Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria_ramirez64 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Puppy shih tzu
    I would like to know, the puppy I would like to get her nose is not develop yet, I'm just scared I may have to drill her nose just so she can breathe. The breeder said the mom is the same way, and her nose is fine. The dad has a big nose and sister already has a nose, the pups are right now are 5 weeks old. Can you help?:confused:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:09 AM

She should have a fully developed nose when she was born. It is a defect and may need surgery to correct it. I suggest you go to the vet asap if the dog is having trouble breathing because of it.
    Edited because I only just read that the puppy is 5 weeks old! Just asking if the breeder sold you a puppy at 5 weeks old? Or haven't you taken the puppy yet?

Mar 4, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Are they really hard shih tzu to potty train. And how often do you take them out. And for how long and what is the best food to give them as puppy, so they don't have diarrhea?
    This is my first pup and I just want to do it right. I already love her so much that I can smell her. But than I don't want pee and poo all over my house.:)
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:15 AM
    I think you need to sort out the health issues before you start thinking about that. Get the puppy vet checked before you take it home.
    And I probably can't help you with food brands as I think we would have different ones here in Australia.

Mar 4, 2009, 07:15 AM

I won't get the pup until mar 14 she'll then be 7 weeks, I mean you can see opening in her nose there is just no cartilage like her sister.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:16 AM
    You are confusing me... why did you disagree with my original post? I know it's a shih tzu
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:19 AM
    It is actually illegal to sell puppies younger than 8 weeks old.
    Although shih tzus are prone to breathing problems I would still get it checked out by a vet.

Go to this site: it is all about shih tzu puppies development and the stages of growth
    How A Shih Tzu Puppy Grows

Mar 4, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    You are confusing me... why did you disagree with my original post? I know it's a shih tzu
    I'm sorry I didn't realize that was your name.:rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Lol that's all right then :)
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 4, 2009, 07:32 AM

I think the breathing problem you are describing is called stentotic nares. If you look at the other pups, they have round nostrils, and this one probably has more vertical slits. The little extra flaps of tissue sort of act like a one-way valve, and they try to shut when the pup breathes in. They can generally breathe out fine. It is not uncommon in a lot of the "push-face" dogs and is fairly easily corrected with surgery. It is probably genetic and I would certainly not consider breeding this dog.
    See if the breeder will let you take her to the vet for a pre-purchase exam--and be very wary of a breeder who won't agree to this!

Mar 4, 2009, 07:39 AM

Stentotci nares? Her sister nose is black, put the other has no blackness but u can see the opening of her nose. Is that still concerned stentotci nares?

Also is 7 weeks to early to release from mom?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:43 AM
    You really should wait until 8 weeks old to take the pup.
    The color of the nose is irrelevant, that is just the pigment, some dogs have pink noses when they are born and turn black as they get older, others will have pink spots.

Mar 4, 2009, 07:48 AM

Pink spots? There is no nose, except holes? Is that stentotic nares?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 07:54 AM

This is off the 'how a shih tzu puppy grows' site... this puppy is 28 days old its nose should look like this ones. You will probably have to get Carol back for a technical explanation!

And thisis a picture of stenotic nares (this picture was too big to post)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...es_before1.jpg

Mar 4, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Thanks for that pic, that is exactly how the other pup looks like but not the other I'm interested in her nose looks nothing like that. So that is a defect right?:confused:

Mar 4, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_ramirez64 View Post
    thanks for that pic, that is exactly how the other pup looks like but not the other im interested in her nose looks nothing like that. So that is a defect right?:confused:
    This is a awesome site and you have help out tremendously. Thank you:)
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 08:31 AM
    I would say it is yes. But in saying that the puppy might be fine and grow up perfectly happy or it could need corrective surgery. There is no way to say exactly what is wrong with the puppy without seeing a photo or anything. The only way you are really going to know is with a vet check. Sorry I can't help you out more...

Mar 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
    She should have a fully developed nose when she was born. It is a defect and may need surgery to correct it. I suggest you go to the vet asap if the dog is having trouble breathing because of it.
    edited because I only just read that the puppy is 5 weeks old! Just asking if the breeder sold you a puppy at 5 weeks old? or haven't you taken the puppy yet?
    No I have not purchased the pup

Mar 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_ramirez64 View Post
    Stentotci nares? her sister nose is black, put the other has no blackness but u can see the opening of her nose. Is that still concerned stentotci nares?

Also is 7 weeks to early to release from mom?
    Thanks for answering

Mar 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
    You really should wait until 8 weeks old to take the pup.
    The color of the nose is irrelevant, that is just the pigment, some dogs have pink noses when they are born and turn black as they get older, others will have pink spots.
    You have answered my questions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Shih Poo puppy won't eat? Any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my son a 7 week old Shih Poo puppy for Christmas. The problem is he hasn't eaten at all. He (after 4 days) ate a couple of bites of wet puppy food, but hasn't eaten since. I was told by the Vets office that he won't starve himself, but he seems very weak to me. Im very worried! Ive...

How to take care of a shih tzu puppy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a 3 months old shih tzu (I named it ficco) and He doesn't want to be put in the crate so I just let him in a small room with papers on every corners. The problem is.. is it okay if I leave him in that room from 7am-3pm? Because I'm in college. Though I have a maid who only gives...

Shih tzu puppy yapping problem [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! I have a 2 1/2 month old mixed breed puppy and 1 month old shih tzu who yaps every time that it gets on my nerves! I never had this kind of problem with my other puppy. And also, when they play, my shih tzu yaps and barks at my other puppy like they are fighting and would not stop...

Shih Tzu Puppy Throwing Up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5+ month old shih tzu puppy. He has been throwing up about every other morning since last week. (Including today, has thrown up two days in a row since he also did yesterday.) Very odd. He is still eating, pooping/peeing regularly. Everything looks good. He had been on muscle...

Puppy shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy who is four months old, just started licking a tearing up her puppy pads and if she misses the pad and it gets pee pee on the floor she is licking it up. This is strange and she just started doing this:( :( :confused:

View more questions Search