Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    podoboo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 08:46 AM
    7 month old Chihuahua with swollen gums.
    So this morning I noticed that my little Chihuahua, Pookie, looked like she had something in her mouth. As usual, I picked her up and looked to see what she had (you'd be surprised at the things she'll try to eat). But problem is she wasn't chewing on anything, and on each side of her gums it kind of looks as if she's cutting three small teeth. And her gums are all swollen up to where her little nose is almost wider than her head. So I guess the question is, Should I take her to a vet this evening, or is this something that just happens sometimes? Pookie doesn't act like it bothers her one bit, she still eats and drinks, and doesn't act sick or anything so what should I do? :confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 08:49 AM

I vote that you take her to the Vet - if her gums are swollen up so much that her nose is almost wider than her head she needs medical treatment.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 07:06 PM

I agree with Judy.

You definitely need to get her to the vet, it could be an infection in her gums or an allergic reaction to something.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do apart from make an appointment.
    podoboo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 08:37 AM
    I called the vet yesterday and the earliest I can get an appointment is Wednesday. All the swelling has gone away today though. My mom came over last night and she noticed that Pookie has one little red bump on the inside of her jaw. So we're guessing that she probably got a hold of a bug in the middle of the night that bit her (probably one of those annoying little sweat bees that the yard here is overrun with). Thanks for the help guys.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:40 AM

I'm glad to hear he has gotten better.

Hopefully the vet can help determine what sort of bug it was that bit him, if it was a bee perhaps pest control is the next port of call?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore....

Sick 3 month old chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua barely 2 pounds. He is up to date on his shots and dewormings. However Last Tuesday he had his latest shot and on Thurday had a deworming treatment and has not been right since. He started Vomiting on Friday. Stopped on Saturday and was eating and drinking and acting...

Spaying a 9 month old chihuahua? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 pound chihuahua that was born on October 19th, 2007. She is about 9 months old. We didn't know if spaying her would be a good thing since she is so small. We think she is in heat for the first time. Her genitals are swollen and she is licking a lot. Is 9months normal age for a...

3 month old Teacup Chihuahua will not eat [ 2 Answers ]

My new Teacup Chihuahua won't eat. I've only had him a week and I've been trying to feed him the same combination that the breeder was giving him (Iams puppy food mixed with Mighty Dog Select). The only thing I can get him to take is Nutrical (via a syringe). The breeder told me that I'd need to...

View more questions Search