Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raeious Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 03:23 AM
    Help! My Puppy Eats Her Own Teeth
    My smooth fox terrier mix is eating her teeth!! Help help help :eek:
    She just started teething about almost a month ago now...
    And I asked my friends for help and they said it "could" be a good thing..
    Because teeth is a bone bone has calcium and so on...
    But I'm getting really worried..
    One of her tooth was getting a little dark, and I took a nap and woke up its not there!!
    I have seen her eat 2 of her teeth before, and I tried to stop her but she just swallows it...
    Ahhh man... help...
    Is this healthy?!
    Would eating her own teeth cause health problems??

Someone please help.
    Thank you
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Hi,
    Your best source of help is your Vet. Have you called him/her??
    Teeth will not dissolved in the stomach and intestines. Hopefully, they will pass right on through.
    Please take it to a Vet; they will know what to do.
    Best of luck.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 11, 2006, 07:59 AM
    All puppies run the risk of swallowed teeth, in fact so do humans (I did once as a kid eating an apple). Although a dog's digestive system in the wild is no doubt geared to handle swallowed bone fragments, I don't know if I would feel at ease about a puppy who makes a habit of swallowing teeth like you suggest? Its hard to tell from here if you are overreacting to something ordinary or if some odd thing is really occurring. If your puppy has not seen a vet, like Fred said, you need to do that regardless of the teething issue. If you have, then I would not be concerned unless something else occurs. Be sure to provide lots of good chew toys for your puppy. I even put some in the freezer to make them cold and my lab pup loved that when she was teething. Thanks for posting and good luck.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
    http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/

There are many sites on the net full of information for pet owners. The one I included here is one of my favorites.
    Check it out to further educate or refresh you on how great it can be to have one.

As far as the teething issue, this will soon be over. All four-legged babies go through teething just like we humans do. If you really are concerned about it though, check the stools to see if they are passed easily or if there is a little bleeding - then as stated on previous posts, check with your vet to get reassurance.

Enjoy your 'family member'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is too thin and eats very little [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too...

Puppy eats everything on trips outside [ 6 Answers ]

My 8 week old puppy eats everything of interest when she's outside on a leash. I mean everything. Leaves, grass, weeds, mulch, stones from the driveway, etc. What to do? She's in a harness and about the only way to prevent her from eating all this stuff is to hold the leash tightly so she can't put...

Puppy Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know much about dog dental care, however I do brush my puppys teeth regularly. I have two maltese's and ones 10 months and the others 9 months. The older one lost all her baby teeth, however the 9 month old has the two front top, the two front bottom, and I think one of the bigger ones in...

Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 7 years old . Her front teeth has fallen out naturally at the age of 4 years, but the new teeth is not coming out still. Is there any problem with her teeth or should I wait for some more time.

View more questions Search