Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Baby Mice Please Read
    Hey,
    I was wondering when baby mice can leave their parents.. My friends mouse has had babies and I am taking one of them home with me sometime in the near future. I have owned mice all my life but this is the first time I will have ever had a YOUNG mouse... Their eyes are open (have been for around 3 or 4 days) and they do have fur. I was also wondering how you tell a YOUng mice's sex.. I do not want a male is why I am asking..
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 20, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Mice are usually weaned at about 15- 21 days after birth. As with other animals, it's best to leave them with mama as long as possible, so I generally separated them at around 21 days.

Sexing baby mice is pretty hard sometimes. Describing it in text is even more difficult, but the best advice I can give is this: The distance between the anal opening and the genital opening is closer on females and farther apart on males.

I found a website with pretty good photos to help you visually:
    http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/sexing.cfm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mice! [ 26 Answers ]

Okay folks, I know someone has an answer to this. I am having a problem with mice. They scare the bejezuz out of me. I can handle most anything, but they are fast and they have tails!! :eek: I have a two story house on a slab, all my food is in storage containers, house is always clean. I have...

Mice [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

Mice in ceiling of semi-detached house [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. I am a new owner of a semi-detached house. I have heard very occasional skittering in my living-room ceiling and suspect mice. I have looked both on the outside and inside the house, but can find no obvious entry point. Could the mice be in the walls and/or coming in...

Mice [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best method of getting rid of house mice apart from killing them?

View more questions Search