Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dartist Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Reverting pit bull
    I have a three month old pitbull. Don't laugh but I have two chihuahuas female that are potty trained well. When I brought Chino home, the Pit, peed in the house twice. After that he started going outside as trained. We were very pleased and proud. I brought him home when he was six weeks old. He is now three months and the past two to three weeks he has been going in the house. I don't understand how he can unlearn what he was taught. Puppy pads worked for none of the dogs. What in the world is going on. I need a concrete thing here. Please can anyone give me any insight?:confused:
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 25, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Okay, it is very uncommon for a puppy at 6 wks(TOO YOUNG) to be fully housetrained by 3 months, but if you say your puppy was lets look at two possibilities.
    1.) Urinary tract infection-Go to the vet to make sure this isn't it.
    2.) Forgot the lessons-kids don't go to school for a month and learn the alphabet, it's a process.
    How do you know he hasn't gone in the house before? If you have tile floor or hardwood I guess you would know, but what about carpet? I would get a black light and check for past urinary staining.
    Did you crate train? That is really the best way to housetrain. How did you housetrain initially?
    I tell all our clients if they think their puppy is fully trained by that age "Just wait," they were lucky.
    Your pup is growing and needs more food/water. Is he drinking and eating more and just unable to hold it like before?

All and all-go back to basics. Get him vet checked and start training again.
    Just some thoughts. Good Luck
    dartist Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 04:27 AM
    thanks for the prompt answer. When my wife and I are at work we keep the dogs in crates. When she comes home for lunch she lets them out to eat and then takes them out to go do the do. That has worked great. It is when I get home, I get home after her, that this transpires. It seems that it doesn't even happen a little after he eats. It just comes at random times. He will be laying down and suddenly just start peeing while he walks. We have taken him to the vet numerous occasions. He has had all four parvo shots, rabies, etc. We keep them on a strict schedule with recommended apts with banfield. I guess it's just to early to see complete results.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Sounds like a typical pup to me!! Running around and them stops "Oh I have to pee" and he just goes. Really that is what puppies do! Try "tethering" him, a technique that assists you in recognizing the signs and enable you to correct the problem prior to or when the urination happens.

Tethering is only appropriate when you are at home keeping an eye on your puppy, and you are only out-of-sight for short periods. A tether can also be used to attach your puppy to your belt when you are busy so that he does not sneak away to eliminate or chew on something dangerous. Never leave your pet tethered, indoors or out, when you are away from home.

Another option is to place a long, light line on your puppy’s body harness or collar (make sure it can't choke) and allow it to drag behind the puppy so that you can grab or step on it to keep him from sneaking off – or to stop undesirable behavior, such as chewing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Ban [ 56 Answers ]

What counties ban Pit Bulls in the State of Florida? Thanks for answering.:)

Pit Bull [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1yr old and she just went into heat about 4months ago and is already in heat again is it safe to start breeding her or should I wait. Also can I buy the shots for the puppies some where because the pet store does not sell it and the needles to do so. And is there any spacific diet I should...

Bull Dog [ 12 Answers ]

My Bull Dog has little pea size bumps all over her. Any one no what this could be is it common in Bull Breed? She also has cherry eye any one familure with this? My daughter brought her home from the barn where we board our horse, She was abussed and neglected.

Pit Bull Ban [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where...

New Pit Bull won't eat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I just rescued a beautiful Brindle Pit Bull. He is about 2 yrs old. I brought him home last night, he didn't eat then I thought because he was new to our family. He had been mistreated. Today he fits in like he has been here for years, playing with the kids wagging his tail and having a ball....

View more questions Search