Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maree Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Great Dane owners...
    I always wanted to have a Great Dane. But need to know how they interact with children. We have 3 small children at home ages 4, 6 and 8. I was concerned that if we adopted a small breed dog, that one of the kids might accidentally hurt it by falling on it. I've heard that the Danes have great dispositions although their life expectancy is rather short. If there are any owners out there of these wonderful animals, who also have young children at home, can you please drop me a line with some more info. Thanks a bunch!
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 1, 2006, 10:34 PM
    Get a pit bull, they are much smarter and much more loyal and LOVE children. They will live much longer also. They are very tolerant also. Not too big not too small, the perfect dog! Hint hint lol. ;) hehe

Especially one raised by an animal lover and vet tech with the best care :cough:
    MINIZNTWNZ Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennapbt
    Get a pit bull, they are much smarter and much more loyal and LOVE children. They will live much longer also. They are very tolerant also. Not too big not too small, the perfect dog! Hint hint lol. ;) hehe

Especially one raised by an animal lover and vet tech with the best care :cough:

Sorry for a delayed response, as I came to this site today looking for information also... and found your question regarding great danes...

As I am not an opposer of pitbulls, I also prefer danes over pitbulls.
    As a child we had many different breeds of dogs and I was able to have many wonderful experiences.
    Also, I worked as a dog groomer for about a year and was able to experience MANY breeds of dogs.

I support danes however, not because I want to sell you a puppy, but because I
    LOVE my dane to DEATH!!

FIRST- be aware that a dog is for life! Regardless of how long it may be...
    The biggest mistake people make is that they buy a dane with out knowing
    Anything about them... ever heard measure twice, cut once?.
    Apply it to danes... all dogs for that matter...
    Do your homework before getting one, if you have ANY hesitations about getting one,
    Then choose something else!!

My husband surprised me with my dane when I was 6 & 1/2 months pregnant with twins!
    It helped that she was a puppy, and was raised with our boys,
    But I have NEVER seen ANY negative emotion, disposition, attitude or anything from her.
    Danes are wonderful with children.
    She has experienced kids from birth to 90 years old and never once have I had
    To worry about her being aggressive towards children.
    The only thing you have to be aware of is, druel, is greusome amounts...
    And big heavy feet... and a really hard waggily tail... right at small child height... lol

While danes are wonderful animals, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
    I have spent countless hours online looking for information on danes and my girl just turned 4... I am always learning more...

Be aware of health risks... the needs of the breed... everything...
    And no matter what animal you have... get it spayed/neutered if you're not a breeder...
    I've never been a big advocate of altering animals if unnecessary...
    But I have found that it is easier on the animal, the family, the wallet, and most of all it
    Prevents a lot of health complications when the pet is old...

Hopefully I am not too late to help with your choice...
    Or the information will still help you with whatever choicce you have already made.

Cheers.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
    How well any dog does with things like children depends more on its early socialization than what breed it is. I tend to agree that small dogs are just too fragile for around small children. Bring any puppy into a house full of children at 7-8 weeks, and it will do fine with them.

A puppy and some small children can be a handful. One more reason to look at adopting an older dog. Check www.petfinders.org, or http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.
    MINIZNTWNZ Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2006, 04:45 PM
    I agree, I would be more concerned about what an inexperienced child could
    Do (mostly accidently) to a small puppy, than what a dog would do to a chilld.

Older dogs with child experience are a good idea, except that you are getting someone
    Else's pre-disposed regulatory behavior.
    8 out of 10 times, you will be fine, but you are taking a bigger chance than
    If you raise one from a pup and it learns your family's needs.

If you don't have the time for a pup, an older dog, like a lab or shepherd
    Or spaniel is a good dog for kids. Medium sized and easy to teach as an older pet.
    If you decide to implement a puppy later, the older dog will assist you in teaching
    The puppy where it's place is and good (or bad) manners.
    courtni Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Do not get a Great Dane. At least not yet. We received our Great Dane from a woman who had to get rid of him because he constantly hurt her 3 year old. He did not know how large he was. Great Danes are not bad with kids, its just their size is overwhelming to younger children.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 20, 2008, 06:36 PM
    I suggest before you get any dog of any breed that you really think out your family and your lifestyle. First of all do you have time for a puppy? Second thing is to think out what kind of lifestyle you have. If you and your family enjoy lots of walks and other energy consuming activities, then you will want a dog that can keep up to pace. On the other hand, if you have a laid back lifestyle, then you are not going to want a high energy breed such as huskies, border collies, and jack russel terriers. Next, is the dog going to be inside or primarily outside? Some breeds such as french bulldogs and pugs overheat easily and are not suited for outside life. Next question is can you afford to feed and keep up with the ongoing expenses of owning a dog, especially a large breed. Some breeds are prone to health problems and can build up a hefty vet bill. A mixed breed dog, however, is much less likely to contract many pure breed problems. With a large breed dog, are you going to be able to assume the responsibility of walking him/her? Any large breed would be far too overpowering for a child to walk or control. There are many other things you have to think out before making a commitment. Don't make a rash or impulse decision! Only you can decide what you should or shouldn't adopt.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Also keep in mind that costs increase with size. For example, instead of $30 for a crate, you are looking at over $100. Same thing for beds, food, etc. Just something to consider.
    chopperxv Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
    I have a great dane, since he was a baby and he is now 3 yrs old. I have 4 children, now 10/8/6/3. great danes are gentle giants and when you raise them from babies around children they will grow up with your kids and love your children and your family unconditionally. Great danes are more of "human protectors" rather than your average dog who is a "property protector". They are very close and intimate with their humans and will have nothing but love to give. Great danes will watch over you and your children like their own and will not do anything to harm them as long as they were all raised together. Raising a great dane is a big responsibility. You must consider all your angles first before raising a dane. They are the gentle giants, literally. Good luck!
    missluvyduby Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 11:43 AM
    I have a very large great dane and a 3 year old son. They are the best of friends. When we first got him, he did tend to run my son over from time to time because as you know they don't realize that they are huge. But with a little guidance and scholding after a few months we didn't have to worry about it. He no longer knocks him down and is extremely protective of my son as well a very loyal. I can't even tickle him too much cause when he wines or screams my dog will nibble who ever is causing my son to do so. My 3 year old even can make him "save" him on command lol lol. I would definalety say a great dane is good with kids :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane excessive whining [ 7 Answers ]

Our great dane has been whining all day. We can't figure out what she wants? But something is definitely wrong. She pace the room whining and no matter how much attention we give her, nothing helps. Yet she will play with her toy like everything is fine. In fact, her toy is almost a comfort to her...

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

Great Dane not eating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old Great Dane . He has decided not to eat for three days in a row but will take people food He had some odd symptoms before the eating problem. He had blood in his urine (clotty but otherwise clear too normal color) and he has suddenly developed a diareah problem :( which he...

Great dane in heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a female great dane that is just nine months old. She is my first female dog of any kind, and just went into heat for the first time starting yesterday. I was wondering how long it lasts and how often it happens. I bought her a doggie diaper and absorbent pads which she willingly wears in...

Great dane gone crazy [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 great danes and a beagle. We have had absolutely no problems until last night my male dane saw my 12 yr. old and 8 yr. old children wrestling, when my son (8 yr. old) walked away the dog grabbed his arm and shook it like a lion with it's prey. My son was wearing a thick jacket (thank...

View more questions Search