Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gammaraze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Pit bull needs to gain weight
    My sister has a pitbull, or rather I have my sister's pitbull. (He has lived with me most of his life, but he's still hers.) Anyway, he doesn't have worms, but we can't seem to get him to gain any weight. His ribs are clearly visible, and having looked back at his puppy pictures, have always been visible. We've tried dog foods with high protein, meat products higher up on the ingredient list, wet food, etc. and nothing has changed. I've seen a recipe for "satin balls"... do they work? I WOULD say that I'd never feed him anything I wouldn't eat myself, but dry dog food is probably a bit too hard for my teeth. HAHA but I won't feed him anything raw. What do you suggest?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 03:51 PM

His metabolism suggests he is like that, and no matter what you give him, it isn't going to help. If he is eating his food, drinking his water, pooping and peeing on a regular basis, then don't worry about him. Just let him be.

Regards

Tick
    peterslis Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 04:34 PM

How much are you feeding him, how big is he or she, what is your dogs current weight, and what are you feeding your dog. First a high protein diet isn't always the best, high protein and low fat is usually for dogs that have too much weight, protein burns fat. I have bred these dogs, owned them, trained them, and I know assist with a rescue and work with behavioral management issues. In all honesty, Purina Puppy Chow is a good answer, its high in protein and fat, fatty acids, and Omega 3 & 6. All the right formulas for breaking down the right fats, and storing the right amounts. Pitbulls have a high metabolism, they are sporting dogs that are bred to spend tons of energy. I would suggest do this for a while, until your dogs stacks a bit of weight, it is OK to see the last two ribs (closest to the rear) but a full rack is not good. Feed once a day, then their bodies go into a storage mode, which makes their metabolism release fats and energy at a more even capacity. Try 2.5 cups of puppy chow, 1/2 cup of white rice or jasmine white rice, chicken broth and 1/4 cup of bran flakes, plan, not raisin bran. Do this for two weeks, then depending on his weight and size, remove all the items except the puppy chow, you can keep them on it for at least 3 years, these dogs age differently. Be sure to do this feeding once a day, when you are going to be home after that, then you can let him out to relieve himself properly. I had a Colby-Diabo Male at 85 pounds, he was on 4 cups every day, I started him on the stacking diet and he bulked up quickly, then I maintained his weight with 4 cups a day, if you dog is between 50 to 70 lbs, 3.5 cups a day will maintain.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't do satin balls. Also I would suggest staying away from giving him any type of rice, chicken broth any people foods, Its no better then scraps to a healthy dog that has never had it before. Stick to the basics! Good ol dry dog food. Wellness and diamond are great dog foods. My professor, a veternarian at the U.C medical center always says," The best thing for a dog is water and Dry Dog food. Nothing more nothing less." I currently give my staffy wellness. If your pitbull is not an actual working dog for example actually herding, agility, swimmming etc, then he deosnt need a high protein dog food. Stick with a 24% and you will be good.
    Hope this helps!

May 22, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatdanelover3 View Post
    I wouldnt do satin balls. Also i would suggest staying away from giving him any type of rice, chicken broth any people foods, Its no better then scraps to a healthy dog that has never had it before. Stick to the basics! Good ol dry dog food. Wellness and diamond are great dog foods. My professor, a veternarian at the U.C medical center always says," The best thing for a dog is water and Dry Dog food. Nothing more nothing less." I currently give my staffy wellness. If your pitbull is not an actual working dog for example actually herding, agility, swimmming etc, then he deosnt need a high protein dog food. stick with a 24% and you will be good.
    Hope this helps!
    Rice is commonly used for dogs and cats with upset stomaches, due to the domestication of our pets, their stomaches are already set up to not utilize their natural abilities for remedies. Chicken broth, if boughten (Swans) that is natural is the best for a dog, and entices appetites, and makes a dog at least start forming a eating regimen again, and it helps them start to be hungry again, so they eat... you should never give table scraps, but a broth is a pure alternative and a stimulant for creating healthy appetites... and if you use a pure form, there won't be any salt or sodiums, just protein and fats that are needed get metabolism burning structure back into the diet, and recreating hunger so they will eat, after a couple of feedings they will start eating the dry dog food, and if a owner has made the mistake to feed a dog table scraps it is a great alternative along with rice to break that addiction, and get them back to dry food.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 06:44 AM

I agree with both of you.
    Rice is great for dogs as is chicken broth but you have to have the right types.

You need to get a chicken broth with little or no salt, if you can make your own by boiling up the meat and bones from a carcass is even better! (no cooked bones though!)

Rice should be wholegrain (brown) and it is often used as a filler in popular food brands.

Danelover is right too though, just plain dry is good for them... keeps their teeth clean and you know exactly what to give them because it is pre-made.

I personally give my dogs both wet and dry food... I put a handful of dry in the bottom of their bowls and top up with dog sausage roll.

May 22, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I agree with both of you.
    Rice is great for dogs as is chicken broth but you have to have the right types.

You need to get a chicken broth with little or no salt, if you can make your own by boiling up the meat and bones from a carcass is even better! (no cooked bones though!)

Rice should be wholegrain (brown) and it is often used as a filler in popular food brands.

danelover is right too though, just plain dry is good for them... keeps their teeth clean and you know exactly what to give them because it is pre-made.

I personally give my dogs both wet and dry food... I put a handful of dry in the bottom of their bowls and top up with dog sausage roll.
    White rice is a cheap but remedy for an upset stomach, not a grain... Also, dry dog food is the only way you should be feeding your dogs, but thinks happen, and then you have to correct or address them... people on here are asking for help and remedies, because there is something wrong health wise, although we are not vets, we all have some excellent knowledge and do what works for us...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 08:10 AM

I agree, it's good to have a few different opnions so the OP can decide which one sounds best to their situation, same with training.

We all have different opinions and ways we do things, none of them are wrong it's just which one would fit best into the askers situation.

And yes, no-one here is a vet, we just have lots of experience raising and owning dogs.
    gammaraze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 05:31 AM
    I wish I had a pic so you can see him. He's 2 1/2 years old and about 50 pounds, he's rather tall for a pit but you can see all the ribs. He's definitely not a working dog, or we probably would have done something drastic and probably ruined his health completely. It never pays to be uninformed and experiment. I know about having a high metabolism, I left 8th grade weighing 70 lbs and my sister in 5th grade outweighs that by 50lbs and she's not overweight at all. I just don't want anyone calling the humane society because of his appearance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bull Mastif / Staffordshire Bull Terrier Under Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dog is half Bull Mastiff and Staffordshire Bull Terrier and has a good appetite but it doesn't seem to matter much we feed him he still looks underweight, we've also had him wormed and the vets say that he is in very good shape and that the weight will come. He is 7 months and very big in...

My 2 pitt bull puppies poop too much. They can't hold there weight. [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do. Please help me.

Over weight Pit Bull & friend [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if there is another thread some place that I missed...... I have a 3 yr old spayed pit, she was just to the vet and weighed 80 lbs, shes fat, but I can still see her "outline" aside from her weight she has a horrid gas issue, she chases us out of the room, her playmate is a 113 lb...

What to Feed my Pit Bull to make him gain weight! [ 3 Answers ]

What should I feed my pit Bull to make him gain Weight! I want him to be thick but not over weight! What kind of Healthy Food is High in Protein or what kind of suplements can I give him?:) :rolleyes:

Pit bull weight gain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pitbull puppy that is 5 mouths old. I can't get him to gain any wieght. He is so skinny. ( bony skinny) he eats reg. puppy food ,but still not gaining any weight. What could I feed him to help him bulk up?:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search