Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martina19882008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 04:42 PM
    How to teach 4 yr. old dog not to pee and poop in the house?
    I've had my German Shepard dog since she was 8 weeks old. I would say that my dog is very well potty trained, if I am at home. But once I leave the house, she finds different places to pee and poop. It's never just one or the other. She doesn't pee and poop in one place. She pees in one room and poops in another room. It's always like this, no matter how long we are gone from home. A few days ago, we took her outside to go bathroom, and she peed and pooped. But when we came back home 2-3 hours later, she had pooped and peed in the house. I feel like she's punishing us for leaving her because when we are at home, she can easily hold it in for 8-10 hours. I admit I haven't set up specific times in the day for her to go potty--I just take her out whenever she starts whining. I am now in the process of getting her used to going potty at 8am, 3pm, and 10pm. That is what fits my class schedule, and I also need advice on whether this schedule is possible for a dog--can she hold it for that long? Thanks a lot for your help.

I've crate trained her before, but she HATES the crate. I mean she absolutely HATES that thing. She would go bathroom in there and bark the whole time she was in there. We put her in the crate while we went out for a few hours
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
    It takes a while and you have to be patient. How big is your house? Why not try to have more "pots" and place it on areas where she stops by?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martina19882008
    I feel like she's punishing us for leaving her
    That's exactly what she is doing.

Does she have the run of the house while you are gone? Or does she have a "den," a crate that she can call her "home" while you are away? Check at the botton of this page for ideas (or do a site search for "den" or "crate") on how to get a dog used to being in a crate. It should not be a punishment, but a good thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Akita male 11.5 yrs poop in house [ 1 Answers ]

I have a male akita named Bear that started pooping in house about a year ago in another house after 10 years. Before that he would wait no matter how long. I had him checked by vet and muscles are fine. He seems to know what he is doing and will lay where he poops up against the wall. I...

How should I teach her about God? [ 7 Answers ]

In my school there is this girl that thinks about killing herself. She is in her brothers gang and cuts her arms. She has told people that she thinks about killing herself, and has almost killed someone. She is not dangerous anymore. I would really like to teach her about god. I am wondering...

My 4 year old dog still will pee or poop in the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell / Rat Terrier mix. She is sweet as she can be, but she still poops and pees in the house. We house trained her when she was a pup, and she does use the bathroom outside. However, she will go out sometimes and then come in the house and go poop in a room. She...

Can anyone teach a 15 yr old boy to speak? [ 1 Answers ]

My son has been aphasic since birth. My belief is, he his weak muscle syndrome he had, discouraged his use of his lips and tongue. Is there a phonetic system, perhaps with diagrams, that show the placement of tongue and lips, to make sounds? Extra info: he has had a speech pathologist. He or...

Should I teach? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise me concerning my current education situation. I'm a sophomore tunring into a junior at Rowan University and I was pursuing a major in English and certification to be a teacher. I wanted to be a high school or middle school English/Literature teacher, but I...

View more questions Search