Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tashamarie80 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Dec 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Weird ? About my dogs "privates"
    Hi everyone, I have a Malamute/Siberian Husky mix. He already has hip dysplasia (was born with it) and is 2 1/2 years old. Due to his Hip Dysplasia we have been doing massages on his legs, hips, butt area forever, even actually before we knew he had it because he would literally back up to us and look at us saying Please!! Well today I was rubbing his thighs with him standing and happened to notice there are 2 large lumps on each side of his penis, more towards the back. He is not neutered but these were not his testicles, they were forward from them. I had him lay down and did not feel them, and now later I did not feel them again when rubbing him down. I have never ever noticed this before and I have given him thousands of massages. Is this something that happens if he has to pee badly? Or for any other reason? Or is this something I need to talk to his vet about?

Tasha and Loki
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:30 PM

I never experienced that with my dogs. It never hurts to put a call in to your vet to ask a question. Best of luck

Dec 8, 2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks. I am taking him to the vet probably next week anyway for his shots again. We actually visit his vet quite often. I should say he is also on meds. Rimadyl and Glucosamine with Chondroiten. The Gluc is several pills everyday but the Rimadyl is only as needed (have gone down from 1 every other day to maybe 1 or to a week, for his bad days so it is not so damaging to his liver). I just figure if this were something normal I would have noticed it before as they were hard to miss (with my fingers flat on his inner thigh the lumps were touching my hand)
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:46 PM

One of my dogs is on those meds. Was it the docs recommendation to use rimadyl only when needed? We use it as once a day as she is having diffuclty. We are afraid to give it as needed since we do not wish for her arthritis to get worse!

Dec 8, 2008, 08:55 PM

The rimadyl is not going to prevent the arthritis from getting worse, it is like Ibuprofen or aleve. The vet and I discussed the use of this med, and yes it was his idea that at first we start giving 1 every other day for awhile and then as needed. We reached this decision because the vet did not want to medicate any more than necessary because of Loki's young age. If you are looking to try to stop the progression of the arthritis ask your vet about a shot that they use for horses... Cannot remember what it is called unfortunately. But basically it is like a cortisone injection for our joints, replaces the fluid. Our vet mentioned this to us but was not thrilled about it as it is for horses, so we decided to try pain management and see where we are in about February. I know of other friends of mine who have an older hunting dog, they give her the rimadyl only during hunting season.
    The med itself has seemed to be quite controversial, leading to death in some cases. But for mine and my friends dog so far it makes them act like puppies and enjoy their life and I will take a shorter happier life for my baby over a longer more painful one.
    The vet also said I can give 2 pills a day for really bad days, but not recommended to do that regularly. Always give the meds as your vet directed.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Dec 8, 2008, 09:41 PM

My Llasa had those lumps you are talking about. They only appeared in certain positions when he was on his back. I asked my vet about it one time and she laughed a little and said I didn't need to worry about it. I used to be one to go to the vet for every new thing I noticed. He lived 15 happy years, and they never changed, just appeared sometimes - then I wouldn't see them for months. :)
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 4, 2009, 10:38 PM

I don't know what it is but I had two male dogs that did that before. I noticed it when we were training. It would come and go. One was neutered and the other was not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I saw "spirit/ghost".. weird feeling! [ 2 Answers ]

I posted another thread titled.. My house is haunted.. But I wanted to share what happened to me almost 5 years ago at my dads house. My mom had passed away 10 days before xmas almost 5 years ago. I went to visit my dad about 2 weeks after she died. I was sitting at his kitchen table talking on the...

"morning after" pill for dogs [ 3 Answers ]

I know this is a strange question, but does anyone know if there is a treatment (whether by pill or shot) to prevent a pregnancy that may have occurred? I have a pure bred dog and she just went into heat last night. I wasn't sure if she looked swollen or not last night, so I didn't want to board...

"Morning after" pill for dogs? [ 1 Answers ]

We THOUGHT we took all the necessary precautions to keep our 1 1/2 year old purebred Weimaraner from being bred... needless to say the Sheltie found its way out of a 6' privacy fence and she found her way out of the kennel on the other side of the house. I came home to them being tied in the...

View more questions Search