Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmprice2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 12:27 AM
    In-Breeding Daushands
    I have a female and male daushand (no relation) they had 6 puppies. My questions is, if I keep one of the puppies what will happen if it breeds with my male or female.

I understand that there are rules on this but I don't know what they are.

Example: Puppy breeds with mother or father.

Can you let me know the rules?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quite honestly, if you don't know the answer to that question, you have no good reason to be breeding dogs. Line breeding reduces the gene pool that you are dealing with, which helps to fix a desired genetic trait, but it also increases the risk of recessive genes being expressed, which means it increases the risk of undesirable and lethal genetic problems. So, to do this correctly you need to know what the genetic background of the parents are, what traits you are breeding for, how they are genetically expressed, and what genetic baggage comes along with them.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 25, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Froggy is absolutely correct!

1.) If you really want to learn about breeding DACHSHUNDS you need to read everything you can from the Dachshund Club of America.

2.) Find a basic primer on genetics and utilize it.

3.)Learn about the health issues that cause so much pain and heartache for owners.

I would be very concerned with recessive genes since the Dachshund comes in the color Dapple. Merles and Dapples cause many health issues alone and if you are in-breeding and one or more of them have it you may end up with deaf and blind puppies.

Just because you have 2 purebred dogs doesn't mean you should breed. There are many, many other things to consider. Please be responsible and check out Welcome to DCA for more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat breeding [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old Chinchilla Persian was in heat since last Monday. I was not going to let her have any babies but then my friends are asking for her kittens so I decided to let her have one litter before I spay her. After a few days of looking for a stud, I found one today and it's been a week...

Dog breeding [ 1 Answers ]

Is it true that if a dog has puppies and then you keep one if you mate the puppy with the father does this make the blood line thick meaning does it make a better breed or does this cause problems as it does in humans

Breeding [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 18 mth old female mastiff x ridgeback and I would like to know how often the larger breed dogs go on heat. She has already had one season which was Oct/Nov 06. Please help... :confused:

Mix breeding ? [ 15 Answers ]

I think that my 8 pound terrier was bred by my neighbors dog which is about 110 pounds. I think that they had help. Is it possible for her to give birth to this mix with out killing her? I am really not sure if she is pregnant she was just at the vet Thursday and he did not mention it but this...

Dog breeding. [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a toy fox terrier have to be before she can have puppies?

View more questions Search