Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pomerani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Problem with neutered dog
    Hi, my dog just got neutered. One day after the surgery, I noticed that he had blood in his urine. Its not a lot of blood, just a little. Is there something wrong with him? Other than the blood in the urine, everythings seems fine. Please help.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 13, 2006, 03:27 AM
    This is normal for the first couple of days Post op.. Just make sure he doesn't run or jump or be too overly active to tear out his sutures.. and try to keep him from licking down there as much as possible. They can lick the stitches right out.. keep an eye out for any white or greenish colored drainage. This is puss from infection and needs to be taken back to the vet immediately
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2006, 06:14 AM
    HI,
    I agree with your previous answer.
    Some Vets will keep the dog until the sutures are ready to come out, so they won't be getting overly exercised. Others let them go home the day after, or sometimes, the same day, late.
    Just keep an eye on it, and if you have any questions, I am sure the Vet wouldn't mind you calling him/her. Best of luck, and you did the right thing having it neutered. It will be calmed down some, and not be as aggressive as those who have not been. Also, when you take it out, other dogs will know it's neutered, and will be much more "friendly" toward it.
    pomerani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 01:25 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. It really helps. Just to update, he doesn't have any blood in his urine now. :)
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pomerani
    Hi,
    Thanks for the response. It really helps. Just to update, he doesn't have any blood in his urine now. :)
    Good to hear! And I personally would like to thank you also for getting him neutered.

"Don't delay, spay today! Dogs are cuter when you neuter! Help prevent 100,000 unwanted pet deaths per year"
    ( this is a bumper sticker I made)
    Roxy0330 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Did your dog cry when trying to pee as well? I just got mine neutered and he was fine went pee twice now (about 8hrs post op) he is whining when he squats to pee, then rolls on his side as he continues to whine. It doesn't look like a stich ripped but noticed a drop of blood on the end of his penis.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 09:02 AM

With all the dogs that Ive had neutered, never once was there blood in the urine... You should take him back to the vet and ask and have them examine the incision. What if it is internal bleeding? I have had that happen to me... Two days after surgery,dog fell over dead in the backyard of his new owners... The necropsy showed the incision wasn't closed properly and the dog bled to death.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Just realized this was an extremely old post... Sorry
    Roxy0330 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Thank you! I have made him an appointment to get checked out.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 06:11 PM

I would go in.
    There shouldn't be blood in their urine after a castration, the surgery doesn't touch the ureters or urethra.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

My neutered dog is mating! [ 2 Answers ]

Holy cow, what a week with the animals. A few months ago I took in a little stray, wild dog who was abandoned when her former "owners" (ha ha) moved away. She's come into heat. Yesterday I go outside to find my male NEUTERED dog tied to her. Today, same thing. My vet assures me he's shooting...

Puppy neutered... a few ?'s [ 2 Answers ]

my 7 month old mini doxie got neurtered today and i just picked him up....hes a little shaky, is this nervousness or soreness or not normal? hes bin licking his stitches a little too...how much is too much? wat should i do if he is licking too much?? thanks and ill let u kno if i have any more ?'s...

Dog Neutered [ 3 Answers ]

Our black lab Tiko has just come back from the vet after staying overnight after his surgery... he is doing fine... a little groggy and sore but no other issues... the vet did recommend to limit his activities to on leash walking for a few days... My question is now that he is neutered will we be...

Dog getting neutered [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, we are getting our 8 month old lab neutered on Thursday. He will be staying overnight at the vet. Couple questions that I had: What should we expect behaviour wise when we get him back? Should we be prepared for any abnormalities? We have noticed in the last day that he is trying to...

View more questions Search