Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Schnauzer dog
    My dog died recently and after taking a break, I am ready for another one----another Schnauzer like I have had in the past.
    I have the opportunity to get a 7 month old female. Housebroken, warm and very friendly. I am concerned with one thing------at what age can this type of dog be left alone for long periods. I am not retired yet and am gone over 10 hours a day. The dog will have access via doggie doors to good ourside areas for relieving themselves and playing and enjoying the outdoors. In the past, I have always had more than one dog so they were able to keep themselves company. THis time it will be just the one dog and I do not want to be unfair to the animal and won't take it on if I think it will be a problem leaving them alone. I do not think I can any longer handle more than one animal at a time. I would welcome any suggestions from Schnauzer, or other dog lovers who have been through this.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog passing. Do you have anyone you know that lives close by, or even a neighbors teen that could stop by during the day and take your new pup on a bit of a walk, or play with it for awhile during the day while you're gone?

I think if he is allowed access to outside, and has lots of chew toys and other things to play with, he will probably be fine. Have you got the time to take him on a good walk in the morning before you leave, and again when you get home?

I don't know your financial situation, but you might even look into a doggie daycare a few days a week if that is something that is within your budget. Otherwise, if your dog is well behaved, I'm sure a neighborhood kid would have fun playing or walking with your dog once a day or so.

Good luck! :)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 27, 2008, 03:08 PM
    I had my dog since he was 4 weeks old, and ever since he was 4 months old we could leave him alone he never messed in the house or chewed anything believ it or not he never chewed anything but toys. However my brothers dog is almost 2 years old and still chews shoes and things even if were gone for 5 minutes. So when we leave we usually leave the TV on(animal planet lol) or the radio so he doesn't feel as lonely. You can also give him one of your shirts or something to lay on with your scent on it so that he thinks you are near.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A mini schnauzer that doesn't bark! [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help answer me. I have a 9mth old Mini Schnauzer and he has never barked. He can do a whine but not a bark.:(

Any info for a 2 month old mini schnauzer? [ 2 Answers ]

I brought home a new edition to my family, a 2 month old mini schnauzer. She is the only pet I have and all she does is sleep and hasn't ate at all since I got her from the pet store. Should I be worried? She does play for a little while and potty's OK, just need to know if this is normal for her...

Potty problems with my Miniature Schnauzer [ 19 Answers ]

I am hoping someone might be able to help solve some problems I am having with our new puppy. Finzi is 14 weeks old, and we just got him a week ago. He is a product of a puppy mill, and for whatever reason, the pet stores passed on him and we got him from a rescue society. Finzi is...

Miniature schnauzer [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I happen to have an odd situation that I hope someone here will be able to help me with. I have a 5 month old miniature schnauzer. At least 4 or 5 times a day this odd sound comes out of him. I want to describe it as a sort of purring sound. He does it at any given time, and I have no idea...

Schnauzer won't eat unless bananas are with the food [ 10 Answers ]

My small Schnauzer has suddenly decided that he will not eat any of his meals unless there is some portion of a banana in the dish. He got his first taste of one when a piece fell on the floor and he gobbled it up before I could get it. I am concerned that this may not be good for this animal, but...

View more questions Search