Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etl111481 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Trouble with my Red Heeler
    I have a Red Heeler that is 2 years old and has been getting into lots of trouble and is becoming problematic. When my wife and I got Red when my wife was not working so she was spending a good amount of time with the dog during the day providing adequate exercise for the dogs needs. My wife has had to go back to work so the dog is having to spend most of the day in the garage, we do not get home till late and can only exercise the dog for a short period and due to where we live I cannot late her out unsupervised because there are other dogs and small children around. I have seen her try to herd the children which worries me and we have been trying to put a stop to. I have seen her running at the children but have been able to call her back before she cause any trouble or hurts the kids. We do have another older that she gets along fine with and does not fight at all with but he wants nothing to do with her so she does not have any play mates when we are at work. Red is a really good dog and smart dog she knows the basic commands but I am truly worried that things are only going to get worse and Red might end up attacking another dog or biting a person. Please if any one has suggestions on how to handle this please let me know. My wife is also extremely attached to the dog and became hysterical when I mentioned taking the dog to the pound.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 10:08 AM

I know of this breed, they are also called Australian Cattle dog and of course, their instinct is to herd. That's why she is trying to herd the children. You won't be able to stop her of this trait, it is inherent.

Any working dog, such as this one, needs a lot of exercise and open spaces. So it is a shame she/he has to spend the entire day in the garage.

I don't know what your question is really other then the dog is not suitable for your family at the present. Can you not find a better home for a dog such as this, say in the country ? The pound is not the answer, he./she is already two years old. How did you acquire this dog and did you know that they are a working breed?

Ms tickle
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 11, 2009, 10:49 PM

Although I completely understand your wife's attachement to your dog, and it would break my heart to watch you have to give her up, I'm sorry to say that this is probably going to be in your baby's best interests.

She is miserable spending time in the garage all day, and not getting the exercise she needs. She is a working dog, and needs to follow her natural inherant instincts. This must be debilitating for her to sit all day with no activity, and nothing to work her mind. She may as well be sitting in a cage. It is like a big fish being taken out of the ocean, and being put in a tiny fish bowl. The garage is your dogs fish bowl, and it is only going to phychologically damage her.

I don't wonder WHY she is trying to herd chickens, or WHY she is starting to get aggressive towards children. I wonder why NOT? She needs to let her energy out on something! I have no doubt you love this dog, but do you love her enough to let her LIVE?

I would try and give you some suggestions that 'might' work, to try and train her not to do what she is doing, but realistically, it doesn't sound like you have enough time in your lives to do it.

Please---please, don't just take her to the shelter. I have no doubt she will spend her last days there. Have you got any family members or friends of friends that could possibly take her, and give her the exercise and attention she craves? Do you know anyone who knows anyone who has a farm, or someplace where she has room to roam and has the much needed attention?

Dogs can get depressed, just like we do. Their only outlet is to be destructive, and that can come in many forms. They may chew the couch---or they may attack a child or other animals, and I'm sure you don't want either. Please exhaust all avenues before resulting to the dog pound. She will almost surely die there.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

16 week Blue Heeler - Training [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! We had our Female Blue Heeler for 3 weeks now and she hates her crate, would not stop barking, and the past two days now she has pooped in it in the middle of the night. We were doing really well with her being housebroken and going outside and the past two days she went back to...

How do I Train My red heeler dog? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a pure bred red heeler, about 2yrs old. She is De-sexed. She's always jumping on people, and chew everything... she is not aggressive and licks everyone... How do I get her to stop jumping on people? And the other basic training things?

Fearful Heeler towards my Boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

We have adopted a Blue Heeler Mix from the local humane society. She was picked up with her sister when they were about 3 months old and she spent 2 months at the kennel.She is approximately 6 months old and has adapted to me very well. My boyfriend, on the other hand, she has not taken to. She...

Heeler biting Labs [ 3 Answers ]

From an email: ''My husband is going to give my dog away and I am frantic. My Heeler, Chico, bites his labs on the ankles and draws blood. He does this Constantly no matter what we do to correct him. Even the shock collar Didn't phase him. Chico is 1 1/2 years. His basic training went...

Blue heeler mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have mixed breed male and female puppies (1 each) and think that their temperament is primarily blue heeler. Any training tricks (I've seen the NO negative training)?

View more questions Search