Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tija26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Please Help Losing Weight Rapidly
    My family member has a 7 yr old indoor rottweiler and he has begun to lose weight rapidly and stopped eating. As of one month ago he was a seemingly healthy dog, a little over weight and lazy. I would say he has lost 25lbs in about 1 month. There is also a large bump on the top of his head, which has always been there, but considering the weight loss it is difficult to tell if it has enlarged or just more apparent. He is still drinking water and urinating, and very coherent but is not eating anything that is offered, and has become more lazy for obvious reasons.

I am very close to this family member, but they are refusing to take him to the vet due to guilt. When he was a pup he had surgery on his hawk that had him down and in pain for many months. Their theory is "We've put him through too much in his life". They love this dog, but are being stubborn and I do not have the finances to take him to the vet myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm afraid we are running out of time.

Thank you for your help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Hi,
    A Vet is the only good answer!
    The bump on his head should be checked out by a Vet, and also given a checkup by the Vet. If they really believe that "they have put him through enough in his life", then it's really possible that he won't have much life left!
    A dog, especially a Rott, needs about 45 minutes walk a day, every day. One reason he is not eating could be because he is just simply not hungry; being a "couch potato". This is not normal for him.
    Dogs naturally run in packs. Notice the word "run". They need exercise, and the owners are not giving it what it needs. If it takes a 45 minute brisk walk, it will become hungry, if there is nothing wrong with his body, that only a Vet can determine. Dry dog food is best.
    If you can get the family to watch a TV program, they will learn an awful lot. It's a GREAT program. Here is some information:
    I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

The dog right now is in danger with this families' attitude. If they don't take him to a Vet, are they ready to accept the responsibility of what might happen to him?
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Apr 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
    If this dog has lost this much weight in only a month, you should seek immediate medical attention. It is normal for any dog to go off their food but after three days of not eating, medical counseling should be sought. There are many reasons for the dog to stop eating, but as I am not a vet,
    I while not try and diagnose him over the internet. You may if you would like to further research this try Pet Education.com it is a very good site when looking for an answer you really need. I hope this was in some way helpful to you. (O:
    claire1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Hello I Love Dogs Myself I Have A Staffishire Bull Terrior And When You Take On A Pet You Take On The Responabilaties Of Looking After It Try Looking For A Pdsa In Your Area You Can Take The Dog There It's a Vet They Will Be Able To Help You Only Have To Make A Small Donation Of Like A £5 Which Won't Break The Bank But If You Don't Do Something They Could Get Done For Animal Crulty And Recive A Fine Or Even A Prison Sentence Especially If The Dog Dies

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Losing Weight & Getting a Navel Piercing [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning on getting my bellybutton pierced. I am in the process of losing weight (alot of it on my belly.) My question is, will it look funny after I lose weight if I get it pierced now? Should I wait until I'm closer to having a leaner tummy?

Losing everything [ 17 Answers ]

Here's the thing, I've been with my girlfriend for about two months now and its been a great time but just recently about a month ago I lost three family members in a strange freak accident. That wasn't all. Now my cousins in a comma, and my parents are about to get divorced after an 18 year...

Need help on losing some fat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I'm 21 years old, 6"4 (193cm) tall and weight about 92kg (about 202lbs +-2). I'm practicing Ju Jitsu and stick fighting on a daily basis. We also lift weights once a week (instead of Ju Jitsu). I have a problem with my waist fat. I don't have any fat on my arms, and have very little...

Losing weight [ 2 Answers ]

In school, my health teacher is talking about us losing weight and healthfully and my mom was skinnier than me when she was my age I'm in 7th grd and my mom was 80-90 lbs and I'm different I'm 110-112lbs and I'm average but I'm skinny a lot of people say I'm skinny I'm always on the computer,...

View more questions Search