Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ladywithafan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Daschunds & crate training
    I am thinking about adding a mini daschund to my family. I have a crate already. I work from 8-5 p.m. and no one will else is usually around. What is the best way to deal with housebreaking? Would this be wise?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Crates are a great tool, but I don't think a puppy would be a wise choice for you. They need a chance to relieve themselves plus until they are 4 months old, a third meal during the day. All day isn't that good for for an older dog although being crated restricts its activity extending the time it can go. Do you have a neighbor or could you find a professional dog walker to give any dog a mid day break? Otherwise you are going to be coming home to a puppy in a fouled crate.

I think you should look into adopting an older rescue dog. There are purebreds available. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year. A good rescue won't let you have a dog unless it is a good fit.
    Ladywithafan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Crates are a great tool, but I don't think a puppy would be a wise choice for you. They need a chance to relieve themselves plus until they are 4 months old, a third meal during the day. All day isn't that good for for an older dog although being crated restricts its activity extending the time it can go. Do you have a neighbor or could you find a professional dog walker to give any dog a mid day break? Otherwise you are going to be coming home to a puppy in a fouled crate.

I think you should look into adopting an older rescue dog. There are purebreds available. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year. A good rescue won't let you have a dog unless it is a good fit.

Thank you for the quick response!!

I will look into that... It's been awhile three years, since I had a mini-daschund and at that time, I was home most of the day...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Litter Boxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm the owner of a five-month old Daschund/Pomeranian mix. I have a few questions regarding issues we've had with his training so far. I've gotten so many opinions from so many people that now I'm doubting how good of a job I've done with him. My first issue is potty training. We...

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

Crate training adult maltese [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old female maltese. She has slept in bed with me now for 4 years and has never been crated at all including night time. I am now in a position where I can't have her sleep in bed with me. I purchased a crate for her that is pleanty big for her size, she is about 5 lbs. I've put...

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

View more questions Search