with whatever idiocy or meanness they encounter. I think you need to take a very firm stand with your friend to knock it off. Either treat your dog with a little respect or leave it alone.

If she can't manage to do either, she is a loser you may be better off without. People that abuse animals tend to abuse people too. Just the other day I saw something about the humane society joining forces with some child protective agency to better protect both children and animals from the same people.

You are in a lose, lose situation. Fail to warn her, and you are liable for not warning her. Warn her and you admit you knew the dog was dangerous. You may want to check with somebody in the legal area here. They may need to know the state you live in.

I don't know too much you can do with the dog. Careful breeding and early socialization helps, but only so much. The dog is what she is now. Watch the dog carefully. After their first 12 weeks of life, it is difficult to change the personality, although it doesn't completely mature until 3 years old. She may become more fearful and suspicious and consequently aggressive. Many dogs that bite, do so out of fear, fear biting. Make sure the dog understands you are the leader. Make your friend your problem, not the dog's. Unfortunately some dog training programs over use treats and fail to teach the owner their role as top dog. Top dogs are not drill sergeants, just more equal among equals. I was disappointed the last time I look at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. They had more hype and less info than I remembered.
    HandyWoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2004, 12:44 PM
    German Shepherd
    This is an old post but...
    I have a 1 year old male German shepherd dog and based on what I read, your dog's behaviour is perfectly normal. I'd have done the same thing if I were him! German shepherds instinctively are going to protect their "flock" especially if they sense a wolf in their presence. Maybe he's trying to tell you something ;) Personally if my dog liked someone who deliberately tried to antagonize him, I would be worried.

Paula
    matt2dance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2004, 08:00 PM
    German Shepherd
    Thanks for your input ;D it really made my day. I am currently in extensive training with my now two German Shepherds and they both doing well. Also, haven't seen that friend since. My great dog was also a great judge of people. Thanks Again,
    Matt2dance
    ebtahi98 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2005, 12:55 AM
    My 9 m old gsd little son of mine
    My Dog is the best thing that has happened to me in a good while he is so smart and nice -- he has a personality of a human and he treats everyone differently who he knows -- he is nice but you can tell, I started training him when he was only 12 weeks old - I had him pottied in a week with only 3 accidents since -- he grew up around people and kids and other dogs and he loves them all -- he doesn't ever show or present anger or dominance, etc with anyone and anything, I have taught him as many tricks as I can think of - I have him pretty damn good trained (strictly) or at least I think so I will explane my methods and ideas and that is what I would really like some opions on, pointers, advice, alll input will be Tried and attempted, Something also I should include is that he is not your normal come home from work dog -- he is with me almost always with me since I have owned -- an exception to that is that I went away to europe for 5 weeks -- and he was with a friend who I trust, with the friend he was not with him as much as with me also if it might help he was born on Nov 26 -- I got him at 12 weeks, so he just turned 9 months if this will help in any wayso here goes 1-- My dog is very affectionate and when I leave him for more than 40 min then I reenter he goes nots and we do this thing where he lays down and I spend like 5 min with him just petting him and playing now if I stop and I guess he does not agree he will start nipping at me not biting just like touching his teeth to my hand I say no no biting a few times and I close his muzzle with my hand, sometimes I just tap his nose with my pointer finger sometimes he persists sometioms he finishes and does his own thing,, then he comes next to me and like kind of cries and is like wow wow wow then eeeeeiii eeeiiiii sound and If I don't give him attention he starts barking then I say stop sometimes he does it for a little while then goes away sometimes longer,, also sometimes just out of the blue like 5 min after coming in for a walk he does the same routine then it just subsides, I don't know --- 2---- when we go out to PEE and POOP like 7 times a day ( well playing is also included in that he is super finikey with pooping like we come in and he wants to go again but he doesn't --- then maybe 1 hr later sale thing and I say no but he persists we go out and nothing?? I feed him a half a bowl in morn and a full at night he usually poops first @ 230-4pm then like 9-11 pm way after food even though I take him out B4 and after dinner 30 min later?? Another one is pulling he is bad with that but only if I let him roam on the long leash Retractable -- but when ne is close he is mostly good -- sometimes it is very hard for me to pullhim away from something he is smelling _ I repremand I do it all and I pull but he just resists?? Don't know please help me [email protected]
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

The nipping or just putting his teeth on you when you stop petting him is one of the signs he feels he is in charge. Since you didn't mention treats, I would guess you are not over using them. Changing how you relate to him is too much for me to cover in an answer here. You either need to get him into a basic obedience class, or work out of a book. The Art of raising a Puppy and How to be Your dog's Best friend by the Monks of New Skete are both excellent books and would be a big help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

German [ 5 Answers ]

How Do I Say : Hi, How Are You? In German

The german unificaton [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know if the frankfurt parliament was a turning point to the german unification? Thx~!

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German passport [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my name is {name removed}, I am an american citizen living in Australia. I am enquiring on obtaining a German Passport. My mother is a German and my entire family on my mother side live in Germany. I was born in the usa. When I was born my mother was a German citizen she was born in Germany....

German Shepherd Training [ 8 Answers ]

I have a German Shepherd pup who like most German Shepherds is very intelligent. I am in the process of training her and I have run into some problems. It seems she get's a little nervous while working and then get's confused and want's to hide or run in circles with her ears back. She is never...

View more questions Search