Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMILLER Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 04:35 PM
    My skinny Rottweiler
    Hi. My is a pure bred. She is 5 years old and was diagnosed with Addison's decease when she was 4 months old. She currently weighs 45 lbs. She has a healthy appetite when it comes to human food and wet dog food. However when it comes to he regular dry dog food she will barely touch it. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do to increase her weight? Thanks in advance.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Try mixing the dry and wet dog food together. Have you tried that.. there are a few weight gain dog foods out now too have you tried any of those?
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 10, 2006, 12:18 PM
    My suggestion is stop feeding her the human food. Not only is it not healthy for her, but it will keep her from eating her own food.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Here are some more options I've used.. don't give them in large ammounts but they will help with weight gain...

Eggs (raw or cooked)
    Peanut butter
    Chicken (raw or cooked) {NO Bones}
    Plain yogurt (mediterranian style has a high fat content)
    Cheese
    Nutrical
    You can put these on top of his normal food, you can put them in ice cube trays and freeze them
    The other option I've used for weight gain with my friends rottweiler were Satin Balls
    This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program. It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny. This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
    1 jar wheat germ
    1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    10 eggs
    10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
    1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
    A pinch of salt
    1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
    (You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf... put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.
    The only thing I didn't like about the recipie is the sugar in the total cereal so if you think the same way I do then here is the recipie for a weight gain suppliment called fat balls... I know the names sound funny but they do usually work

1 lb ground beef
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 jar all natural peanut butter
    1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ
    1 doz egg yolks
    1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream
    Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

I had success with bolth types using them to help a rottweiler and boxer to gain weight I hope I have helped you. Good luck

Aug 16, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Thank you so much for that advise. Since my post I have added natural peanut butter to her food and she likes it. I have noticed a slight filling out in her waist. I will certainly use the advise you gave. Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Not a problem kmiller. Glad it is helping. I wish you and your wonderful dog a happy life together

Aug 17, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Right back at you. Now I have to figure out a way to stop my pomerainian from stealing food out of my rotty's bowl. Take care.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 03:49 AM
    Hey.. I can help with that too lol... all you do is put your rottweilers bowl higher up then your pomerainian's.. you can buy or make stands that hold 2bowls higher above the ground...

Aug 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
    There are higher. Oliver (the pom) get s as high as he can to get at the food. He has learnt to pull himself up as though he is doing chin ups.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Wow.. then other the feeding them in different rooms I have no clue. sorry :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My chihuahua is too skinny [ 3 Answers ]

Mi oldest chihuahua looks to skinny. When she's laying down and rolls in a ball to sleep like any other dog, you can see every bone in her spine popping up. I see her eat here and there, but it's hard to keep track of how much she actually eats, because I have three chihuahuas. She is very...

Help my cat is really skinny! [ 5 Answers ]

Please help my cat had ran away for about a month and now does not eat anything or want to drink water. I been giving her wet food mashed up in a squirt bottle to try and get her some nutrition. She even spits that out but I'm sure she gets a little of it. Does anyone know what I should feed her or...

My chihuahua is skinny [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old, very precious, chihuahua named Taz, he is my world.. but I do have a concern though, he seems to be awfully skinny, I mean, you can see the outline of his ribs. I've tried every dog food on the market available to me, from very cheap to very expensive, I don't care what it...

Lab looking skinny [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old black lab "Tiko", my wife has been off for the last week and he has been getting a little more exercise than normal. He is looking a little skinny and I was wondering if we should feed him a little more. My only problem is that she will be going back to work and I don't want to...

Skinny Girl... Big Guys! [ 5 Answers ]

My friend, Jake, is big and "I luv big guys" it's something that runs on in my family the "Girls luv big guys" I only like them because I feel safe when they hug me and they're always warm.. but I'm skinny but I'm about average I'm not too... skinny but... Is it not normal for a skinny girl to...

View more questions Search